JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will have to retrain myself. Because Tim Rajeff gave me my very first instruction he didn't meantion that. He told me to treat the rod like a paint brush and flick the line like you were flicking paint off of a brush.
There is no right or wrong despite what people might say, every one comes up with their own technique that works for them, some better then others! The important part is to keep practicing and learning and once you get comfortable casting with out having to look at your line or what your hand is doing, your closer to success! Had a old timer tell me that a Fly Fishermen just learning should make 10,000 casts before he had any reasonable expectations of catching his first fish! For some, that might not be an exaggeration, while others find success much sooner!

What do you mean?
For me; my pole does not swing in much of an arc while playing my line out or casting It moves primarily forward and back at the elbow and shoulder (pull push) somewhat like a parade majorettes baton.
Casting by bending the wrist will produce an arc and can cause the line to whip and even snap like a bull whip and rip the fly off. Also, the tight fast loops can actually tie knots in the line.
Though I have been fly fishing for fifty years, I'm no "expert" in the craft itself, because I have been doing it the same way my grandpa taught me from the beginning which may or may not have been "professional" but works. However I have read some on the subject from century old books and it would seem much I do compares to others from that era.
I believe much of learning line manipulation, or the art of placing your fly where you want it, is visual.
I'm willing to bet there are some good online visuals you could find to guide you, or if you have the time, find an Orvis location near you they have free fly fishing classes. They have been teaching fly fishing for over a century. There may be other retailers with free classes.
Lots of people want you to buy their stuff, so are willing to help you get hooked.
Seriously though, It is easier for someone knowledgeable to watch you and see what is going wrong with your movements. than it is to diagnose yourself.

For me; my pole does not swing in much of an arc while playing my line out or casting It moves primarily forward and back at the elbow and shoulder (pull push) somewhat like a parade majorettes baton.
Casting by bending the wrist will produce an arc and can cause the line to whip and even snap like a bull whip and rip the fly off. Also, the tight fast loops can actually tie knots in the line.
Though I have been fly fishing for fifty years, I'm no "expert" in the craft itself, because I have been doing it the same way my grandpa taught me from the beginning which may or may not have been "professional" but works. However I have read some on the subject from century old books and it would seem much I do compares to others from that era.
I believe much of learning line manipulation, or the art of placing your fly where you want it, is visual.
I'm willing to bet there are some good online visuals you could find to guide you, or if you have the time, find an Orvis location near you they have free fly fishing classes. They have been teaching fly fishing for over a century. There may be other retailers with free classes.
Lots of people want you to buy their stuff, so are willing to help you get hooked.
Seriously though, It is easier for someone knowledgeable to watch you and see what is going wrong with your movements. than it is to diagnose yourself.
Here's me and my dad about 65 years ago on the Yuba River near Downieville, CA. He started my fly fishing instruction early. Yes, work the elbow not the wrist. He used to work upstream coming along behind me, catching all the fish I missed. You learn to read the water and know where a fish will be. Then you have to be able to drop that fly in so that the fly touches down first, and then the line gently floats down to the surface of the water. I've seen "experts" on the Deschutes in $5K worth of gear beating the water to a froth. They don't catch many fish but they look impressive in the motel parking lot.
JohnDadFish - 1.jpg

Here's me and my dad about 65 years ago on the Yuba River near Downieville, CA. He started my fly fishing instruction early. Yes, work the elbow not the wrist. He used to work upstream coming along behind me, catching all the fish I missed. You learn to read the water and know where a fish will be. Then you have to be able to drop that fly in so that the fly touches down first, and then the line gently floats down to the surface of the water. I've seen "experts" on the Deschutes in $5K worth of gear beating the water to a froth. They don't catch many fish but they look impressive in the motel parking lot.
View attachment 549930
Sometimes waders will kick up green rock worm, particularly in rivers with soft bottoms and weed beds, which is one of trouts favorite foods. I like to do this on the crooked to bait fisherman or those who only wear Simms and Patagonia, of course I will always teach somebody who politely asks.

Sometimes waders will kick up green rock worm, particularly in rivers with soft bottoms and weed beds, which is one of trouts favorite foods. I like to do this on the crooked to bait fisherman or those who only wear Simms and Patagonia, of course I will always teach somebody who politely asks.
Rock worm would be helgramites?

Rock worm would be helgramites?
Up here I think they're known as "Mothers day caddis" which you can guess when they mature. Mckenzie river caddis are also a subspecies. Ryacophila is the genus.
Helgramites are like alder flies and stuff. Usually you'll find those around decaying vegetation in slow moving or stillwater.
Probably the best still water patterns are based on hellgramites... except maybe the Carey Special (damsel fly larvae).

I enjoy fly fishing.
Adds a bit more difficulty to the endeavor and sometimes you can totally smash the gear guys in the catch department.

I actually even have a few Federation of fly fisher certifications now and have done decent in fly casting competitions.

A nice Oregon Steelhead.
61A86406-FC18-43CA-8877-60FDBDD3A2EB.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top