JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe...
I don't doubt that some "news" is staged or managed to push a agenda.
But...
People have never really needed a reason to do something stupid either....
And then there is always the old Sh!t happens at times.

With "instant news" / social media , events can be seen as happening "all the time"....

With guns however , it never hurts to be safe and check and re-check to see if the gun is unloaded before practicing a skill with it or showing it to a friend etc....
There are no "do overs" , nor can you call that bullet back , once you fire that gun....
This is a lesson that is important to remember , be it for a new gun owner or a seasoned gun owner.
Andy

Part of me just doesn't want to believe that the human race is that dang dumb!!:(

Maybe...
But...
But... to stage an illegal, and potentially lift threatening event would be an act of lunacy.
There are no doubt news 'stories' that have been skewed or embellished on to create an illusion of something different or to alter public opinion but I doubt 'staging' an obvious dangerous event has taken place.
I doubt.....

Maybe...
But...
People have never really needed a reason to do something stupid either....
And then there is always the old Sh!t happens at times.

With "instant news" / social media , events can be seen as happening "all the time"....

With guns however , it never hurts to be safe and check and re-check to see if the gun is unloaded before practicing a skill with it or showing it to a friend etc....
There are no "do overs" , nor can you call that bullet back , once you fire that gun....
This is a lesson that is important to remember , be it for a new gun owner or a seasoned gun owner.
Andy
Yep. A poor or laxidasical attitude are detrimental to safety.

The term "attitude" comes up over and over in firearms training education.

The thread feels a lot judg-y. As if you all are perfect.

Yes, this guy needs to pay for the damage.

Yes, it could have been worse.

What law should he be charged with - something like discharging a firearm in the city? (misdemeanor, no possibility of 1 yr jail time)
punishment - community service.

I would not be rushing to pull his rights.

If there are other facts not in the news coverage, then so be it.

As to more incidences, there are more gun owners recently and a large percentage of them are inexperienced.

Want to share your methods of being safe, please do.

Calling this guy names, please stop. (idiot, moron, dummy ....)

If I did something like this which almost killed my neighbor I would also be deserving of the same criticism. My feelings would be irrelevant.

Gonna have to agree, a bit, with the above.

I am quite far from a novice, but I will offer that there has been a learning curve becoming a EDC'er.

The first time I ejected a round from a gun that I thought was unloaded, I made a mental note that at some point I would narc myself off here, to keep myself humble.

Dad is still alive, but he won't be kicking my butt anytime soon. That is my job now.

ANYONE that would think that another restrictive law is going to help is missing the big picture?

Last Edited:
The thread feels a lot judg-y.
I don't feel it's 'judgmental' - maybe critical though.
When I read something like this 'I thought I had dummy ammo in the gun', Or the post about the guy shooting himself in the leg (after a few beers), these acts are beyond negligence and criticism is not unwarranted.

My brother in law was dicking around with his little Ruger after a few (several) beers and shot himself in the leg. Had to tell ER it was an accident while cleaning. I asked him what really happened and not to give me the BS about cleaning the gun. Hence my first sentence. People do st00pid things.

Alcohol and firearms are not a good mix.

But... to stage an illegal, and potentially lift threatening event would be an act of lunacy.
There are no doubt news 'stories' that have been skewed or embellished on to create an illusion of something different or to alter public opinion but I doubt 'staging' an obvious dangerous event has taken place.
I doubt.....

Other than those "Jackazz" vids, and "Hold my beer" moment caught on video, we should recall the auto crash explosions engineered by MSM.

The thread feels a lot judg-y. As if you all are perfect.

Judgy... Hell yeah!! I don't need to be perfect to call out someone for gun handling stupidity. Heck, I'll even call out members for stupid posts, of which I make enough myself. I expect others to do the same. Enough with the snowflake attitude... are we mice, or are we men, or women, errrr whatever!!! :p

I doubt.....
Since you quoted part of my post...
Edit to add :
My " I don't doubt"....means just that ....I don't doubt it....but that does not mean that it is actually true...hence my "Maybe" ..
In my post which was partially quoted.

Yes I find it a "act of lunacy" as well.

Lets talk lunacy...
Many anti-gun folks think that a new ban or law will stop folks with guns from harming others...
Someone once wiser that me once stated that :
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over m but expecting different results.

So since almost all new gun proposed laws are the variations of lets ban this...which has been tried over and over...and have yet not stopped crime....
But many of these same people , think that yet another ban , will be the one that works...Lunacy or insanity , according to the above quote.

Following that idea...

Why wouldn't these same people who are insane , not stage a event / new story like the above...?
Does it happen..?...I don't really know..I would guess it may happen , which was my point of what you quoted.
Does it happen often...Again I really don't know...
Would you or I do such a thing... I wouldn't and I am pretty sure that you wouldn't do it either...
But then...
We aren't talking about you or I ...
But we are dealing with unreasonable folks...and for me at least...it bears the possibility that an event like this , could be or may be staged at times...
Andy

What to charge them with.... how about some form of negligent damage and putting others lives at risk. How bout discharging a firearm within city limits. How about disturbing the peace.

I don't want to see the guy lose his gun rights over this, but maybe part of a diversion agreement would be to take and then teach gun safety classes. But if someone had been hurt, different deal entirely!!

What to charge them with.... how about some form of negligent damage and putting others lives at risk. How bout discharging a firearm within city limits. How about disturbing the peace.

I don't want to see the guy lose his gun rights over this, but maybe part of a diversion agreement would be to take and then teach gun safety classes. But if someone had been hurt, different deal entirely!!
I think being required to take a gun safety class for people who do things like this is a great idea.

I think being required to take a gun safety class for people who do things like this is a great idea.

Thanx. I think that the additional requirement of teaching (under supervision) is not just to penalize someone, although it is one way for them to give back to the community they have harmed, but that having to teach a subject really ingrains it into the person's core. We often find that people that have done wrong become quite passionate about sharing their mistakes/experience and new skills/attitudes with others!!! It's intended to be more of a good thing than a punishment...

Note: The best security/safety presentation I ever attended while working at a bank was given by a reformed bank robber.

but maybe part of a diversion agreement would be to take and then teach gun safety classes.
I don't necessarily agree with the teach part but definitely the TAKE part - sort of like when people are cited for certain traffic infractions.
Maybe the 'teaching' part could be relegated to having to attend a class as a 'guest speaker' to explain what he did and how it could have been prevented.

My brother in law was dicking around with his little Ruger after a few (several) beers and shot himself in the leg. Had to tell ER it was an accident while cleaning. I asked him what really happened and not to give me the BS about cleaning the gun. Hence my first sentence. People do st00pid things.
Pretty sure the "dummy round" story is the same deal with this dummy.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews