JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

1 gun or many guns

• Total voters
Reactions
I know that the first words out of everyones mouth will be you never can have to much, but I have a question, and by the end of this post, maybe even a poll. Is it better to own 10 handguns your ok with, because trying to train for each and commit things to muscle memory would be time consuming, or do you own one that you are an expert with, you train with, you have all your techniques perfected with? Just a question and a bit of thought. I have safe queens that are there for collection and just to have, I shoot them, maybe 3 or 5 rounds a year, but not what I actually train with or been trained with.

I'm getting decent with my glock. Which translates well to my other glocks as far as muscle memory and techniques. So I say the more the I can get my hands on the better!

The deciding factor is the scenario. If I am buying guns for personal protection, ala a police officer, then having only one that I'm proficient with is the right answer. If I'm buying them for home defense, then having 2-3 strategically located is the right answer. If I'm buying them because I get a ton of satisfaction out of searching for, buying, repairing, shooting, reloading, then I can't see there ever being an upper limit.

I am proficient with the one I carry everyday. That does not stop me from owning many more. I am proficient with two or three of the others, as I have carried them in the past and trained accordingly. The rest I can handle and shoot safely and acceptably accurately. That's all I need.

Two types of handguns, revolvers and semi autos. Revolvers all the action of the fire arm takes place as you pull the trigger. Autos all the action takes place after you pull the trigger. Everything else is all the same, sites and trigger control. It's just machinery and what you are learning is how to get the most out of a machine.

You could keep one good revolver and one good semi auto which would cover most of your bases. Just opinion of course but I don't play golf with two cubs and the Game of life is much more serious than golf.o_O

I would rather have one per family member (and a ammo cache) that we we're all good with. Then work towards being real-good.

I personally have never had a issue with picking up a "different" handgun and taking to it pretty quick though. I guess if switching from a wheel gun to a auto takes a little bit of though.

I have eighteen, only two of which are handguns. My latest acquisition is a Uberti replica 1885 High Wall in .45-70 Govt, but I guess that's not what you guys call a serious firearm, just a fun gun.

I have to admit that I'm quite good with all of them, considering that I've been shooting one of them for the last sixty-two years...

tac

I have several also, but I thought it is a great question for debate. I will be honest, I have 2 I really train with, others sit.........and sit.......but i am not selling them, I am a collector at heart, at least that is what my wife thinks. I know if the SHTF, I know which ones are going to be used, which ones are going to be on stby.

Two types of handguns, revolvers and semi autos. Revolvers all the action of the fire arm takes place as you pull the trigger. Autos all the action takes place after you pull the trigger. Everything else is all the same, sites and trigger control. It's just machinery and what you are learning is how to get the most out of a machine.

You could keep one good revolver and one good semi auto which would cover most of your bases. Just opinion of course but I don't play golf with two cubs and the Game of life is much more serious than golf.o_O
I agree to a point, I can come out of the holster and be on target with only one of my guns that I practice with, if I pull any others, I have to adjust, and adjust to the weight so I am not looping out, or I am coming out too strong with the lighter pistols, either way, those are not committed to my muscle memory and I have to adjust, sometime more severly. I don't shoot wheel guns so I don't have to worry about action during or after trigger pull, I do have to worry about acquiring sight picture correctly in a moments notice.

I agree to a point, I can come out of the holster and be on target with only one of my guns that I practice with, if I pull any others, I have to adjust, and adjust to the weight so I am not looping out, or I am coming out too strong with the lighter pistols, either way, those are not committed to my muscle memory and I have to adjust, sometime more severly. I don't shoot wheel guns so I don't have to worry about action during or after trigger pull, I do have to worry about acquiring sight picture correctly in a moments notice.

I am an old f art:D so most of us old guys started out on wheel guns. They are more difficult to master double action because of keeping the sights on target while pressing a 9 pound trigger. The entire action moves against that nine pounds so essentially you are trying to control the weight with the first knuckle of the trigger finger.

Autos you just press the trigger in a single action or knuckle the first shot on the double action autos. Keeping sights on target is much easier. Of course its all for shots at a distance that need target accuracy. Close up its a different story.

I think men should familiarize themselves with weapons other than what they carry, what if you end up useing your buddies gun in a fight? Just opinion and it's worth what you are paying for it:D

A revolver and a semi handgun along with a good bolt gun plus a semi rifle and a pump shotgun should fill up the golf bag. Should cover most of the shooting you would do in your life. Again just opinion, not trying to sway people to my way of thinking.o_O

I can defend myself or my family with anyone of them I have. I can do other things too like waste ammo making holes in paper, hunt any number of critters and even sit and fondle some.

Doesn't matter want to know why I also have over 40 model airplane engines? just as silly of question LOL

I'm of the opinion that a person should have dedicated work horses and a stable of backups. I have 3 handguns that no matter what I will never sell or trade, I have 3 rifles that no matter what I will never trade / sell. beyond that I try to have a backup of each if for no other reason than parts cannibalization.

The rest are all part of the collection bug and/or certain white buffalos I am seeking at the time.

To address the original post and poll... if owning just one handgun means to be proficient, than that's my vote.
Of course, who doesn't want a stable full of fine, interesting, dependable, accurate handguns? I strive to be proficient with one of those.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top