JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't typically unload my carry or house gun when I put then in the safe. My routine when I get home is to open the safe, put my EDC in without unloading and retrieve my bedside gun. Then in the morning same routine again without unloading. Other pistols and long guns are only loaded when I'm out in the field/range….

I'm wondering how many do the same or some variation of this?

All my guns in my house safe (Often used) are condition 1.

My guns in my shop safe are all unloaded.

My thought is...they are on me or locked up, but always ready.

All the guns I own are loaded unless I'm cleaning them. The S/A .22's are kept without a round in the chamber but the mags are loaded. Same with last shotgun that's long been a safe queen. Magazine is loaded nothing chambered. All other hand guns are loaded and chambered whether in the safe or not. Always figured if things are going south and I get into the safe I want everything I grab loaded. If I am packing up long guns to go to the range I unload them for the trip there since it's the law here.

This was posted in a recent thread here.

9 Myths about Fireproof Gun Safe Fire Ratings - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

''Storing flammable or explosive materials unnecessarily in a fire protection safe doesn't make a lot of sense. I have yet to see anyone with an opinion on this say that it's a good idea to store ammo in the same gun safe as your guns and valuables.

According to Vincent DiMaio's book Gunshot Wounds, .22 LR cartridges will detonate ("cook off") repeatably at only 275 °F. .38 Special rounds make it until 290 °F, and 12 Gauge shells cook off at around 390 °F. Interestingly in these cook off experiments, the primers did not go off — it was the powder.

You'll see below that the metals used in ammunition gather heat faster than other materials, so in a fire ammo will heat up faster than the other valuables in your gun safe. A home fire carries a real risk of setting off the ammo inside your safe even before a 350 °F internal temperature is reached''.

This was posted in a recent topic here.

9 Myths about Fireproof Gun Safe Fire Ratings - Gun Safe Reviews Guy

You'll see below that the metals used in ammunition gather heat faster than other materials, so in a fire ammo will heat up faster than the other valuables in your gun safe. A home fire carries a real risk of setting off the ammo inside your safe even before a 350 °F internal temperature is reached''.

This is one of those Don't try this at home. When I was a kid and we were always trying to find some way to get hurt we tossed ammo in a fire a few times. The results were a real let down. The stuff makes a pop and that's about it. Smokeless powder does not blow up like most think it does. It has to be under pressure. So the idea that ammo is going to explode in a fire is not going to happen like some seem to think it is. Now black powder is a different animal but not much of that ammo around now days. For those who use it in guns the cans of it would be a real possible bomb. When we were kids and pulling bullets out of cartridges to burn the powder we found this out. Got hold of some BP rounds one kids dad rolled for one of his guns. Poured out a pile and when we went to light it we were left with singed eyebrows. When I look back on it now it's amazing we all ended up with all fingers and eyes intact. :D

No one will know until I grab one out of my safe to eliminate the threat at hand if the one I am carrying isn't enough. But I will say that all guns in my house are treated like they are loaded at all times and no one goes into my safe but me.:D

This is one of those Don't try this at home. When I was a kid and we were always trying to find some way to get hurt we tossed ammo in a fire a few times. The results were a real let down. The stuff makes a pop and that's about it. Smokeless powder does not blow up like most think it does. It has to be under pressure. So the idea that ammo is going to explode in a fire is not going to happen like some seem to think it is. Now black powder is a different animal but not much of that ammo around now days. For those who use it in guns the cans of it would be a real possible bomb. When we were kids and pulling bullets out of cartridges to burn the powder we found this out. Got hold of some BP rounds one kids dad rolled for one of his guns. Poured out a pile and when we went to light it we were left with singed eyebrows. When I look back on it now it's amazing we all ended up with all fingers and eyes intact. :D

I'm not thinking it will Blow! :s0140:
Just burn well enough inside your safe to destroy all your valuables.

Think of all the powder [from ammo] in your safe poured out and lit on fire?
Would your Glock and wood stocked rifles survive? ;)

You have to be a contortionist to access my safe, sometimes I wonder how the heck I ever got it in there.
Because of that, they go in cleared, actions open. If the action isn't open, as far as I'm concerned, it is loaded.
When I receive my CHL, my side arm will always be Condition 1.

However you store your guns ... Make sure the system you use works for you.
Once you decide on what works for you , do not deviate from your system.
If other folks have access to the safe , make sure they are doing as you do.

In my house only the house gun is loaded.
Every once in awhile , during hunting season a muzzle loader might be left loaded.
If so I slide a piece of red patch cloth between the ramrod and the barrel.
The gun will be loaded but unprimed or not capped at this time.
Andy

open the safe, put my EDC in without unloading and retrieve my bedside gun

My bedside gun is my EDC gun (Walther PPQ). I take my clothes off to get in bed, gun goes on the nightstand. In the morning I put my clothes on, gun goes back in the holster.

As to the condition of the guns in my safe, I don't know. I just assume "Every gun is loaded".

If any guns are loaded in the safe they are the ones in a holster with trigger protection.

Each safe has one loaded pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads