JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For a woman her first line of defense should be having her wits about her, then a well trained large breed dog. Then of course a good handgun that she can carry everywhere. Few ladies do well with a shotgun
As to breed we choose Rotties but they are a handful, full of power, attitude and stubborn. Best good dog IMO for a woman is a good German Shepherd

No one has made it past the front door at our home after realizing we "Had Rottie". They love fighting and horseplay. Imagine if he was really teed off

A couple of things;

1. Any woman can learn to handle a shotgun just as well as a man. It is simply a matter of finding one that is the correct size. If she is small in stature she may need a "youth" model but the overall size of the gun has no effect on the accuracy or effectiveness of what comes out of the barrel. If recoil is an issue there are reduced recoil buckshot loads available, or she can go down to a 20 gauge which is still plenty adequate for home defense.

2. The biggest, meanest dog in the world is no match for an intruder with a gun. All a dog can do in that case is take a bullet for you.

3. The best "watchdog" I have ever had....and I'm not kidding here...is a toy poodle. Mine is high-strung and alert 24/7. He sits on top of the couch and looks out the window and he will bark if anyone sets foot on the property. He will wake up in the middle of the night at the slightest noise while my other dogs remain sound asleep. He eats less than a handful of kibble per day and poops out a Tootsie roll. I dont want a dog that will bite anyone; I want a dog that will wake me up so that I can decide who needs to be bitten, and how hard, and with what.

A couple of things;

1. Any woman can learn to handle a shotgun just as well as a man. It is simply a matter of finding one that is the correct size. If she is small in stature she may need a "youth" model but the overall size of the gun has no effect on the accuracy or effectiveness of what comes out of the barrel. If recoil is an issue there are reduced recoil buckshot loads available, or she can go down to a 20 gauge which is still plenty adequate for home defense.

2. The biggest, meanest dog in the world is no match for an intruder with a gun. All a dog can do in that case is take a bullet for you.

3. The best "watchdog" I have ever had....and I'm not kidding here...is a toy poodle. Mine is high-strung and alert 24/7. He sits on top of the couch and looks out the window and he will bark if anyone sets foot on the property. He will wake up in the middle of the night at the slightest noise while my other dogs remain sound asleep. He eats less than a handful of kibble per day and poops out a Tootsie roll. I dont want a dog that will bite anyone; I want a dog that will wake me up so that I can decide who needs to be bitten, and how hard, and with what.

I'll answer you one by one

1) Could not disagree more. my gal is 5 foot 5 and femmy.. she HATES shotguns and in no way has the ability to retain one in a struggle with an invader. Shes does fine with her AR15 (not used for everyday home defense) and her .357 magnums and Glock 23. There is no way in heck she is going to be convinced to use a shotgun short of the pathetic .410, and I concur

2) Most home invaders are unarmed.. and some carry knives.. (they are almost all cowards) they are toast if they run up against a protection trained large breed that has been poison proof trained. I have seen the effect a big male Rottie has on them and lets say they needed depends. They can be a wonderful deterrent and I swear by them for that purpose. Oh the funny Rottie VS creep stories I could tell over a few beers

3) You've never been a female, alone. Our first male kept my lady safe for the 3 months I was gone up up to WA to look for work and get us a domicile. No one was stupid enough to face off against 120 lbs of trained fury called Boris. Each person's situation is different

Some interesting reading on this and state funding issues:

Josephine, Curry county voters hand their problems to the Legislature | OregonLive.com

Comments by a former Brookings mayor:
<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

My take on this is if the state and fed gov are going to limit what can be done with the land they have to pick up the slack in funding. The feds could be paying property taxes for all that Fed land down there too. The only industry down there that has profitability is growing pot.

I'll answer you one by one

1) Could not disagree more. my gal is 5 foot 5 and femmy.. she HATES shotguns and in no way has the ability to retain one in a struggle with an invader. Shes does fine with her AR15 (not used for everyday home defense) and her .357 magnums and Glock 23. There is no way in heck she is going to be convinced to use a shotgun short of the pathetic .410, and I concur

The fact that she hates shotguns is a matter of personal preference, not gender. I was merely pointing out that the posession of breasts does not automatically prevent their owner from being able to learn to use a shotgun effectively. And as far as being able to retain one in a struggle goes...a shotgun (or any long gun for that matter) should only be deployed from a fixed position within the home, regardless of gender. If for whatever reason you need to "clear" the house or investigate a suspicious noise, a handgun is a far better choice since it is easier to retain and use in tight quarters.

2) Most home invaders are unarmed.. and some carry knives.. (they are almost all cowards) they are toast if they run up against a protection trained large breed that has been poison proof trained. I have seen the effect a big male Rottie has on them and lets say they needed depends. They can be a wonderful deterrent and I swear by them for that purpose. Oh the funny Rottie VS creep stories I could tell over a few beers

I wont argue that a big and properly trained dog can be an excellent deterrent.

I will say, however, that properly training such a dog requires a significant investment of time and money that might be better spent on firearms and firearms training for the individual that the dog is intended to protect. An improperly trained dog of the Doberman/Rottie/Shepherd/Pitbull variety can pose a significant liability for its owner. I'm a UPS driver who encounters thousands of dogs per year on their owners property, and most of the supposedly "intimidating" ones I meet require nothing more than a biscuit and some kind words for me to neutralize as a threat.

My take on this is if the state and fed gov are going to limit what can be done with the land they have to pick up the slack in funding. The feds could be paying property taxes for all that Fed land down there too. The only industry down there that has profitability is growing pot.

THIS^^^^ ... and perhaps a reasonable argument to legalize MJ.

Counties that are primarily government land are hurting. At this point, I think there's a better chance of being able to grow pot than seeing logging operations return at a decent level in a lot of areas.

If you live here in GP then you will know why they did not pass the Levy "No New Taxes!"

I dont want to increase my taxes so the criminals can stay in air condition room during summer, while I sweat my balls outside working my as$ off to pay more taxes. I dont want my grandparents that live on fix incoming monthly have to worry about all the hospital bills that they have to pay while the criminals get their dental hygence and medical for free. I dont want to pay more tax becAuse while people here have no jobs and no money while our country sending money over Sea.

Instead of increasing tax we need to fix our system, our system are corrupted! We rather spend money on Criminals, politicians and Countries that will attack us any chance they get. Now they make us all pay for that? I am willing to increase more tax only if I see the criminals works for their food and housing and their victims. Instead of rewarding them for their crims we should punish them. Whoever get arrest for petty crime print their pictures nam address on the front page of the news paper.

If you live here in GP then you will know why they did not pass the Levy "No New Taxes!"

I am willing to increase more tax only if I see the criminals works for their food and housing and their victims. Instead of rewarding them for their crims we should punish them. Whoever get arrest for petty crime print their pictures nam address on the front page of the news paper.

I agree that the criminals should be working...Hard labor. You go to county lock up for any reason, you go out with the work crew as long as you are there. And I'm not talking trash pick up on I-5, I'm saying find jobs that are hard and even maybe a little dangerous. Criminals have a free ride and it's garbage. The public humiliation should happen as well, though, it could make it more difficult for them to find gainful employment after they get out. But maybe that's not such a bad thing if it forces them to leave town to find work...

I live in Douglas county. I honestly believe that like Josephine county even Jesus Christ himself couldn't get elected because he would be considered too liberal.

Ain't that the truth. :s0112:

Also in the interest of full disclosure to speeddemon94 and others, and even though I still have family there, I bailed on Josephine County after college. It's a great place to grow up, not so great a place to earn a living.

E

Less cops? Why is that bad? An illegal use of money forced out of my hands and used to oppress me? In the name of "keeping me safe"?

No thanks. I got this. Shove your badge somewhere useful and hand me the firearm that I purchased for you, while you tried your damnedest to keep me from owning them. Disgusting.

I believe the term is "I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire".

Step 1: Act like a man and arm yourself.
Step 2: Show the fuzz the doorand take your community back.

In the immortal words of Don Vito Corleone:

"Godfather, what can I do? What can I do?"
"YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!"

Oh brother.... :s0077: We got a pot head on a gun forum.

Do you drink "adult beverages" per chance? How much? How much is too much? Whats the latest propaganda coming out of the ad-council and NTSB or whatever various fed/state gov agencies? "Buzzed driving is drunk driving!" MADD and others are now pushing the alcohol limit to .05...

Click it or ticket! Trigger lock or your locked up?

Ain't that the truth. :s0112:

Also in the interest of full disclosure to speeddemon94 and others, and even though I still have family there, I bailed on Josephine County after college. It's a great place to grow up, not so great a place to earn a living.

E

Yeah, I knew that by your location saying Vernonia, but I do get it.

I've got retirement income now, and am still young (37). So even though I had planned on going to Alaska, we decided to head back down there once I'm done with school. Gonna do my best to help that job market though, restaurant, brewery, and even a little firearms mfg project in the wings working. It's home, and I don't like seeing it ruined by greed and corruption.

Oh brother.... :s0077: We got a pot head on a gun forum.

Nope. Been 25+ years since I experimented. I am strictly a beer guy.

To be very honest, on the MJ issue I waiver back and forth quite a bit. I think that legalization could open up a huge can of worms and on the other hand what is being done now isn't working. I don't know what the right answer is on the MJ issue.

The woman who was raped, sodomized and beaten by her boyfriend lives in Cave Junction. That kind of deviant behavior happens all the time out there. The Josephine County sheriff's department, county government, and the new jail are funded by property owners who live in the county out side the city limits. The city of Grants pass has their own police department, and government supported by a tax base totally separate from the county tax base. Yes, two governments and two law enforcement agencies in the same county. No wonder we are broke. The city of Grants Pass has no jail and rents space from the county jail. They don't pay any other funding such as deputy salaries. Grants Pass is being overrun by transients, bums, crazies and low life's. Why? Because of the free food, and free places to sleep all provided by Christian organizations. They also get free medical and dental courtesy of the tax payers. The people who live within the city and business owners want them locked up in the county jail that they did not pay for. Every time the County passes a law enforcement levy to fund the jail the County Commissioners steal the money from the sheriff's budget to pay for pay increase for themselves and their buddy's who work in our bloated county government This has been going on for thirty years. Even when the sheriff has ample funding, there is no sheriff service in the county, they will not respond unless it's a life and death situation. The City of Grants Pass created the mess they find themselves in, let them clean it up. I don't think just because I live in the county I should pay for a service I don't get, won't get and never have had. In the county we don't bother dialing 911, we dial 1911. I will offer some good advice, stop feeding the bums and cut the hamstrings of all thieves, at least it will slow them down.

The woman who was raped, sodomized and beaten by her boyfriend lives in Cave Junction. That kind of deviant behavior happens all the time out there. The Josephine County sheriff's department, county government, and the new jail are funded by property owners who live in the county out side the city limits. The city of Grants pass has their own police department, and government supported by a tax base totally separate from the county tax base. Yes, two governments and two law enforcement agencies in the same county. No wonder we are broke. The city of Grants Pass has no jail and rents space from the county jail. They don't pay any other funding such as deputy salaries. Grants Pass is being overrun by transients, bums, crazies and low life's. Why? Because of the free food, and free places to sleep all provided by Christian organizations. They also get free medical and dental courtesy of the tax payers. The people who live within the city and business owners want them locked up in the county jail that they did not pay for. Every time the County passes a law enforcement levy to fund the jail the County Commissioners steal the money from the sheriff's budget to pay for pay increase for themselves and their buddy's who work in our bloated county government This has been going on for thirty years. Even when the sheriff has ample funding, there is no sheriff service in the county, they will not respond unless it's a life and death situation. The City of Grants Pass created the mess they find themselves in, let them clean it up. I don't think just because I live in the county I should pay for a service I don't get, won't get and never have had. In the county we don't bother dialing 911, we dial 1911. I will offer some good advice, stop feeding the bums and cut the hamstrings of all thieves, at least it will slow them down.

so tell to dispatcher you fear for your life and are going to do everything you can to stop the b g up to and including shoot them to stop the threat.

Or do like the old boy out in White City last summer. He had his daughter on the phone, right behind him as the druggy forced his way through the door and was shot dead.

Grand Jury deemed it justified, and I'm sure the 911 tapes helped.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top