JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you're in the minority you can only win by making alliances. To be an ally means you have to go show up for people you want to ally with.
What's normally called the 'left' is a coalition between corporate funded moderates and grassroots liberal and left movements.
All gun-control initiatives come out of the corporate funded moderate side of the house.
There have been zero grassroots driven gun control efforts with any staying power.
The grassroots movements that do have staying power, that are self-funded or getting money from small foundations AFTER they are launched have been, lately, the various African-American led movements for police accountability, the immigrant led movements against deportations and the holding centers for undocumented workers, the fast-food workers movements. All of these movements have elements that would sit down to talk with pro 2A advocates if the 2A advocates could control their impulses to be racist d--ks.

What is there to sit down and talk about? The fact that tax stamps should disappear and country wide carry should go through asap? That this entire issue of armed men and women was decided 200 years ago and is non-negotiable?

I f you want to stop the infringement of gun rights in Oregon you have to have allies across the ideological divide on other issues. Period. Because, as B. Traven wrote: "It's the real world, muchachos, and you are in it."

[QUOTE "MikeE, post: 1224345, member: 4854"]I f you want to stop the infringement of gun rights in Oregon you have to have allies across the ideological divide on other issues. Period. Because, as B. Traven wrote: "It's the real world, muchachos, and you are in it."[/QUOTE]

Continue.

I f you want to stop the infringement of gun rights in Oregon you have to have allies across the ideological divide on other issues. Period. Because, as B. Traven wrote: "It's the real world, muchachos, and you are in it."
Thinking Far left Folks will suddenly diss their Party and vote pro 2A is a fantasy of the calguns.net crowd and it seems to have infected other states folks who look at themselves as He Men outdoorsmen yet in election cycle after election cycle they vote like Anti-Gun Irvine California Liberal Oriental Soccer Moms...

Yes, I'd like to hear how this works too.

="MikeE, post: 1224345, member: 4854"]I f you want to stop the infringement of gun rights in Oregon you have to have allies across the ideological divide on other issues. Period. Because, as B. Traven wrote: "It's the real world, muchachos, and you are in it."[/QUOTE]

Continue.

Guess what, there's no road map. The experiment I'd like to see would be some 2A folks talking with some 'Hands Up Don't Shoot' kids. The agreement could be around how to get more accountability in the justice system, something that would benefit both causes. This would not mean trashing the police, but would be about finding common ground around civil liberties. If 2A supporters, usually viewed as old white men, met with these groups, it would be a minor political earthquake.
I will say that I have attended meetings of another grassroots organizing campaign that shall remain unnamed, where young organizers wondered how they could bring pro-gun groups into the cause.So this thinking exists in the non-establishment left. The question is who has the political maturity to talk. Even talk would go a long way.

Pro Gun Groups are made up of many other people than Old White Guys , but the tiny fractions of Far Left & Left leaning Folks who would throw Liberal Causes under the Bus for 2A is not something that would be worth pandering to to the point of moving left to Join them.

Well, I for One, am Glad Joe put this thread into Action... There have been some poor choices of words in a few, but I will stay On Topic.

Given: inalinable rights, there should be No Method, of legally limiting those Rights.

Given: that anti-gun proponents have spent Millions of Dollars on the West Coast, to create ~The Appearance~ Of Laws which violate our inalienable rights, only Two things can honestly Correct the issue at hand.

1. Legally Challange, each letter, of Each Word, of Each Bill.
2. Prepare for the inevitable outcome. Fighting Confiscation.

Don't mince words. The Elephant is Gun Confiscation. Period.

My thoughts, at 64 years, Ten Months, is Understand the consequences of not doing the first. It is not a pretty picture. What was called "The Civil War" had Nothing civil about it. Our earlier Start of our Republic, was done... only after an Extremely Long Detailed Process of putting forth our grievances to the Government of that Time.

As today, the Government, then, did not give One Iota of concern.

It took Raw Courage to Create the original Federation, that became the United States of America.

Study what is Occurring County, by County, in Real Time, as we write...

County Ordinances being PASSED, to Defy, at County Level, any potential laws enacted at State Level... When the Reality is, none of (the current gun issues) relate to Actively STOPPING CRIMINALS!!!!

What Elephant???

The dying nation, as I grew up in... Buying single rounds of 22LR at age 12, because I could not afford a full box of fifty. Openly carrying GrandPa's 22 Winchester, without a single neighbor, ~of Any Ethnicity~ Being concerned and calling the Police.

Enough said, I think I am finally going to sleep... @ 0530 ... No, I have not slept today... The Concern for my Country... Is Paramount, so I joke, I jest, I make funny writing...

This is the Real Me. I pulled guard mount in TayNinh, RVN, with as Much Trepidation as I have, Right Now, in my own Country.

philip :mad:

And again, Thank You Joe....

If, with Brown's accession to power, the current gun control posture changes in Salem with this new regime and crusading begins, there will be a flood of out of state money dumped into Oregon to further a nationwide anti-gun-ownership agenda.
I'm certain Bloomberg and his storm troopers are simply slobbering all over themselves with this gift that has been dropped in their lap. I could be wrong, but I've always seen OR as more of a CA wannabe state than WA... this situation definitely increases the chances of a successful I-594 clone passing. :mad:

Last Edited:
I like what BoonDocks36 has to say above. Apologies for using the worn out frog in the pot analogy below, but he reminded my of how far we have come.

As an 8yr old boy I often walked through our neighborhood with 3-4 other boys all packing .22s and shotguns heading out to the boonies for a day of shooting rabbits, squirrels and land locked carp.

No one every batted an eye or made any fuss at the sight of us boys. This was in the outskirts of Sacramento, Calif.

Then the water was a comfortable 78 degrees. Today, if a boy bites his pop-tart into the shape of a gun he is hauled into the office and disciplined by the apparatchik. So the question now is, what temperature is the water...120? 140? 180?...regardless, the opposition continues to apply heat with no intention of stopping...ever.

Someone mentioned sitting down to discuss the issue...the old lets reach across the aisle with respect. While that conjures up good feelings and allows one to feel as though they are taking the high road, I would submit it is nothing more than forcing the ROE on one side while the other side are using a politically correct form of domestic terrorism towards those who cling to their guns, bibles, and love of the gift afford to us by the God inspired wisdom of the founding fathers.

I do not believe reaching across the aisle will work any better for us than it does for Israel when attempting to take the high road with their neighbors. It does not work for them because their neighbors are committed to the destruction of their homeland much in the same way as our "neighbors" are committed to the destruction of independence and freedom in our country.

I don't know what the answer is. I feel what is pressing is beyond my/our control.

What I do know is it is time to look at the Elephant and name it...and as stated above, it is without a doubt, confiscation.

I'm still waiting for the folks on the left that are offended by pro-gunners to tell us what we can do to stop offending them so they'll stop attacking our rights. There have been a number of folks on this forum that continue to chastise those that would call a spade a spade and identify those that are going after our rights time and time again. How does keeping quiet about that help?

So I'll ask again, as I've done several times before, what do the folks who are offended by the comments of some here have to offer in the way of real, constructive suggestions to turn this whole issue into one that does in fact cross party lines? What can be done to stop this non-ending assault by one particular party against gun rights? And I'm looking for something more concrete than the typical 'let's reach across the aisles' type of comment. It's a nice sentiment, but it just doesn't work. Many have tried, only to be ignored entirely or shot down.

Looking at comments like those made this week by Clackamas County Commissioner Martha Schrader to her fellow party constituents made it clear - she has no intention of reaching across the aisle. She is on the attack and has asked her preferred party to rally around her in her cause. Why aren't more and more folks on her side demanding that they leave our rights alone?

I'd still love to hear some real suggestions. Unfortunately, I've been rather disappointed at the silent 'majority' we're told are out there, but are too offended by the small 'fringe' of pro-gun activists. Rather than using them as an excuse to remain silent, how about they cross the aisle? How about they get involved? How about they launch a rally on the steps of the capitol to make clear, in no uncertain terms, that gun rights need to be left alone - period.

Donate to OFF now.

Donate to OFF IF Kevin plans on getting VERY VISIBLE and starts planning rallies and getting the media involved EVEYWHERE, and for a long while.

Otherwise, donate/join elsewhere, because the above is what we need to shut these folks down, and in my opinion, OFF isn't close to being visible enough to do much good..

Last Edited:
Just looked her up... could be Maria Cantwell's sister... what is it with this cookie cutter politicians these days? First knock is that she is another lawyer within the ranks. No offense to our lawyer forum members, but I think we have way too many -- for damn sure in politics. Parting line says she is married and lives with her spouse, Dan, in Portland.

So will there be a special, out of cycle election to replace Kitzhaber or does Oregon law simply leave in place the next in line? I did not realize OR was one of a few states that does not have a Lt. Governor position... not that that would have mattered much, in all likelihood, in the context of gun laws. From everything I read, the odds are she is a shoe in for a re-election... now or in the next cycle. To a great extent OR and WA share a similar plight. Their state politics have been overrun by major city corridors filled with transient folks whose biggest concern is whether they have enough money for the latest Droid and cool app... and who have no real skin in the game (real property, long term ties to the area, etc.). Vote for the party offering the free lunch on my neighbors dime... its the populist movement... a Saul Alinsky tenant.

From the not too distant "occupy" movements and the utter gutter of life demonstrated in downtown Portland to this, my condolences go out to the disenfranchised population in the state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top