JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm probably over complicating it but how do you find the proper stock length say for a ar15?

I've seen some vids about how hand posture goes out of wack and whats comfortable to you and I don't see a real difference shooting from fully collapse or all the way out. That or I'm not recognizing the difference.

I don't see a real difference shooting from fully collapse or all the way out. That or I'm not recognizing the difference.
I dont see how you couldn't see the difference....
In my amateur experience when you shoulder the rifle ( any rifle) the sight picture (scope or irons) should be in focus.

Close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, open eyes and if the front sight or scope reticle is not in focus then adjust the scope position or stock length. Do not stare at the sights it should be instant.

Screenshot_20231116_202402.jpg

I dont see how you couldn't see the difference....
In my amateur experience when you shoulder the rifle ( any rifle) the sight picture (scope or irons) should be in focus.

Close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, open eyes and if the front sight or scope reticle is not in focus then adjust the scope position or stock length. Do not stare at the sights it should be instant.
I got a red dot on there so focus and eye relief isn't a issue. I'm guessing I'm wondering if there's some sort of mechanics behind length. Longer stock means better leverage.

I'm a tall feller with long arms and I run my stocks two clicks from fully collapsed. The AR isn't the most ergonomic design and I find them too front-heavy. However, having a carbine stock nearly collapsed will make it feel better balanced and won't feel strange when using a more "tactical" stance (arms close to the body, less bladed). If you use a marksman bladed stance, a longer stock becomes more comfortable.

It's too bad that other 5.56 platforms aren't more common/affordable. There are far more ergonomic options out there (and some that are worse... the X95 feels and handles like a 2x12)

Since this is a collapsible stock...adjust the stock length until it is :
Comfortable for you....
And to where you can consistently hit your target...
Done...and don't worry how someone else does it.
Andy

From this site:

When you do head to the range it is important that your rifle is set up for success. With a multi-position stock you should check to see that it is set correctly for your stature. To check for proper length of pull, drop the buttstock into the crook of your shooting arm and grip the pistol grip. If your wrist is bent the buttstock is not long enough. This is a common error, as many shooters go for a short stock when, in fact, a slightly longer stock would enhance their control of the rifle. You will be able to control recoil much better and have more power if you are not contorted into a compressed shooting position. If your buttstock is too short, you will also have a hard time getting into a prone position.

I got a red dot on there so focus and eye relief isn't a issue. I'm guessing I'm wondering if there's some sort of mechanics behind length. Longer stock means better leverage.
Seeing as you're new here, I hope you're not taking offense to anything? We have a LOT of fun around here at others, and ourselves, expense! AND, a lot of valuable information is also available. Sometimes you got to wait a bit for it maybe. :D

Yes there is... the question myself and others forgot to ask is what distance your shooting at?

You can get positive results and still not using proper technique. I know i can hit my targets with the stock fully collapsed but i also have enough experience to know to adjust for cheek weld and the short ergonomics. It can work but its not as comfortable.

My guess is it might not matter at say 50yds, but if your shooting out to 2 or 300 yds its best to have the length of pull adjusted to fit you correctly.

I'm probably over complicating it but how do you find the proper stock length say for a ar15?

I've seen some vids about how hand posture goes out of wack and whats comfortable to you and I don't see a real difference shooting from fully collapse or all the way out. That or I'm not recognizing the difference.
I've found if I hold the rifle with the barrel pointed at the ceiling, elbow at a 90 degree angle then bring the stock down till it touches your bicep. This has always given me a comfortable LOP, helps if your bicep is relaxed and not flexing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top