JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yep, although I wouldn't reccoment it, it is possible to fire a 300 Black Out round, in an upper designed for .223.

48F3A553-26F8-4742-8CD0-B457D94626FA.jpeg

Hope you're OK. I watched this happen a few years ago, Fellow brought the wrong pre-loaded magazines with him. He only needed minor first aid, but his friends were pretty freaked out by it.
Yea, other than my ego being wounded and my wallet being pillaged, I survived intact.
I thought I had put the 300 upper on, but figured out my mistake pretty quick.
The only good news is that I salvaged the lower and I now have space in my gun safe, for a new carbine.

Yea, other than my ego being wounded and my wallet being pillaged, I survived intact.
I thought I had put the 300 upper on, but figured out my mistake pretty quick.
The only good news is that I salvaged the lower and I now have space in my gun safe, for a new carbine.
PSA had some very low-priced 300BLK uppers a few weeks ago. Haven't been there in a while.

I would define that as a risky load:) hope all fingers are accounted for.

I'm okay. I'll call this upper, my Darwin Award. hopefully this will be my worst and hopefully my last mistake on the range.

PSA had some very low-priced 300BLK uppers a few weeks ago. Haven't been there in a while.
I've got to go through all my records and equipment, but I thought this was a 300 upper I had bought from PSA. This upper had no designations on it showing what caliber it was.
it's most likely my mistake though and not theirs. I can honestly say that I will never make this same mistake again.

No injuries, so now we can joke about it. BUT: We've read several comments on this forum from guys who like to have as many different caliber uppers for one lower as they can get. It's just another way mistakes can be made, caution is advised.

No injuries, so now we can joke about it. BUT: We've read several comments on this forum from guys who like to have as many different caliber uppers for one lower as they can get. It's just another way mistakes can be made, caution is advised.
I have AR's in a few different calibers. I just don't allow them on the same bench at the same time. I always double check them - once when I uncase them and once more before we commence firing. I hope I won't regret saying this, but it's worked for me for years now.

I purchased Lancer magazines for the express purpose of only holding .300 Blackout ammo.
They are different enough to keep me from making the same mistake.

I doubt it will make you feel better, but about 10/12 years ago I ran a 308 through a CZ550 Premium chambered
in 270. At the range and I had the previous 308 box of ammo still on the bench, picked up the 270 and ammo and
went to shooting, 'cept I loaded a 308 into the 270. It survived. My ego did not. Made me a CZ believer.

I doubt it will make you feel better, but about 10/12 years ago I ran a 308 through a CZ550 Premium chambered
in 270. At the range and I had the previous 308 box of ammo still on the bench, picked up the 270 and ammo and
went to shooting, 'cept I loaded a 308 into the 270. It survived. My ego did not. Made me a CZ believer.
I've run 9mm down a 10mm. FTE, no visible damage nor change in function or accuracy. If you're going to screw up, that's the way to do it!

About 5-6 yrs ago I blew up a .223 upper with a .300 BLK. I was left with the upper in my left hand and the lower in my right hand. They were no longer connected because the pivot pin area blew apart. The new Aimpoint T1 was nowhere to be found, it left with a chunk of rail. I was using different mags (metal for 300, plastic for 223) and as a rule I did not take 223 and 300 ARs to the bench on the same range trip. But that trip I made an exception for being in a hurry…reasons, and I had one last metal mag with green tip 223 to burn up, and I thought I grabbed them, even checked and cussed the low light in the bay, because the green tips looked black.

They were. They were 110 gr black tipped 300 BLKS in that mag. It seemed to chamber just fine when I hit the bolt release. What it actually did was push the round back into the case and plug the bore. BOOM. Oops.

I didn't have a scratch. Barrel, upper & lower receivers and BCG were all toast. Magazine blew apart but was reusable. Some rounds in the mag were gorked up. Found some sharp chunks of aluminum here n there. After 30 mins looking around, I happily found my new T1 optic under a bench about 10-15 yds away.

I've since gone to all 300 mags get double wrapped with 2 of those rubber bracelet bands that say 300 BLK in them. And I don't take both 223 and 300 ARs OR the magazines to the line for any reason. So long as I don't forget that, I should not have a repeat. Might not be so lucky next time.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top