JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll just leave this here.

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced its decision to temporarily close recreational fishing and shellfishing statewide in the wake of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee's order directing Washingtonians to stay home and stay healthy to limit the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19.

The closures will begin at midnight Wednesday, March 25 and last until at least 5 p.m. on April 8, 2020. WDFW will re-evaluate on April 6 whether the closure may need to be extended.

"This is not a decision we take lightly, but it's the right thing to do for the health and well-being of Washington's families," said WDFW Director Kelly Susewind. "Monday's extraordinary order for the residents of our state to stay home requires all of us to work together to ensure these measures have the intended effect."

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

"We've seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside," said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. "We've had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor's direction to stay home and practice social distancing."

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state's marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

WDFW and other state agencies previously closed all of their water access sites, including boat launches, and other public lands where people may gather. Local and tribal governments are taking similar actions across Washington.

WDFW Enforcement officers remain on duty and will be enforcing these new closures.

The lowland lakes opening day for trout remains scheduled for April 25, but will be evaluated depending on whether the governor's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order might be further extended.

For the latest updates on WDFW's coronavirus response, please visit WDFW COVID-19/Coronavirus response and updates | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.

And the stupidity continues,best we can hope is we remember these wonderful decisions when elections come up next.I am sure Oregon will follow suit cause our Gov. is cut from the same cloth as Wa. and Cali.

It has been a very long time since I went fishing, but it was the height of "social distancing". As me in a place as far away from people and noise as possible. :s0112:

In all seriousness though, ugh, what a kick in the knickers. :(

Yeah come on guys don't go fishing. Go to the grocery store! You're much less likely to get COVID-19 at the grocery store than on a boat dock! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Owyhee commissioners pulled that crap last weekend because too many 'out of county' people were out recreating in their County. And the sheeple on FB are emoting along with them. Praise DotGov and their holy name.

My boat is wet slipped and I planned on quarantining myself out in the straits for a few days when halibut opened to keep my sanity. Drive to slip jump in and go with no human interaction. Shooting range shut down first then boat ramps now this. I guess the joggers and hikers are in a different class than me:(.

Well, this is unconstitutional, they cannot restrict the movements of law abiding folks even under the emergency actions! I surely hope some one gets up and files an injunction!

Edit:
Not only is it illegal, it't also an undue hardship, and preventing a person from providing for them selves/family!
There are so many things wrong here, and it needs to be stopped! This gov'ner needs to be in jail!
Time to call the local sheriff and have them act!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top