1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought about scratches...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Gunner3456, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I restore old Schwinn bikes - mostly mid 50's to early 60's and I belong to a couple of forums for that.

We HATE it when we have to scratch our paint when clamping a generator bracket or when sliding on or screwing on a clamp for brake and shifter cables, etc. This is true whether it's new paint or nice original.

One of the guys came up with the idea of buying some of that clear "sticky back" film that's used on the nose of a car or pickup to stop rock chips. He cuts a small strip and lines the inside of the clamp with it, trims the edges with a single edged razor blade, and... no more scratches.

From now on I will be doing that for such things as the clamp at the end of a shotgun mag extension, and anywhere else I have to clamp something to the finish of the gun and expect or risk a scratch.

Just a thought for y'all...

2. td1622

td1622 Eugene, Or New Member

Thanks for the tip ... I will give it a try.
  3. Migo

Migo NE Portland, Oregon Member

I used Kapton tape on the inside of my scope rings before tightening them down on the scope. It works very well and the tape is very thin and stiff so it doesn't interfere with the rings or allow the scope to wiggle within the rings.
  4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

I don't remember what it's called, but you can get replacement clear film to recover I-pod & cell phone screens. It's pretty tuff stuff. I don't know how it compares in price though.
  6. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Eh, I don't mind scratches on my guns. Gives 'em character. The finish is going to get beat up anyway from holster wear and competitions. I don't own any safe queens.

...yet :p