JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you carry yours instead of a 10mm for wolves and cougar or is it just a range toy?

I wouldn't feel undergunned. I kept it handy for days when I worked downtown in case I had to get home on foot.

For bears I do carry a 327TRR8. What's the point of a gun like 10mm that's "kinda" like a .357 when you can just carry a .357?

I wouldn't concern myself with attacks from animals. I retired from WDFW and the only issue with animals is when they are hurt or very old. A lot like me. Carry something that will be useful if you are attacked by a human. Greater danger from them. My hiking gun is a Tauras Ultralight in .38 SPL. Lightweight and a man stopper at close range.

I love shooting mine. It did go back to KT for feed issues but has worked great since. Fun gun to shoot; it's accurate (great trigger), high capacity and LOUD. It's one of the few handguns my wife likes to shoot. Does remind me of shooting the five-seven in many ways.

The biggest benefit to me is it's weight to firepower ratio. I have a cheap uncle mikes holster that holds a spare mag. with that combo I have 60 rnds packing that weighs NOTHING.

I wouldn't feel undergunned. I kept it handy for days when I worked downtown in case I had to get home on foot.

For bears I do carry a 327TRR8. What's the point of a gun like 10mm that's "kinda" like a .357 when you can just carry a .357?
Because ballistics of 10mm generally exceed 357 and are closer to 41mag and because you unleash 16 rounds of it very quickly out of a g20 where an SA revolver isn't quick at all and a DA revolver isn't quick and accuracy can be compromised.. not bagging on the wheel guns because one of my go to' s is a SA 44mag. But if the shtf and I had a mountain lion after me id go to the 10mm any day before the revolver.

Dad has one and it is hands down my favorite pistol to shoot. Loud is an under statement. he has a 22mag henrey too and it's easily 2x louder. I'd absolutely carry it as a woods gun here in the PNW. In my experience, of you take your time and load the mags right(very important!) they function great! believe it or not out of the two 22 mag guns I just mentioned, the Henry is the only one we had problems with and had to be sent back. Clearing a FTE in a tube fed lever gun is the worst!(came back from Henry GTG though)
Keep in mind PMRs like heavier loads, and as with many semi auto rim fires, it can be picky and will cycle some ammo better than others. Now that it's back on the shelves, you can try a few different varieties and figure which one does best... for dad's it's CCI maxi-mag 40g HPs. Hornady makes a Critical Defense 45grain. Awesome load if you can find it.

My biggest concern with them is that the fill plug always seems to leak.

images.jpg

The thing you gotta consider with kel tec is they push thier products out before working out all the bugs and let the customers be the beta testers. we get cool innovative guns to play with that aren't always exactly reliable... at least not initially... but they are relatively inexpensive, hella fun to shoot, and eventually the bugs get worked out...hopefully

The thing you gotta consider with kel tec is they push thier products out before working out all the bugs and let the customers be the beta testers. we get cool innovative guns to play with that aren't always exactly reliable... at least not initially... but they are relatively inexpensive, hella fun to shoot, and eventually the bugs get worked out...hopefully

Totally agree. They got some cool stuff but like I said in my first post, 90% of it should be considered range toys, not hard use duty gear.

Personally I'm not big on range toys, I like to be able to go to any of my guns and rely 100% on them, and $500 for the pmr, that's really kind of an expensive unreliable range toy.

Because ballistics of 10mm generally exceed 357 and are closer to 41mag and because you unleash 16 rounds of it very quickly out of a g20 where an SA revolver isn't quick at all and a DA revolver isn't quick and accuracy can be compromised.. not bagging on the wheel guns because one of my go to' s is a SA 44mag. But if the shtf and I had a mountain lion after me id go to the 10mm any day before the revolver.

Uh... the S&W 327TRR8 isn't a single action. It's an 8 shot DA/SA Performance Center gun. Accuracy in DA is astounding. If you can't shoot well in DA, practice. If you don't want to, well, keep touting the 10mm glock, but don't assume others aren't fast and accurate because you aren't.

If you think a mountain lion is going to rush through a barrage of 8-16 rounds of anything, I think you need to read a little less fiction.

Personally I'm not big on range toys, I like to be able to go to any of my guns and rely 100% on them, and $500 for the pmr, that's really kind of an expensive unreliable range toy.
If they were still $500+ i'd agree, but I see them for $375 or less all the time now. Even the hard to find CMR30 can be had for around $500. Well worth those prices IMO... nothing on the market has even close to that kind of capacity and capability besides the 5.7 and while it's a much better gun, both gun and ammo are 3x the price. My fathers PMR30 has been 100% reliable. although it can be expensive to shoot. it's way to easy to burn through boxes of ammo when they go 30 at a time.

Yea I think in the mid 300s it would be a good investment, and I'm sure a mtn lion could be taken down just fine by a 327, Its all preference I like the larger capacity, and better ballistics to play in my favor because in a crisis situation I don't think I'll have performance center gun accuracy.

Seen one at bimart for $350 about two months ago. I didn't pick it up but kinda wish I had. 30 rounds of about anything available would stop most predators. Though I wouldn't want to test it on mamma bear.

Scratch that, WON'T test it on mamma bear.

My PMR-30 is in my bugout bag along with my G-20. my Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot has 1050 muzzle velocity out of a 2" barrel so it will be more out of a 4.3" barrel. Close to 22LR out of a rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top