JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As most of you know, Kate Brown is now the Governor of Oregon. Most of you also realize the consequences as it pertains to our firearm rights. Nearly all of other threads on this subject have been locked due to the inability of people to follow the rules and approach this subject with maturity, and as it pertains to our firearm rights. I hold gun owners as a group in very high regard. It really disappoints me when those in our group fail to take the high road. I believe everyone here has the capacity to understand that non-firearm political talk is a no-go on NWFA. It makes no sense to me how people can work so hard to defend our rights, then cast a shadow over our group in the name of humor.

Like it or not, Northwest Firearms and your gun rights are both political in nature. As much as I wish it wasn't true, the image we put forth when dealing with political issues is nearly as important as our message, especially in the Northwest. I did not create Northwest Firearms to serve as a bunker for like-minded folks to hunker down and be overrun, but to serve as a rally point for us to organize. I believe through education we can get people off the fence and into our camp, but that won't happen if we give them a reason to not give us a chance. We need to grow our ranks.

Sexual orientation and every other non-pertinent fact aside, please feel free to discuss the future of Oregon gun rights with this new anti-gun Governor in this thread.

Comments on this post and our non-firearm political rule can be directed here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/non-firearm-political-talk-prohibited-discuss-here.190465/

This is a good thread. The biggest threat is she will be backed by and most likely carry the mentality of ceasefire Oregon (they have given her a 100% backing), and that is a serious threat to all in this state. It will be a totally biased anti gun legislature and now backed by a "venomous anti gun" governor.
People need to realize just how serious all this is and the extreme damage that is about to befall us all.
Whether people realize it or not we are in a war and now we have met the real enemy. It resides in Salem and is all a result of the last election and apathy and lack of comprehension of consequence of the voters.
Anti Gun wise, we are about to be as bad as California. That makes me very nauseated.
It is events similar to what has happened here that puts lamps in the steeple. An analogy that is not far from where we are eventually headed, unless some serious events happen to stop it all.

Joe, with all the underhandedness, outright lies, deception, and manipulation, it's little wonder those threads derailed with all the ABJECT ANGER over how "the law" has become lawless... and to top it all off, we get to have the taxes STOLEN from our paychecks used against us. :mad:

Ironic. A war on gun rights is a war on the self defense ability of women and LGBTQIA2 community.

Any chance of appealing to her reason?

Not likely. It's been sanitized, but you used to be able to find video of her melting down and rambling incoherently over Bush. She stands far to the left of Kitzhaber. Kitz would have signed any gun control legislation, and you can take it to the bank that Brown will as well.

Our only defense is by initiative and legal challenge.

It is an unsettling feeling to pay taxes to the governing body and then not be represented but to be persecuted and your rights taken away like we are criminals.
Elected officials should represent ALL taxpayers!!!

Last Edited:
Not likely. It's been sanitized, but you used to be able to find video of her melting down and rambling incoherently over Bush. She stands far to the left of Kitzhaber. Kitz would have signed any gun control legislation, and you can take it to the bank that Brown will as well.

Our only defense is by initiative and legal challenge.

Yes, but we must never allow them to take our ultimate means defense of liberty.......NEVER !
Even to the point of a Patrick Henry Moment.
There is no life without Liberty and they knew that very well and lived what they believed.
What the Left has forgot is those people are the reason they (politicians) have the right to be where they are.
If they force us back to that age and fight they will lose that right and a lot more.
Why can they not comprehend that simple truth ?

Again guys, most of this doesn't pertain to how we're going to defend against infringements upon our rights...

There is no left and right, only principles and beliefs....

Kitzhaber didn't seem like he was super eager to launch an attack on Oregonian's RKBA, right to carry, etc. Kate Brown, I am sad to say, will likely make that one of her key stone issues during the next 1.75 years - or however long she lasts.

I can see this woman calling for 594 like laws, mag caps, even possibly a semi-auto ban. We - rational thinking gun owners - lost terribly in the last election cycle. We have no switch-hitting politicians to block this type of stuff now - Betsy Johnson cannot save us from the gun grabbers.

Democrats - liberals - whatever you call them - they want to present themselves as the part of the people, the populists, these people should be even more vehemently in favor of the individual right to bear arms and own whatever type of arms necessary to ensure their safety, as well as the safety and security of the state and country. They poise themselves as being for the "little guy" and not the big evil faceless corporate entities (of course, Comcast, Intel, Costco Microsoft, Apple, etc are "good" faceless corporate giants, right?)

The Democrat party heralds itself for championing the disenfranchised, the minority populations, the vulnerable. But their platform is one of disarmament and victimization by policy and procedure.

I hope that when the dust settles over the Kitzhaber debacle, the democrats realize they might just have a tenuous hold on their power and that any drastic laws could stand to see some of them recalled and others fail to be re-elected. Actions have consequences, votes have consequences. With the blazing speed that the Kitzhaber scandal finally caught on and brought him down, it should give all other politicians pause to reflect upon their own deeds and misdeeds, and how they act. I doubt it'll happen though. Kate Brown is not without mud on her hands - $10,000 campaign contribution in exchange for an endorsement letter to the FCC on behalf of Comcast Cable seems like official misconduct or at least an ethical violation in itself, and frankly I would like, but don't hold out hope, to see her recuse herself from her constitutionally appointed role and pass the reigns on to someone else, although that someone else wouldn't be any better since the next folks in line are Peter Courtney - a rabic anti-gunner, and Tina Kotek, another likewise looney toon who wants to take away your and my rights.

In 2016 I hope Oregon wakes up and Oregon gun owners VOTE. We need them.

Democrats - liberals - whatever you call them - they want to present themselves as the part of the people, the populists, these people should be even more vehemently in favor of the individual right to bear arms and own whatever type of arms necessary to ensure their safety, as well as the safety and security of the state and country. They poise themselves as being for the "little guy" and not the big evil faceless corporate entities (of course, Comcast, Intel, Costco Microsoft, Apple, etc are "good" faceless corporate giants, right?)

The Democrat party heralds itself for championing the disenfranchised, the minority populations, the vulnerable. But their platform is one of disarmament and victimization by policy and procedure.

That is an irony that has totally fooled me. Given the popularity of firearm related sports throughout the country, and in particular the PNW, I would have guessed gun rights would be one topic that would cross party lines perhaps like no other. I honestly felt that, with the high number of gun owners, I-594 like initiatives did not stand a chance.

I suspect that was true 30+ years ago, but has quickly changed with the major city demographics. The connection with great outdoors many of us older folks grew up with has changed dramatically...very dramatically. A young boy is now more fascinated with a 20G, hyper-meg, Droid to which he can be myopically entertained 24/7 than the day he earns the privilege of getting his own .22LR for "plinking" days with his Dad, older brother and uncles.

Oh well, on the positive side, I can honestly say I'm very happy... no, simply giddy, that I experienced a much different childhood.

That's why we should fight that much harder. To make sure our kids, grandkids and great grandkids can still have some of the freedom we had. That is the best reason to continue fighting hard to preserve our 2nd and actually the entire Constitution !

Ditto on the childhood!

The thing is, our fellow citizens are focused too narrowly on other issues, like passing laws to force everyone to accept who/what you sleep with, how many babies you suck into a sink, how many trees get hugged, size of cars, vegetation you can/can't smoke, what you can/can't say or think, how much money other people make, the color of your skin, what genitalia you have, etc.

So they vote brand "D" or brand "R" based solely on that one issue, the world be damned. :rolleyes:

And don't kid yourself. There is a deluge within our country that are fighting to take and destroy all we have and stand for. They are At ALL levels !

As a Washington State resident I don't have a dog in this particular fight but I do in the overall fight that we're waging daily.

It would appear, to an outsider, that Kitz wasn't an "active" gun control politician. That is to say that he didn't crusade for gun control but would gladly sign any law that somebody else was willing to put on his desk.

If, with Brown's accession to power, the current gun control posture changes in Salem with this new regime and crusading begins, there will be a flood of out of state money dumped into Oregon to further a nationwide anti-gun-ownership agenda. I don't see this as much as an anti-gun agenda but more of an anti-private-citizen-gun-ownership agenda. With a majority of like-minded folks in the legislature there is very little the average citizen can do (at this point) to stop the crusade.

Now is the time to start conversations with anybody you can find about how elections have consequences and something as simple as a Governor resigning can dramatically shift priorities and the balance of power (and our rights) in a very wrong and scary direction. You can't be disillusioned and not vote and then be surprised what happens later.

I594 was voted in by the masses of uneducated people who don't view the 1st and 2nd (or any other) amendments in the same way. The Governor and Legislature, while allegedly elected to represent us, can and will push their own agenda based on whatever they want and the only recourses for John Q Public are legal challenges and the ballot box.

Good luck Oregon and we stand with you (or fall with you).

I'm going out on a limb here with this one. The governor resigning is just one crack in the system here in oregon. Then having the person that is going to replace him for the next 1.75 yrs is another crack in the system. And, we have people behind them, who do not do their jobs the way we think we should be represented. We have people in Washington DC who don't even VOTE when that is what they are supposed to be doing, conveying our wishes by voting what we want. But, still they DO NOT even take the time to vote. I won't mention his name, but, his initials are J. M, you take it from there.

Then you have people in the larger populated areas who think they know best for the rest of us, ''underlings''. Its a shame when people are trusted , elected to represent us, fail, and fail miserably. We as ''gun'' owners are faced with tough times ahead, major challenges to say the least. The press try to play us as animals, war mongers, etc, etc. I'm an average guy, former military, outdoors man, hunter, husband, father, grandfather, enjoying a hobby, plain and simple. And, i plan to keep on being the way i am, and have been over my 67 yrs. Our ''hobby'' , ''sport'' is constantly coming under fire, from BOTH sides. And, its up to us to rally and push back, just as the fore fathers did when this nation was in its infancy. They say history is bound to repeat itself. And, you can see it starting to happen now. And, as long as we stand up for what we believe is our right to own, and carry, use, firearms, we will always be under the microscope. Its up to us, to make others aware of how important our rights are, and to protect them. Or, they will slowly be eroded one at a time, and we will loose them. The governor resigning is a small part , now we have to start all over with a new, more liberal thinking person than possible he was. Its on our shoulders to change the climate against gun owners, pure and simple. Set an example, don't be a statistic.

Sexual orientation and every other non-pertinent fact aside, please feel free to discuss the future of Oregon gun rights with this new anti-gun Governor in this thread.

Comments on this post and our non-firearm political rule can be directed here: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/non-firearm-political-talk-prohibited-discuss-here.190465/
Because they are so proud of her being the "first openly bi-sexual Governor" it is near impossible to link an article or bio on her and her husband (as I did), without that being at the forefront.
I agree hateful derogatory language against that lifestyle, even in jest:D, is only helpful to her and her progressive stance on the 2nd Amendment.

As I said before.

The Leadership in Salem DECIEVED and lied to Oregon and can't be trusted on guns or anything else! This is way beyond guilt by association. They promoted a crook to secure power!
Those words should be in the MANY letters I am hoping we write against them and their anti-gun Bills as well as any other things they try. Cast a well deserved shadow of doubt on all of them.
Let your Reps know we don't trust the new UNELECTED GOVERNOR or the rest of them on anything!

This is our chance and the window of opportunity is closing fast!

Personally, I'd rather not see threads closed down if the OP's intent is a gun-related political discussion. You can have no impact on what others will post, so rather than lock a thread down, I'd rather see the mods take it on a post by post basis, so the discussion can continue. Locking threads down simply puts us on the hunt for another thread on the same topic. I know the mods can close down individual posts, I'd much rather see that than locking down the whole thread (except in a circumstance where the opening post implies a discussion that will necessarily be off target).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top