JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No one ever is until they are and then it's too late. Yep, moron.
When I was a kid my old man would kick me in rear end if I didn't check to see if a gun was loaded when I handled it. It was painful and embarrassing but I certainly learned quickly. It takes but a second to make sure a gun is unloaded and prevent a tragic accident.
There is no good excuse for unsafe gun handling.

There are no firearm accidents, only negligence.

Remember the five safety rules and you will never have a negligent discharge:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
5. Know your target and what is beyond

I will also add that, when handling weapons, double check everything. If someone hands me a rifle and says it's unloaded you bet I'm checking the chamber and racking the slide three times. Safety is no accident and safety is no joke.

I'm glad nobody was hurt with this negligent discharge. The young man needs some additional training and I hope he grows into a safe and responsible citizen.

Dear 22 year old Keizer man....dry firing.. take your ammo, all of it, and put it in a room away from your gun. check your gun, gun barrel,and all your mag's at least 6 times. before beginning dry fire practice. Do not go near your ammo until practice is completely done..

There are no firearm accidents, only negligence.

Remember the five safety rules and you will never have a negligent discharge:

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
5. Know your target and what is beyond

I will also add that, when handling weapons, double check everything. If someone hands me a rifle and says it's unloaded you bet I'm checking the chamber and racking the slide three times. Safety is no accident and safety is no joke.

I'm glad nobody was hurt with this negligent discharge. The young man needs some additional training and I hope he grows into a safe and responsible citizen.

This is a most excellent posting....!

While only some what related. if I may take a slight thread drift....
Hunting season is coming up ...and if you hunt with a muzzleloader , there are times that you may not be able or want to clear your unfired rifle.
If I may suggest a trick that I do when this happens to me...

If I need to store a loaded muzzleloader I :
Make sure that I have no percussion cap or priming on the firearm...
I then slide a wide strip of red cloth between the ramrod and barrel , near the muzzle , to remind me of having a load in the firearm

To check to see if a muzzleloader is empty , first see if a cap or priming in the gun...if so remove , then drop the ramrod down the bore...you should hear a metallic "clink" of the ramrod hitting the breech , not a 'thunk: of the ramrod hitting lead...also most if not all of the ramrod should be in the bore...

it is a good idea to "score" or make a marking ring on the ramrod , so you can see just how far the ramrod extends out from the muzzle when the gun is loaded.

Sorry for the thread drift..
Andy

My mom was almost accidently shot like this by her brother a long time ago. He was showing an old 1911 to a family friend. Took it out of the surplus WW2 holster (not practice drawing) and BOOM.

The bullet went 2 feet above her head and lodged itself into the stud behind the plasterboard. She was sitting down on the couch, if she had been standing it would have been a very, very, bad day.

It's as if you'd have to practice being reckless to achieve that level of incompetence.
Yep - it's backwards but true.
How do you mistake thinking you have dummy rounds in the gun?
Aren't they like bright orange ? (Providing he was using the actual snap caps and not someone's 'home made' dummy rounds)

My brother in law was dicking around with his little Ruger after a few (several) beers and shot himself in the leg. Had to tell ER it was an accident while cleaning. I asked him what really happened and not to give me the BS about cleaning the gun. Hence my first sentence. People do st00pid things.

I don't think these news stories are staged. Broadcast with political motivation to defame gun owners, yes, but I believe that the stupid gun owners actually performed the act (guy who shot his Uber driver in Seattle recently, guy whose wife was shot by their kid in SeaTac this spring, etc.). There have also been other negligent discharges (which are also accidental unless you think these gun owners deliberately decided to fire the round) in Washington state which haven't made the news.

Yes they are becoming more frequent and I do not agree with them being 'staged' .
The level of 'new' first time gun owners is at an all time high with a lot of them becoming owners as adults and never having been raised around guns and learning gun safety at a young age.
I have bee around, and listened to some of these 'new' owners and their attitudes an approach to gun ownership is very different than say those I know who grew up with what I consider to be 'traditional' gun ownership.

Is it me or are these stupid, incompetent stories becoming more and more frequent? Does anyone else think maybe they are staged to help push an agenda?
Maybe...
I don't doubt that some "news" is staged or managed to push a agenda.
But...
People have never really needed a reason to do something stupid either....
And then there is always the old Sh!t happens at times.

With "instant news" / social media , events can be seen as happening "all the time"....

With guns however , it never hurts to be safe and check and re-check to see if the gun is unloaded before practicing a skill with it or showing it to a friend etc....
There are no "do overs" , nor can you call that bullet back , once you fire that gun....
This is a lesson that is important to remember , be it for a new gun owner or a seasoned gun owner.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top