Just getting started with 45 Colt

Bill Siegle

Reactions
Ok total newbie getting started with reloading and I have chosen a Lee Loader set up and 45Colt. I have bought some new brass along with some I saved and I have some large handgun primers inbound. I want to build some target ammo in the 800-900fps range. I am looking for suggestions on what powder(s) to use and how best(cheapest really) to clean my brass. I was thinking of using lead bullets in semi wad cutter form but the choices are wide. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks!

I use 12gr blue dot for 230, 250 and 260gr I also use unique @8.5gr these will be in the FPS you want. I didnt bother cleaning my brass until 3 loads in but you can use the liquid brass cleaner and air dry. I have an old rock tumbler that I use walnut media in to tumble when needed. Been wanting to get a sonic cleaner but have not yet.

If you want or need any info/help just let me know. This is the cartridge that I started with as well and just the savings for the 45lc paid for the initial investment. Depending on the firearm you have I also have a favorite load for 300gr bullets.

Reactions
I use HS6 (9.0 to 9.3 GR) with 250 GR Cast FP from Missouri Bullet Co.
This was my first project with the same equipment too; I started with LP Mag primers but I backed off and went with reg primers because of leading.

I clean my cases with corn in a Lyman tumbler; sometimes I add a little hoppies #9 or car wax.

On the LC, I take the time to seal the primers because they are exposed to the rain when in the cylinder or cowboy belts.

I found a "bandwidth-burner" about the LC online; if you want to see this lengthy document, send me a PM with your email.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom