JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That has to be a joke, unless Dep. Scot Peterson was in charge.
Sounds like the local police got shot up and needed the Feds to bring in a tactical unit.

"The shooting began to unfold on Tuesday morning, when the local police department in Uvalde received a 911 call around 11:30 a.m. saying that a truck had crashed at Robb Elementary School and that a man had emerged from it carrying a long rifle and a backpack.

At least one armed law enforcement officer from the Uvalde school district was at the school. That officer exchanged gunfire with the gunman, but the gunman was able to get past the officer, the official said, citing the initial reports.

The gunman then entered through a south door at the school. After he was inside, two officers from the Uvalde Police Department arrived on the scene, engaged the gunman and were immediately met with gunfire, the official said. Both were shot.

It appeared that the gunman was contained in one classroom at that time, and the officers were unable to enter it. He remained there until a tactical unit from the border patrol killed the gunman, shortly after 1 p.m., the official said, citing state police reports."

"The shooting began to unfold on Tuesday morning, when the local police department in Uvalde received a 911 call around 11:30 a.m. saying that a truck had crashed at Robb Elementary School and that a man had emerged from it carrying a long rifle and a backpack.

At least one armed law enforcement officer from the Uvalde school district was at the school. That officer exchanged gunfire with the gunman, but the gunman was able to get past the officer, the official said, citing the initial reports.

The gunman then entered through a south door at the school. After he was inside, two officers from the Uvalde Police Department arrived on the scene, engaged the gunman and were immediately met with gunfire, the official said. Both were shot.

It appeared that the gunman was contained in one classroom at that time, and the officers were unable to enter it. He remained there until a tactical unit from the border patrol killed the gunman, shortly after 1 p.m., the official said, citing state police reports."
That is awful. I am really curious what type of previous experience the shooter had with firearms?

But nobody knew he had mental problems...

"The Washington Post, which reported that the mass murderer was bullied for wearing black eyeliner and having a lisp according to family and friends, reported that those closest to the suspect said that he had "lashed out violently against peers and strangers recently and over the years."

The suspect, a Latino male, reportedly cut up his own face with a knife because he claimed that it was "fun," according to one of the suspect's former friends.

The friend indicated that the suspect drove around with another friend at night on multiple occasions and shot at random people with a BB gun.

One of his female classmates said that he posted a video to Instagram a couple of months ago "where the cops were there and he'd call his mom a b**** and say she wanted to kick him out. He'd be screaming and talking to his mom really aggressively."

"As he grew older, problems at home became more acute and more apparent to neighbors," The report said. "A neighbor described seeing police at the house and witnessing blowups between [the suspect] and his mother."

But nobody knew he had mental problems...

"The Washington Post, which reported that the mass murderer was bullied for wearing black eyeliner and having a lisp according to family and friends, reported that those closest to the suspect said that he had "lashed out violently against peers and strangers recently and over the years."

The suspect, a Latino male, reportedly cut up his own face with a knife because he claimed that it was "fun," according to one of the suspect's former friends.

The friend indicated that the suspect drove around with another friend at night on multiple occasions and shot at random people with a BB gun.

One of his female classmates said that he posted a video to Instagram a couple of months ago "where the cops were there and he'd call his mom a b**** and say she wanted to kick him out. He'd be screaming and talking to his mom really aggressively."

"As he grew older, problems at home became more acute and more apparent to neighbors," The report said. "A neighbor described seeing police at the house and witnessing blowups between [the suspect] and his mother."

Goes back to that age old question: if someone knew he had mental problems, how could they prevent him from buying a rifle and ammunition? Red flag law?

I want to start by saying that the vast majority of posts on this thread have made me feel one of three emotions:
  1. Horror & Disgust - Those who stated (or implied) that this atrocity was a hoax, a setup, or the result of some liberal conspiracy. This is a deeply disgusting and delusional denial of reality, and I won't waste a moment engaging with these folks (and neither should you).
    @Moderators Posts of this type are an obvious violation of Community Rule #3, and you are thus obligated to remove them immediately. Refusal to do so would put this forum in violation of its own Terms, and complicit in the dissemination & propagation of dangerous disinformation. Failure to take appropriate action would also put this forum in violation of the the terms of its platform provider.
  2. Frustration - Those who immediately immediately jumped on the political defensive. Unlike the previous category, I can certainly relate to this response: After all, liberals and conservatives alike have learned this response both from political leadership, and from certain politically active, corporate-funded advocacy groups.
    However, I feel this is a knee-jerk reaction we should do our best to avoid. This "dig-your-heels-in" response (which is present on both sides of the isle) precludes meaningful discussion, and is also deeply disrespectful to those impacted by this tragedy.
  3. Depression & Apathy - Those who accept the magnitude of these atrocities, but consider them to be unfortunate inevitabilities. Similar to the last category, I can identify with this reaction; However, it is a trained response that is demonstrably untrue.
Now I'll take a moment to describe my reaction to this atrocity:
I learned about this horrifying mass shooting in a particularly upsetting way: Yesterday, my 7-year-old, 2nd-grade daughter came home from school crying. She'd heard about the shooting from an older friend; she was terrified, upset, and she wanted answers.
Unfortunately, I'd been too wrapped up in my work to see the news, so I didn't have an age-appropriate narrative ready for her (if that's even a thing?!). Instead, I had no choice but to browse the news articles with my daughter on my lap, hugging me and sobbing. While I did my best to sanitize the story, I also felt a unique obligation to be honest: Unlike other atrocities, the victims of this atrocity were in her exact demographic, and were murdered in the exact setting in which she finds herself every day. Furthermore, I figured it was better that she learn these horrifying details from me, rather than from a friend at school who has access to a smartphone.
As our night progressed, my daughter would request updates whenever she caught me glancing at my phone. Interestingly enough, I found that the most effective form of reassurance I could provide was to translate each horrifying detail into something actionable; a means by which, in a similar situation, she could avoid the fate of the victims, and she would often prompt this advice by asking questions.
Here are some examples:
  1. Run - If a bad guy points a gun at you: RUN. Do not cry, do not beg, just run. I explained that, as an experienced shooter, I can say with confidence that it's much more difficult to hit a moving target than a stationary target.
  2. Hide - You can't shoot what you can't see; if possible, hide yourself.
  3. Don't be a hero - One of the most heartbreaking details I learned was regarding Amerie Jo Garza, who was brutally executed while attempting to call the police (the shooter targeted her for this reason).
    While Amerie's actions were nothing short of heroic, my advice to my daughter was that, in a similar situation, she should prioritize her own safety over all else, because she is simply not equipped to do otherwise.
In addition to this sort of advice, I provided her with comfort by distancing her from this atrocity. I explained that this happened "Really far away...", which I demonstrated by checking the drive time from Portland to Uvalde, Texas (31 hours without traffic, if you're curious).
I also explained that, given the sheer magnitude of our national population, horrifying incidents like this remain statistically improbable, an argument which I attempted to support by looking up statistics on the leading causes of child death in our country. However, upon doing so, I was shocked to find that "Firearm-related injury" is #2 on that list, and so I quickly abandoned this argument.

In the end, I'm glad to say that I was able to sufficiently comfort my daughter: She slept through the night, woke up happy in the morning, and went to school without fear.
However, I was left with the grim realization that "Fear" was only half of the emotional cocktail my daughter was experiencing last night. The other half was "Horror".
Horror at the realization that "This is the type of world I live in...", and "This is something I need to be prepared for...". Horror that manifested itself in the "Why?!" questions ("WHY would someone do this?!", "WHY isn't anyone doing anything to stop this?!", etc.), and Horror that was amplified by my inability to answer these questions.
Now it goes without saying that I, like all of you, am familiar with this "Horror" to the point of tedium: At this point, it's like the deafening roar of some horrible white-noise machine that we all barely even notice.
However, as is often the case, re-experiencing the inception of this Horror through the tear-filled eyes of my daughter has re-awakened me to its nature. I DESPISE the fact that I was forced to have this conversation with my daughter; I DESPISE the fact that I will be forced to have this conversation again and again; and I DESPISE the fact that the answers to those "Why?!" questions often boil down to "Because this is the reality we have built for you."

Things brings me to my final point, which is also a summary of sorts:
It is my opinion that our broken political system has enabled both politicians, and specific political advocacy groups, to effectively suppress conversation around gun control among the EXACT group of people who should be leading this conversation! They have meticulously constructed a climate in which it is taboo for us to even MENTION the possibility of firearm restrictions, and where the only acceptable reaction to atrocities like this one is to preemptively deny the viability of any such restrictions.
I feel that, as responsible gun owners, we are the very exact people that should be leading these conversations. After all: We are the ones that purchase firearms, we are the ones that own firearms, and we are the ones that know how firearms should be used.

In that vein, I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to start a conversation, while fully realizing that what I'm about to say may constitute heresy in many of your minds, and may very well get me banned from this forum. However, I'm hoping beyond hope that there will be at least one or two folks who have the courage to echo my feelings, or to contribute their own ideas. I'm very interested to hear similar proposals from this highly knowledgable community of responsible gun owners; like I said, I feel that this is exactly where such conversations should start.

So here it is:
It is my feeling that semi-automatic, combat-style rifles with the ability to accommodate large ammunition capacities should not be readily available to the public. At the very least, these types of weapons should require additional licensing and training, analogous to the additional licensing required for operating semi-trucks. It is patently obvious that such restrictions would, at the very least, reduce the occurrence and magnitude of atrocities like these.

I will be taking a screenshot of this post immediately after I post it (just in case it is censored).

I want to start by saying that the vast majority of posts on this thread have made me feel one of three emotions:
  1. Horror & Disgust - Those who stated (or implied) that this atrocity was a hoax, a setup, or the result of some liberal conspiracy. This is a deeply disgusting and delusional denial of reality, and I won't waste a moment engaging with these folks (and neither should you).
    @Moderators Posts of this type are an obvious violation of Community Rule #3, and you are thus obligated to remove them immediately. Refusal to do so would put this forum in violation of its own Terms, and complicit in the dissemination & propagation of dangerous disinformation. Failure to take appropriate action would also put this forum in violation of the the terms of its platform provider.
  2. Frustration - Those who immediately immediately jumped on the political defensive. Unlike the previous category, I can certainly relate to this response: After all, liberals and conservatives alike have learned this response both from political leadership, and from certain politically active, corporate-funded advocacy groups.
    However, I feel this is a knee-jerk reaction we should do our best to avoid. This "dig-your-heels-in" response (which is present on both sides of the isle) precludes meaningful discussion, and is also deeply disrespectful to those impacted by this tragedy.
  3. Depression & Apathy - Those who accept the magnitude of these atrocities, but consider them to be unfortunate inevitabilities. Similar to the last category, I can identify with this reaction; However, it is a trained response that is demonstrably untrue.
I learned about this horrifying mass shooting in a particularly upsetting way: Yesterday, my 7-year-old, 2nd-grade daughter came home from school crying. She'd heard about the shooting from an older friend; she was terrified, upset, and she wanted answers.
Unfortunately, I'd been too wrapped up in my work to see the news, so I didn't have an age-appropriate narrative ready for her (if that's even a thing?!). Instead, I had no choice but to browse the news articles with my daughter on my lap, hugging me and sobbing. While I did my best to sanitize the story, I also felt a unique obligation to be honest: Unlike other atrocities, the victims of this atrocity were in her exact demographic, and were murdered in the exact setting in which she finds herself every day. Furthermore, I figured it was better that she learn these horrifying details from me, rather than from a friend at school who has access to a smartphone.
As our night progressed, my daughter would request updates whenever she caught me glancing at my phone. Interestingly enough, I found that the most effective form of reassurance I could provide was to translate each horrifying detail into something actionable; a means by which, in a similar situation, she could avoid the fate of the victims, and she would often prompt this advice by asking questions.
Here are some examples:
  1. Run - If a bad guy points a gun at you: RUN. Do not cry, do not beg, just run. I explained that, as an experienced shooter, I can say with confidence that it's much more difficult to hit a moving target than a stationary target.
  3. Don't be a hero - One of the most heartbreaking details I learned was regarding Amerie Jo Garza, who was brutally executed while attempting to call the police (the shooter targeted her for this reason).
    While Amerie's actions were nothing short of heroic, my advice to my daughter was that, in a similar situation, she should prioritize her own safety over all else, because she is simply not equipped to do otherwise.
In addition to this sort of advice, I provided her with comfort by distancing her from this atrocity. I explained that this happened "Really far away...", which I demonstrated by checking the drive time from Portland to Uvalde, Texas (31 hours without traffic, if you're curious).
I also explained that, given the sheer magnitude of our national population, horrifying incidents like this remain statistically improbable, an argument which I attempted to support by looking up statistics on the leading causes of child death in our country. However, upon doing so, I was shocked to find that "Firearm-related injury" is #2 on that list, and so I quickly abandoned this argument.

In the end, I'm glad to say that I was able to sufficiently comfort my daughter: She slept through the night, woke up happy in the morning, and went to school without fear.
However, I was left with the grim realization that "Fear" was only half of the emotional cocktail my daughter was experiencing last night. The other half was "Horror".
Horror at the realization that "This is the type of world I live in...", and "This is something I need to be prepared for...". Horror that manifested itself in the "Why?!" questions ("WHY would someone do this?!", "WHY isn't anyone doing anything to stop this?!", etc.), and Horror that was amplified by my inability to answer these questions.
Now it goes without saying that I, like all of you, am familiar with this "Horror" to the point of tedium: At this point, it's like the deafening roar of some horrible white-noise machine that we all barely even notice.
However, as is often the case, re-experiencing the inception of this Horror through the tear-filled eyes of my daughter has re-awakened me to its nature. I DESPISE the fact that I was forced to have this conversation with my daughter; I DESPISE the fact that I will be forced to have this conversation again and again; and I DESPISE the fact that the answers to those "Why?!" questions often boil down to "Because this is the reality we have built for you."

It is my opinion that our broken political system has enabled both politicians, and specific political advocacy groups, to effectively suppress conversation around gun control among the EXACT group of people who should be leading this conversation! They have meticulously constructed a climate in which it is taboo for us to even MENTION the possibility of firearm restrictions, and where the only acceptable reaction to atrocities like this one is to preemptively deny the viability of any such restrictions.
I feel that, as responsible gun owners, we are the very exact people that should be leading these conversations. After all: We are the ones that purchase firearms, we are the ones that own firearms, and we are the ones that know how firearms should be used.

In that vein, I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to start a conversation, while fully realizing that what I'm about to say may constitute heresy in many of your minds, and may very well get me banned from this forum. However, I'm hoping beyond hope that there will be at least one or two folks who have the courage to echo my feelings, or to contribute their own ideas. I'm very interested to hear similar proposals from this highly knowledgable community of responsible gun owners; like I said, I feel that this is exactly where such conversations should start.

So here it is:
It is my feeling that semi-automatic, combat-style rifles with the ability to accommodate large ammunition capacities should not be readily available to the public. At the very least, these types of weapons should require additional licensing and training, analogous to the additional licensing required for operating semi-trucks. It is patently obvious that such restrictions would, at the very least, reduce the occurrence and magnitude of atrocities like these.

I will be taking a screenshot of this post immediately after I post it (just in case it is censored).
I fit in your cat 3 and I agree that it is untrue that nothing could be done to reduce these types of events. My belief is that there is very little that could be done that wouldn't impact our liberty.

Edit: Obviously I completely disagree with the last part about restricting firearms, which is absurd, in my view. And borders on full auto blasphemy insanity.

Last Edited:
I fit in your cat 3 and I agree that it is untrue that nothing could be done to reduce these types of events. My belief is that there is very little that could be done that wouldn't impact our liberty.

Edit: Obviously I completely disagree with the last part about restricting firearms, which is absurd, in my view. And borders on full auto blasphemy.
I think you can disagree with your fellow forum member without accusing them of being blasphemous.

Here are some examples:

So here it is:

I'll simply address this directly. You have always lived in this world. It's a pretty ugly place. Whether you were insulated from these realities as you grew up is something I can't know. I personally had enough exposure to the nastiness of humanity when I was a child that this isn't shocking to me. At all. The " somebody should write a law " response you are voicing only seems logical on the surface. In actuality, it's a shallow, emotionally motivated answer. The current new restrictions in Washington state on the specific types of firearms you mentioned won't change violent crime one tiny bit. This coming summer ( just around the corner) will see violent incidents up and down the I-5 corridor will soul-numbing regularity. I don't mean to insult you or your admirable efforts to be a great parent. In fact, I salute you for being an involved Dad. This country needs that way more than we need more laws.

At the very least, these types of weapons should require additional licensing and training, analogous to the additional licensing required for operating semi-trucks. It is patently obvious that such restrictions would, at the very least, reduce the occurrence and magnitude of atrocities like these.
Yea but unfortunately the 'additional licensing and training' for operating semi trucks only applies to those who are driving commercially - but Ma and Pa Kettle can go buy a 45' Class A Motorhome and drive it off the lot on their class 1 license.

'Additional licensing and training' (or ANY additional requirements) is a slippery slope that can be applied to a lot of things - with similar results and outcomes.

So here it is:

How do you justify this belief? Curious, as the type and capacity, or even caliber make ZERO difference in any of these situations, a Firearm is a Firearm, and nothing about it matters, ALL firearms are meant to Kill! The Old Saw of "Nobody Needs Weapons of War" actually goes against the very founding of this nation and it's core tenants of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness! The Type of Weapon have zero difference, it's the intent in ones heart that matters!
If you double down and spout off about "Extra Deadly" or any of that rubbish, you prove yourself a true idiot! Nowhere in the Bill of Rights does it place any restrictions on type, capacity, or anything else! Did you know, we can still to this day, purchase and own a modern Man-0-War, or modern Canon, or Tanks? YUP, Unrestricted! Did you know we can also obtain Letters of Marque from our Gov?

By your way of thinking, we should restrict the use of Social Media, no one under 21 should be able to share/post on FaceBook, Twitter, or Tik-Tok until after they come of age! Maybe folks should be censored on those platforms,, hate posts and such blocked and or members banned!

Seeings as how your all in on restriction God Given Rights, That right there would actually accomplish the goals of reducing violence and mass shooting events!

Ya see the path were taking here, if your so willing to surrender your rights, and take mine, we got a major problem Jack, one I cannot abide!

3a86ed899824890579b9f63099f22bdd.jpg

Interestingly enough, I found that the most effective form of reassurance I could provide was to translate each horrifying detail into something actionable; a means by which, in a similar situation, she could avoid the fate of the victims, and she would often prompt this advice by asking questions.
Here are some examples:

Taters, thank you for your very well written and thought out post. Your advice to your daughter would be excellent in a non-school setting, but it is at odds with protocol at Beaverton and other school districts (my wife teaches there)

During active shooter drills students are locked in their classrooms with door barricaded as much as possible, lights are out, windows covered, phones turned off, and everyone must be as quiet as possible no matter what is going on in the halls.

All of the above has to happen immediately once the code of an active shooter, intruder, etc. comes over the intercom and teachers take action.

As one can imagine listening to police and dogs clearing halls during drills is highly stressful for everyone, especially young kids the drills are real as possible and nothing is held back so lots of commands, yelling, radio traffic, etc.

Just wanted to comment on what goes on in schools these days. Lastly, I commend the way you helped your daughter.

As gun owners we will all react and deal with this tragedy in our own way. But know this fact to be true. The liberal democratic side never misses an opportunity to push their agenda. Beto O'Rourke SHOWED this stance today trying to win over more voters and nothing else with his grand standing. This type of person has no dignity and only breaths for one goal, the self.

He and others like him will spin their views while trying to gain voter favor for several days. Their intent has nothing to do with change, awareness or solutions. It is always for the self and which is the root of political corruption that I find amazing that all do not see. All politicians are corrupt on both sides of the isle. The same is true for athletes and actors anymore who area always speaking empty pre-written dialogs to gain favor and popularity of their fans. LeBron James is a great example of this. When has he and his Chinese cohorts contributed anything to solve situations? Just running their mouths to stay in the limelight.

Banning guns, writing new laws and eroding our rights will NEVER STOP these events from taking place. Those in power know this so they bounce their meaningless dribble around the truth for the appearance of change. Creating the illusion of change that allows them to lie to their constituents in the fall. The only purpose of the acts they portray in the next weeks will be to gain favor and money for their re-election campaigns.

The problem of a solution to these happenings is quite clear to me. Picture the problem as a tree, any tree that is your vision. Know look below the ground at the root system it takes to maintain the life and growth of this tree. Hundreds or more of life sustaining arms reaching out with each being a small part that is feeding the tree. This is the same as I see the problem at hand created by the degradation of the family unit, video games, technology and on and on and on. The solution is as complex as the problems that fed into the creation of this problem.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top