JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Koda If you are interested, read this one. The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI.

Well documented historical fact starting with a Catholic Anti-War Group's discovery of COINTELPRO and ending with implications of the Edward Snowden business (focus on the mom and pop group that found the original COINTELPRO but has a further reaching scope) talks about the National Surveillance Acts, etc. Fun little tidbits about Robert Muller too.

@Koda If you are interested, read this one. The Burglary: The Discovery of J. Edgar Hoover's Secret FBI.

Well documented historical fact starting with a Catholic Anti-War Group's discovery of COINTELPRO and ending with implications of the Edward Snowden business (focus on the mom and pop group that found the original COINTELPRO but has a further reaching scope) talks about the National Surveillance Acts, etc. Fun little tidbits about Robert Muller too.
sounds like they target organized groups not everyone else..?

I'm sure our benevolent overlords would consider membership to this forum an "organized group". Though it would be stretching the term "organized" so far beyond the limits of reality as to be unrecognizable.

You don't think they're building those massive datacenters just to give us free backups, do you?
I cant imagine just how much disk space it would take to organize and save 335 million phone call audio recordings each day x 365 days... just in case someone is a bad guy.
This is one of those subjects that no matter what the govt is actually doing or not, nothing will change for us average people. We can talk about it all day long and not one of us is going to do anything different in our daily lives to counter whatever it is the govt is secretly doing to spy on us.

I cant imagine just how much disk space it would take to organize and save 335 million phone call audio recordings each day x 365 days... just in case someone is a bad guy.
That's what server farms are for. And the cost of data storage continues to plummet. What was only theoretically possible 20 years ago is routine today.

That's what server farms are for. And the cost of data storage continues to plummet. What was only theoretically possible 20 years ago is routine today.
If you'd told me 20 years ago when 20gb was the best hard drive my laptop could take that 15-20 years later I'd be carrying thirty terabytes daily in my briefcase I'd have said you needed your head examined.

"Our" government spying on US citizens....
Of course that happens.

Not happy about that...nor is it a surprise.
With that said...
I also have no proof of that being true.
( Although I don't doubt that it is true )

This :
We can talk about it all day long and not one of us is going to do anything different in our daily lives to counter whatever it is the govt is secretly doing to spy on us.
Is important...and a damn good thought provoking statement.
One that could easily be turned into a question...
As in...Just what can one do about it...?
Again as with the quoted statement...one can talk or ask about this all damn day and still not get an answer or anything done.

In any event..
I ain't going to do much if anything about changing what I say via the phone , text , the forum here , etc...
It ain't good to be overly concerned 'bout things that one can't control.
Andy

On a govt wide level?
Seems the size of audio files x the 355M phone calls daily far exceeds building data farms just to store said calls indefinitely.
I just dont see the motivation for this even if there was a govt that wanted to subvert their minions.

"Our" government spying on US citizens....
Of course that happens.

Not happy about that...nor is it a surprise.
With that said...
I also have no proof of that being true.
( Although I don't doubt that it is true )
IMO not on a mass scale as suggested here. You'd have to be part of an illegal movement.

One can argue the govt spies on this forum cause were pro gun. Pro gun is a movement after all...
But its pointless for them to monitor this forum, were not criminals here and the data collected here cant be used against us cause were not breaking any laws. I feel sorry for the agent assigned to us... lol, there must be a high turnover rate :p

On a govt wide level?
Seems the size of audio files x the 355M phone calls daily far exceeds building data farms just to store said calls indefinitely.
I just dont see the motivation for this even if there was a govt that wanted to subvert their minions.
Let's say the audio recording is made in mp3 format to save space and because HD audio is not required for the purpose. 1mb = ~ 1min of recorded audio. 1 tb = 1 million mb. A single server can have storage capacity in the hundreds of tb's, and server farms can house as hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of servers. Storing that amount of data is not a trivial exercise, but entirely possible.

Edited to include:

Did some quick googling. A high-tier datacenter of about 980,000 square feet can hold up to 2.6 million servers. If you factor in government owned operations, big corporations like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft, and the thousands of smaller companies who specialize in digital storage, there are probably thousands of datacenters running today.

Last Edited:
Let's say the audio recording is made in mp3 format to save space and because HD audio is not required for the purpose. 1mb = ~ 1min of recorded audio. 1 tb = 1 million mb. A single server can have storage capacity in the hundreds of tb's, and server farms can house as hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of servers. Storing that amount of data is not a trivial exercise, but entirely possible.
Agree its possible, I just don't see the motivation on a mass scale.

Im more impressed we take the time to store all the cell photos of lattes and dinner plates posted thru txt messaging and on social media. Heck most teens have like 10000 duckface selfies uploaded forever in the sky...
Im sure the FBIs got an agent going thru each and every one.

Agree its possible, I just don't see the motivation on a mass scale.

Im more impressed we take the time to store all the cell photos of lattes and dinner plates posted thru txt messaging and on social media. Heck most teens have like 10000 duckface selfies uploaded forever in the sky...
Im sure the FBIs got an agent going thru each and every one.
The volume we're talking is far beyond the capability for every image or audio file to be reviewed by a human. That's what AI and machine learning are used for. I would counter your question with "What's the motivation for them NOT to?" In order to record data you have to have the capacity to store it, and it's a lot easier to just record and store everything and just sort through it with AI and ML than to pick and choose which items to record. Even if they follow some basic record management practices and purge unneeded content once a year, that's still a vast pool of data that can be tapped for all kinds of things, some of which are beneficial to society, and many of which are not.

Believe what you want, my friend. All I can say is humanity's single most consistent failing is to underestimate the capabilities of emerging technologies.

Think we've got privacy problems?

I found this particular part fascinating:

The Chinese Communist Party implemented a grid system to ensure systematic surveillance of its citizens. Neighborhoods and regions have been divided into grids. Residents of the grids have been recruited to go door to door, inspecting the living spaces in houses and reporting their findings to authorities. The organization of these inspections allows for more detailed searches. The monitors' task is to visit houses regularly and collect information on people, places, events, objects and emotions. In particular, they inspect computers for sites visited and content viewed. The grid workers are members or supporters of the CCP.

China is a one party system. Massively. Warshington state is just about a one party system, with vestiges of a second party here and there but not to any practical effect. This bears close watching but taking gun laws as an example, it's difficult to see how the minority can exert much influence on events. The middle is too far away.

F-B-I...ShhmeF-B-I... It's those creepy Robots that give me the heebie-jeebies!
ui_robots.jpg

:s0156:

ui_Rob-E_Robots.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show