JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Had a sea lion do that down at Newport. Also had a sea bass steal a rod and real right out of the boat, left the jig dangling in the water while I put a fish in the box:rolleyes:.

Had a sea lion do that down at Newport. Also had a sea bass steal a rod and real right out of the boat, left the jig dangling in the water while I put a fish in the box:rolleyes:.

I've had both of those!

In Chetco Bay and Rogue River Bay, there were times when we couldn't get a salmon to the boat because the seals or sea lions would take the back half off or even just rip out the belly to get the eggs. Grrrrrrr... :mad::mad:

I've heard, that at times, 50% of the salmon hooked up in Oregon City on The Willamette are taken by fur bags. That was probably in the past. There's a strict method to getting a salmon in the boat when fishing up there. Sorta takes the fun out of it in my mind. Just the amount of boats crammed up there, with guides being a good portion of that. I'm not into zoo fishing anymore. Courtesy has mostly gone out the window in those kind of fisheries.

Had a guide fishing next boat over loose three fingers to a sea line who came up and snatched the fish in the net the guide was attempting to hoist aboard after netting the salmon! Nasty buggers, all need shot and left to float!

Had a guide fishing next boat over loose three fingers to a sea line who came up and snatched the fish in the net the guide was attempting to hoist aboard after netting the salmon! Nasty buggers, all need shot and left to float!

I'd think they, seals not guides, might get the idea if there were snipers placed near the opening to the fish ladders, and elsewhere if safe, and splatter their brains across and on the the other fur bags! As it is now they only trap at night and do the dirty to them away from the others.

Honestly wish they would shoot every seal and sea lion in the Columbia, those things are seriously damaging the runs

Nasty buggers, all need shot and left to float!

Sea mammals gotta make a living too!!

I used to body surf with harbor seals... they're cute! Caught more than a few sea lions while fishing for sea and kelp bass, those things are massive... gotta cut the line and take the line loss. I often wondered if sore-mouthing them caused them to learn anything.

Honestly wish they would shoot every seal and sea lion in the Columbia, those things are seriously damaging the runs

Killing animals to save other animals.

Nothing more than a distraction from the salmon's real problems. A long chain of human actions—overfishing, destruction of salmon habitats, dams blocking their migration, hatchery issues—have led to what everyone can admit is this nonoptimal situation.

Nothing more than a distraction from the salmon's real problems. A long chain of human actions—overfishing, destruction of salmon habitats, dams blocking their migration, hatchery issues—have led to what everyone can admit is this nonoptimal situation.

Seals and sea lions aren't endangered. They're like seagulls at this point. The arguments you list are valid points, but would take a long time to implement. We can do something about seals and sea lions right now.

Seals and sea lions aren't endangered. They're like seagulls at this point. The arguments you list are valid points, but would take a long time to implement. We can do something about seals and sea lions right now.

Such is the challenge for humans trying to manage vast, interconnected ecosystems. Put a thumb on one part of the scale, and something somewhere else goes out of whack. Try to correct that, and you create another problem. Eventually, you end up with a policy of fisheries managers killing sea lions.

Eventually, you end up with a policy of fisheries managers killing sea lions.

I believe that's the point. As the member above said. We can do THAT NOW. And I fail to see how killing several thousand pinapeds at salmon choke points is going to upset any balance. But, it will get thousands more salmon headed in the right direction(s)...Hatchery fish to paying anglers hook, and unclipped past one of the many step to their spawning grounds.

Next up? Start working on the crazy, out of whack cormorants, et al nesting on man made islands in the Columbia. Just a "trimming" mind you.

Such is the challenge for humans trying to manage vast, interconnected ecosystems. Put a thumb on one part of the scale, and something somewhere else goes out of whack. Try to correct that, and you create another problem.

Well, the dams aren't coming out anytime soon. So that part of any equation is a non-starter. Stopping the overfishing is something we could do. We still need to improve riparian areas after many years of officials telling the logging industry to rip out all the streamside vegetation and clean out the rivers. Maybe we need seal nets to keep those buggers away from the fish ladders, just like the harbors that had submarine nets to protect the fleet.

Secondly, when we talk about vast interconnected systems, I'm reminded of the way that humans think that we can have a positive effect, or any effect at all, on climate change. Of any vast interconnected system, the climate has to be the most complex there is. If we could even affect even .05% it would probably be a bad guess and turn out to be the wrong direction. Like using genetic engineering to create the Judas breed in the movie Mimic. The bug was made to wipe out roaches carrying Stricklers disease in New York City. Of course, the bug mutated, grew six feet tall, and had a taste for humans. Yup, not only in movies, actual/real scientific mistakes abound!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top