JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The formula is straightforward, as formulas tend to be, but also allows for great variation. Here it is:
  • 2 tablespoons fat
  • ½ pound onions, sliced
  • 1 pound veggies, chopped
  • 3 cups liquid
  • Seasonings: spice, acid, sweet, salt, umami
  1. Cook.
  2. Purée.
  3. Season.
  4. Garnish.
The above quantities serve 4-6 people and are infinitely multipliable.

My secret recipe for soup has just one ingredient...

1681631295678.png

I'm easy to please... or lazy... or both. 😁

The secret to really good soup?

Slow cooked cracked bones, carcasses, tidbits... naturally extracted "essence" for stock. If your base stock/liquid sucks (came in a box, can, powder, cube, etc.) your soup will always be lacking that critical bit and depth to really make it great.

Why limit the canvas to "chicken", "beef", "fish" generics?

The secret to really good soup?

Slow cooked cracked bones, carcasses, tidbits... naturally extracted "essence" for stock. If your base stock/liquid sucks (came in a box, can, powder, cube, etc.) your soup will always be lacking that critical bit and depth to really make it great.

Why limit the canvas to "chicken", "beef", "fish" generics?
Indeed. I'm the soup master and I've been making 7 bean soup.. starting with spare ribs and topping off with a pound of kielbasa, collard/mustard greens, etc. etc.
It's awesome.

Collards have to be in any soup worth eating.
I got tired of wanting to make soup and not having fresh greens in the house so for just such emergencies I've taken to having a couple big cans of southern style seasoned mixed greens in the house. Winco etc.
Oh, and when I make that above soup, I of course leave those meat laden spareribs in the soup. Coulda been confusing since we were talking about stock. The Polish sausage I prefer is Zenners brand, made here in Portland.
You can aaalmost stand a fork up in it since I like it like that.
Fresh hot cornbread pairs well.

So is casu marzu, but that doesn't change the fact that some things should only be consumed as rigor mortis preventatives... or "hold my beer" competitive sport events.
Should include snake-piss soup from China or Taiwan or wherever.

It's starting to sound like an episode of Fear Factor. :s0170:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads