JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Range toy IMO. Not a hard use duty type gun. Also .22 WMR is not an optimal cartridge for a woods gun, but would be fine for small critters. Wolves and mt lions may be a tall order.

I've known a couple of owners who didn't keep them very long because of issues with feed and general function problems. I think Springfield Armory is making one based on the 1911 but I have yet to see one first hand. Springfield builds some fine Guns.

Yea I'm not a big rimfire fan but I was looking at this as a cheap alternative to a 5.7 if the ballistics were close enough, and also as a lighter weight alternative to carrying 10mm

Yea I'm not a big rimfire fan but I was looking at this as a cheap alternative to a 5.7 if the ballistics were close enough, and also as a lighter weight alternative to carrying 10mm
A cheap alternative to anything is a 9mm and a .22 magnum out of a handgun is surprisingly lame.

Opinions on this gun and caliber and what purpose it would best serve? I'm intrigued with it, and think it may make a decent hiking gun. Is 22mag a capable wolf or mtn lion round?

Know some on the Kel-Tec forum who seem to love them. The biggest problem with them for a long time was ammo. When the great panic hit 22WMRF was far harder to come by than .22LR. It is back now but is still normally at least twice the price for not a whole lot of difference in ballistics. No doubt one would be fun. It would not be my choice for defense against 4 legged critters. I would certainly not hunt these critters with it as I would not want to wound one.

I put 2500 rounds through mine in the first year with only a handful of issues tht lead back to ME loading the mag wrong. There are definitely capable rounds for the .22 mag that can deal enough energy to put down medium game, and 30 rounds is ridiculously amazing. Plus, the gun weighs nothing. Ignore the naysayers, and try one out. There are so few on the secondary market compared to how many have been made that it should be clear that people are keeping them.

Those who say .22 wmr is weak, raise of hands: who wants to stand in front of one? No one. Okay.

Those mountain lions must be on drugs, right?

I put 2500 rounds through mine in the first year with only a handful of issues tht lead back to ME loading the mag wrong. There are definitely capable rounds for the .22 mag that can deal enough energy to put down medium game, and 30 rounds is ridiculously amazing. Plus, the gun weighs nothing. Ignore the naysayers, and try one out. There are so few on the secondary market compared to how many have been made that it should be clear that people are keeping them.

Those who say .22 wmr is weak, raise of hands: who wants to stand in front of one? No one. Okay.

Those mountain lions must be on drugs, right?
Do you carry yours instead of a 10mm for wolves and cougar or is it just a range toy?

Accurate, quick shooter, good trigger,light, 30 round mags. Not a .357, but still formidable. Regular .22 lr have brought down many deer, (not legal for deer in Oregon). In 40 years of wilderness hunting/hiking only have seen two cougar, they could not get away fast enough. Only thing I would worry about is an unhappy mama bear. BTW,these are LOUD! Think 30 shots of an air horn!
Have carried one outdoors many times since purchasing. I do have my favorite larger calibers also for other "predators".

Love the .22WMR. I've got a rifle chambered in it and it's a tack driver. But honestly, I wouldn't own anything Kel-Tec makes. Just my opinion.

I honestly think Kel Tec makes some awesome products and from what I hear has great customer support if there's ever a problem, I was more concerned about the capabilities of the round in a pistol, 22 mag in a rifle is a pretty decent round, I think 10mm is God's gift but finding something to comfortably carry in that round isn't possible. I think I may go check out some 5.7s this weekend.

I had one of the first ones. it was on back order nearly a year, mine had no particular problems with a correctly loaded mag. Fun to shoot, I was reasonably accurate to forty or fifty yards but more consistent with small game up to 30 (others may do better) and actually a good pointer for me. I remember liking the sights particularly well for old eyes. I can't remember if it was bullet brand sensitive so I'm saying not. It takes a little getting use to holstering a gun with a handle packed full of ammo whose girth is bigger than the business end. but draws very fast. Ended up not being enamored with semi autos for woods use in general so turned it loose and went with my revolver. Being old school, metal and wood just looks and feels better than plastic. albeit I'm packen more weight, some sacrifices are worth it to me..

I honestly think Kel Tec makes some awesome products and from what I hear has great customer support if there's ever a problem, I was more concerned about the capabilities of the round in a pistol, 22 mag in a rifle is a pretty decent round, I think 10mm is God's gift but finding something to comfortably carry in that round isn't possible. I think I may go check out some 5.7s this weekend.

10mm is freaking awesome, that I can agree with. Kel Tec making "awesome products" not so much. To each his own.

If you want a conventional pistol smaller than 9mm that shoots flat and fast, how about 7.62x25? The Tokarev is slender with graceful lines similar to a Colt 1908. JHP ammo is available. Cases can be formed from .223. And just for fun there's the Vz52.
What's not to like?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR