JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As we probably all know a court facility is generally off limits to CCW.

ORS 166.370
(2)(a)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:

(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.

However there is an exception in (b) stating: (b)The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.

My first question is: has anyone heard of a "presiding judge" every making this kind of an exception in general, for a specific person, or for a CHL holder?

Second: Who is the "presiding judge?" It says "The presiding judge" not "a presiding judge" so I'm assuming it is a specific judge that needs to make the order permitting the exception in the specific county.

Any INAL help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

~Eagle~

I would be very surprised if any judge has ever made that exception, and if they did, I would seriously doubt it would ever be for a CHL holder. I've served on jury duty in Clackamas County 5 times over the years and have never seen this exception made. I just assume a courtroom is off- limits - it's one of the few areas I don't carry.

I am inclined to agree, though I could see it being this way merely because few have ever asked.

You may be supersized at the doors that sometimes open merely because someone took the time to ask.

I presume you're asking because you've been summoned? If so, please do ask and let us know how it goes.

I presume you're asking because you've been summoned? If so, please do ask and let us know how it goes.
Well, see that is why I asked about who the presiding judge is.

If one is going to ask it should be asked of the correct person. I could easily see asking the wrong person who has an aversion to the idea and telling you "no" even though they were not authorized to make that exception in the first place.

If you are getting jury duty, it's much more important for you to learn about fully-informed juries than whether you can take a gun in.

https://fija.org/

Think about whether it makes sense to send someone to jail for mere mala prohibita. With 2.4 million Americans in jail, there are more than enough there already.

If you are getting jury duty, it's much more important for you to learn about fully-informed juries than whether you can take a gun in.

https://fija.org/

Think about whether it makes sense to send someone to jail for mere mala prohibita. With 2.4 million Americans in jail, there are more than enough there already.
While I can appreciate the sentiment, whether I can or cannot is very important to me. I don't presume to tell anyone else what "is" and "is not" important. What may be much less important you you may be the pinnacle of importance to others.

Further your post is Off-Topic :rolleyes:

:)

Eagle

Well, see that is why I asked about who the presiding judge is.

If one is going to ask it should be asked of the correct person. I could easily see asking the wrong person who has an aversion to the idea and telling you "no" even though they were not authorized to make that exception in the first place.

I don't know where you are, but in Clackamas County, the jury candidates assemble in a room separate of the courthouse, though I can't recall if the rule applies there because it's just a commercial building down the street. You would need to get your judgment before you try to actually enter the courthouse, which means you would need to know who the judge is on the trial you're first being interviewed for, before the interview starts (in the courthouse), for a jury you may not even serve on. I don't see how you could go from sitting in the waiting area to being called in for your interview and have time to pull that off. I suspect it is highly unlikely. When they call you, it's time to go, now. I doubt they would be okay with that kind of delay. But again, let us know if you give it a go.

At Washington Countys courthouse I talked to a few folks to find someone in charge, once I found a person of moderate importance I asked about defensive lifestyles and the fact that We as firearm owners are discriminated against as per law by banning our right to carry and defend ourselves while there. I also asked about lockers and an exterior auxiliary window to pay for ones extortion fee..

She seemed surprised someone would dare question the discrimination and the fact that a person would even carry a firearm day to day. I knew it wouldnt go anywhere but every now and then I like to mix things up and talk to idiots like that.

All government dolts are worthless.

Based on my experience in Portland (multnomah county), you would need to go to the jury pool first, and then to a specific courtroom for voir-dire. If you get past that point, and make it to a jury, you could then ask the judge that will preside over that case.

So, based on that, until you know the presiding judge, I don't know that you could appeal for an exemption.

It's an interesting question, but I don't know that I'd bring my gun to the jury pool, only to be turned away and have to go lock it in the car.

In Marion County I wouldn't have made it past the "No Firearms" sign and the metal detector.

Good luck OP.
I have lived and transferred my CHL in Marion County before and was frisked because of my empty holster. I fully understand what you go though. Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Eagle

So, I just called the Linn County Court Admin office. Apparently a "presiding judge" is a single person until they retire. They are a judge that has an added "administrative" roll if you will to give various orders in procedure to other judges. The "presiding judge" does not change case by case. There is a different presiding judge for each county.

So, I got the presiding judges info and will be sending him a letter.

I will post back when or if I receive a denial or approval.

I'm not optimistic but I am willing to ask for the cost of a stamp.

Eagle

So, I just called the Linn County Court Admin office. Apparently a "presiding judge" is a single person until they retire. They are a judge that has an added "administrative" roll if you will to give various orders in procedure to other judges. The "presiding judge" does not change case by case. There is a different presiding judge for each county.

So, I got the presiding judges info and will be sending him a letter.

I will post back when or if I receive a denial or approval.

I'm not optimistic but I am willing to ask for the cost of a stamp.

Eagle
Thats more than a lot of folks have ever done. Im interested to hear the outcome! Fingers crossed.

I was a Court Security Deputy for seven years and I can tell you that it isn't going to happen.

I will defer to SHPD's professional opinion, but as someone who has served on juries in both Multnomah and Washington Counties and been through security procedures in both courthouses, I'm thinking your chances are very slight in getting permission to carry. The issue is not your stability but the fact that those buildings are full of people who may be in custody but know how do bad things with firearms and have an idea on how to get control of them.

My local county courthouse is two story and all jury/court business is on the second level, plainly marked NO FIREARMS. The lower floor is county business and not firearms restricted. There are lockers on the lower level and jail office to store firearms if needed. This is Washington and I believe it is a common setup. Call your courthouse and politely ask them what the arrangements are.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top