JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those are some good rivers. If you're going to start fly fishing streams for trout, the best place to learn is on a creek. Small drop pool free stone creeks are the best in late summer. It also helps to see how your fly will behave in the water as well as where fish hold and how currents move.
The Deschutes during peak salmonfly hatch will make you feel like a pro. I usually throw golden stones under brush if the river has been crowded for a couple weeks. You can fish golden stones from late March to September on one stream or another, and by then you can fish October caddis through November.
If you're fishing now go get a few maroon colored wet flies, a few blue copper johns, some pheasant tail and prince nymphs, then maybe some mahongony dun emergers and dries (all size 12 or 14 to about size 18 or 20). Blue winged olives are also prolific, get some of those in size 16-22 and any other midge pattern in those sizes....

You know what, I'll help ya catch fish if you ever want to go. I could write a book on the sport. LoL

I tried it years ago but got tired of not catching fish of any size. Some people get it & some don't.
Good luck and your newfound Hobby.;)
All the big fish you catch on the fly are east of the cascades. Best hope over here is in a lake or a searun cut. Not that people don't catch salmon and steelhead on the fly, just not as easy as with gear.

Until you find the alder tree behind you or get about 5 wind knots in your leader.

I'm a power fisherman. 65# braid, 3/0 hooks, hooksets that result in fish flying out of the water and landing somewhere behind me.

Its all part of the experience! Im a Meat Hunter, I use what ever method I need to put fish in the cooler, be it Flies, or Tackle! I feel to fixate on just one is really limiting, especially for what a licence and tags cost, so be it boat or bank, flickin stick or heavy back bouncer, im gonna fish hard and fill the cooler!:D

Its all part of the experience! Im a Meat Hunter, I use what ever method I need to put fish in the cooler, be it Flies, or Tackle! I feel to fixate on just one is really limiting, especially for what a licence and tags cost, so be it boat or bank, flickin stick or heavy back bouncer, im gonna fish hard and fill the cooler!:D

Ha! Thats a good outlook. I'm the guy who spends as much money on a boat as most would spend on a diesel pickup...and then release everything I catch. Drives my wife insane!

I just love to fish! Being out on the water is so relaxing! Watching the world go by at river pace, or the eagles chasing crows fanning my self with a Fly Rod, all about it. Couldnt afford a big sled, so found a storm wrecked Carolina boat center console MAKO 23 foot and towed it back to the wet coast and converted it! Man, that's a slick set up! All my buddies HATE inboards, but this boat changed them! :)

Pulled quite a few 'Bows outta Goldbottom, great spot if theres no one swimmin or panning there!:eek:
Back in the early 90s A coworker and I would take our kids up there camping and gold panning. Holiday weekends were insane. There were so many people in some areas, cars would be blocking half the road, and its not all that wide as it is. I remember one trip where we came around a corner and a group of people were carrying a large tent up the middle of the road. We would always camp a ways below Yellowbottom and the old miners meadow to avoid the lunacy.

Here is my Boat, fresh from the scrapper. She got swamped by Katrina and the drive train was frozen and rusted to heck and gone! All the seats and top were rotted and the electronics were all shot! I got it for the value of the trailer basically!
full?d=1513741147.jpg

I rebuilt her several years ago, and have been using her ever since! My Dad and F.I.L "Borrow" it all the time, I haven't fished out of it in almost 2 years! I took her out twice last year, mostly to have fun and to get the little ones out on the water and experience how cool boats can be!

I rebuilt her several years ago, and have been using her ever since! My Dad and F.I.L "Borrow" it all the time, I haven't fished out of it in almost 2 years! I took her out twice last year, mostly to have fun and to get the little ones out on the water and experience how cool boats can be!

Where you got her stored?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads