JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me enlighten everyone here a bit about Josephine County.

That is very likely the most corrupt and crooked county in the state. They have tried to pass that garbage levy in order to "pay for law enforcement" for the last ten years. The sheriff has threatened for years that he would take away patrols if the levy didn't pass. Josephine is one of the better armed counties in the state, and when I was there I voted against the levy too.

That crooked place just wants more money to line the pockets, and they are trying to punish the residents for not wanting higher taxes. The people need to push back, but I'm afraid volunteers would be rejected because that would be counter intuitive to the desired outcome for the sheriff.

What really needs to happen is the people just need to take some personal responsibility and realize the cops wont be there. Buy a firearm, train, and protect yourself. Eliminate the need for that greedy county all together.

So the Sheriff blames the county for his loss of a federal subsidy? Did he put forth a levy/bond for them to vote on and it lose?

Yes. County residents voted down the latest attempt at at public safety levy two days ago. Apparently Josephine County residents don't want a sheriffs department.

Josephine County has the 4th lowest property tax rate in the state.

E

Are these patrols still in business?

Armed posse patrols in place of Josephine County sheriff

It seems that this would apply:
Citizen’s Arrest ORS 133.225 (1) A private person may arrest another person for any crime committed in the presence of the private person. ORS161.255… a private person… is justified in using physical force upon another person…to make an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody…(2) A private person acting under…subsection (1)…is justified in using deadly physical force only…for self-defense or to defend a third person from… the use or imminent use of deadly physical force.

Yes. County residents voted down the latest attempt at at public safety levy two days ago. Apparently Josephine County residents don't want a sheriffs department.

Josephine County has the 4th lowest property tax rate in the state.

E

Like I said...The Sheriff has been holding it over the heads of the county for years. It's extortion.

It's not that they don't want a sheriffs department...They don't want to lose the low property tax.

It's bad enough you can never really own your own piece of ground and have to pay the state for the privilege of owning a home.

If it was important enough to the extortionist sheriff and the rest of those crooked idiots, they would find other sources for the revenue.

Couple of things I took away -

1 - this was not some stranger attack - the woman knew the attacker
2 - he had done the same thing to her, just shortly before "The woman told the dispatcher that Bellah previously attacked her and left her hospitalized a few weeks prior to the latest incident."
3 - the Sheriff has invited those who have a domestic violence threat, to leave his county - to move somewhere with police protection. "The sheriff’s department even put out a press release warning domestic violence victims to “consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services.”"

She did it wrong... you don't call 9-1-1 when you are in immediate danger.
You do this!

Good, but it doesn't say "Colt"

Dial1911_zpsfeebff01.jpg

For a woman her first line of defense should be having her wits about her, then a well trained large breed dog. Then of course a good handgun that she can carry everywhere. Few ladies do well with a shotgun

As to breed we choose Rotties but they are a handful, full of power, attitude and stubborn. Best good dog IMO for a woman is a good German Shepherd

No one has made it past the front door at our home after realizing we "Had Rottie". They love fighting and horseplay. Imagine if he was really teed off

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said...The Sheriff has been holding it over the heads of the county for years. It's extortion.

It's not that they don't want a sheriffs department...They don't want to lose the low property tax.

It's bad enough you can never really own your own piece of ground and have to pay the state for the privilege of owning a home.

If it was important enough to the extortionist sheriff and the rest of those crooked idiots, they would find other sources for the revenue.

Look, I was born in GP. I graduated from North Valley. My family still runs a business in GP.

Josephine County has always attracted anti-tax, anti-government type folks (which is how I came to land there) so it's really no great surprise to me that these levies keep getting shot down.

The problem today is that the County no longer receives federal timber receipts. When the County was receiving that money things were fine because the County didn't have to place much of a tax burden on its residents. Now that the federal money has dried up, the County has asked the residents to take up the slack, which they have largely refused.

It's their choice, but they shouldn't whine about it when no one shows up to answer the call.

E

Look, I was born in GP. I graduated from North Valley. My family still runs a business in GP.

Josephine County has always attracted anti-tax, anti-government type folks (which is how I came to land there) so it's really no great surprise to me that these levies keep getting shot down.

The problem today is that the County no longer receives federal timber receipts. When the County was receiving that money things were fine because the County didn't have to place much of a tax burden on its residents. Now that the federal money has dried up, the County has asked the residents to take up the slack, which they have largely refused.

It's their choice, but they shouldn't whine about it when no one shows up to answer the call.

E

I was born and raised in Medford, as well as later owning a business based in Grants Pass. Not just some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I understand that the federal timber receipts are gone, and I know what that did.

I also agree that no one should whine because of lack of law enforcement. They need to take some personal responsibility for their safety, and act accordingly. It would also help to fire or recall every single person who works for the county and start over. That county was broken long before the money dried up.

I was born and raised in Medford, as well as later owning a business based in Grants Pass. Not just some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I understand that the federal timber receipts are gone, and I know what that did.

I also agree that no one should whine because of lack of law enforcement. They need to take some personal responsibility for their safety, and act accordingly. It would also help to fire or recall every single person who works for the county and start over. That county was broken long before the money dried up.

I'm not sure how long you were there but I'm thinking it was not long enough to get a vibe for the folk who live there. For Christs sake, your from Medford. You guys had a McDonald's!

I've been hearing stories of corruption and cronyism since I was a kid in the '70s and the stories problably pre-date that.

Funny thing is that the targets of the allegations have been replaced multiple times, yet the charges always seem to resurface, often put forward by the same folks in Cave Junction or Selma who made the allegations against the previous elected officials.

I swear to God, we could elect Mother Teresa to public office in the county and once the 6-8 month honeymoon expires, it's déjà vu all over again.

The number two consumer commodity in Josephine County, behind grow lights, is tin foil.

E

the Sheriff has invited those who have a domestic violence threat, to leave his county - to move somewhere with police protection. "The sheriff’s department even put out a press release warning domestic violence victims to “consider relocating to an area with adequate law enforcement services.”"

What crap. The victim has to pay the price????? That's pure bovine scat.

E

Exactly.

Really? I don't get the mentality that all of a city, or county, or states problems are because of it's employees. That's just plain baloney.

I swear to God, we could elect Mother Teresa to public office in the county and once the 6-8 month honeymoon expires, it's déjà vu all over again.

I live in Douglas county. I honestly believe that like Josephine county even Jesus Christ himself couldn't get elected because he would be considered too liberal.

Really? I don't get the mentality that all of a city, or county, or states problems are because of it's employees. That's just plain baloney.

Yeah? Go live there. Have something go through the court system or DA's office and watch the involved parties not recuse themselves, or grant change of venue due to conflict of interest and then tell me how that is bologna.

Let me state this clearly: Josephine County, Oregon, is wholly and totally corrupt. Them asking for more money in order to provide protection is the equivalent of mafia groups demanding payment for protection. It is extortion, plain and simple. The people who work within that county are corrupt, therefore the problem.

Never needed or cared about having police for my own security. Cut their bloated budgets by 90% tomorrow - a great thing.

Elderly people or weaklings should have weapons or enlist the help/protection of neighbors. My disabled vet neighbor knows with one call I'll be there at his door in the middle of the night within 60 seconds, or he can wait 15 minutes for cops, his choice.

Perhaps people aren't completely sold on how badly they need cops anymore and they've had enough of their antics and said enough is enough. Good for Josephine County.

While sad, this is just another example of the fact that the police are NOT under any obligation to come to the assistance of anyone, anywhere. The police NEVER have to respond when you call 911. The fact that they do sometimes, is great, but to expect that they always will is silly. (See DeShaney v Winnebago County, Castle Rock v Gonzales).

In the end it is always up to us to defend ourselves....

Regardless if the agency is corrupt or not the main problem is how the government runs things. It is the same game everywhere. They cut essential resources and fund useless entitlement programs like welfare, ESL and other government agencies we don't need such as DEQ, etc... Just my two cents.

hker71

Granted, I've only been in the area for 51 years, but its been long enough to remember the high flying days of timber revenues, when mediocre politicians had plenty of money to spend and not worry about budgets. The folks next door in Jo county got used to the low taxes, and while I doubt they are any more contrary than the rest of us down here, they have a deep and abiding distrust of politicians. What a surprise! Now, when the economy went south, they were caught off-guard, with no savings in the county coffers. Is the situation any less real due to dopey officials? Nah, bottom line is crime with little consequence, with no magic rabbit to pull out of a hat to save them.

You get the services you pay for, and yes, there is waste and moronic decision making by the powers that be. But do you think you are better off by saving those tax dollars? BTW, Jo county has the LOWEST taxes in the state. And voter turnout was abysmal. Draw whatever conclusions you want about pointing blame. There's lots to go around.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top