JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As some of you read in this thread, I attended a Project Appleseed event last month with my AR15. Spending a weekend getting to know my AR great in that I needed the experience with the platform, but part of me wished I had a .22 like most of the other guys so I could focus on the training. Since then I've been looking for a 10/22 to affordably work on the principles we were taught in the class and take to the next Appleseed event I attend. I've also believed for a long time that a 10/22 is one of those guns everyone should own (along with the AR15, Glock 19, and Remington 870 :s0030:).

My plans at this point are more or less the same as most of the 10/22 builds I see; a reliable rifle accurate from a bench or prone and portable enough that I can take it hiking or hunting if need be. I understand these jack-of-all-trades type builds might not master any one thing, but I think that's fine for my first 10/22 build.

After the class I told my buddy about my plans for a 10/22, who immediately went out and bought one, along with a Tac-Sol barrel, the X-22 stock, and various Kidd goodies. After shooting his my itch grew stronger, as they do. Despite wanting a blued receiver, I purchased this stainless model when it popped up the other day. As a bonus this one already had the Magpul X-22 stock I wanted, the Magpul M-LOK QD sling adapter, and a 16" fluted bull barrel from Green Mountain. My plan was to go with a threaded Kidd lightweight or Ultra Lightweight, as I eventually want to suppress this, but this should do just fine for now. Something tells me this won't be my only 10/22 :D

Part List

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 Stainless
Barrel: Green Mountain 16.5" Blue Fluted Sporter
Trigger: Ruger BX
Stock: Magpul Hunter X-22
Scope: Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12x40 (AO)
Rings: Leupold Rifleman Matte Medium
Bi-Pod: Ohuhu 6-Inch to 9-Inch Adjustable
Other: Magpul M-LOK QD Sling Attachment
Other: Magpul M-LOK Bipod Mount
Other: TacSol Magazine Release

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Last Edited:
Is that Magpul stock heavier than the factory 10/22 stock?

Funny thing about a 10/22 is when you get done modding it, you can put all the original parts back together and have that second 10/22

Sunday I ordered the Magpul bipod mount and a cheap Chinese bi-pod that got decent reviews. I'm hoping to find a deal on a Harris during the Black Friday sales.

I don't know much about scopes, but I have two Vortex Crossfire 2 scopes which I think might work for this, one 4-12x40 and one 4-12x50. I've also been looking at some of the Leupold lightweight scopes. I can't believe all the different mounting options! I've heard a set of $12 Weaver rings on the factory Weaver rail is all I need but I need to confirm.

If one of those scopes will work for it I should be able to pick up a set of rings and hit the range after work this Friday :D

Is that Magpul stock heavier than the factory 10/22 stock?

Good question! I've been trying to find the weight of the factory stock but mostly found a bunch of dead links. From what little I've found it seems the X-22 and the factory stocks are in the same ballpark (around 2.5lbs).

Funny thing about a 10/22 is when you get done modding it, you can put all the original parts back together and have that second 10/22

Heh yep, the buddy I mentioned offered to put his 10/22 back to stock, sell it to me, then just buy the Kidd receiver (he already has their trigger group and bolt). I actually ran the numbers to see if I'd be better off just buying a Kidd receiver, but man does all of that add up fast! I can't afford to drop all of that cash at once, so this will be a slow build.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is taking our guns out and comparing the different components side-by-side. TacSol barrel vs Green Mountain, Kidd trigger vs stock, affects of the aftermarket bolt, etc. Since he has the Kidd trigger I might have my trigger done at Brimstone, just for the fun of comparison.

Looks like a good plan. Sounds like your buddy is definitely on the right track and you're playing catch up!

I'd really like to see you put a nice L&S lightweight scope on there...

Looks like a good plan. Sounds like your buddy is definitely on the right track and you're playing catch up!

I'd really like to see you put a nice L&S lightweight scope on there...

:s0114::s0114::s0114:

For reference, @Weebs is the aforementioned buddy :s0005:

Where's your build thread?? :D

I have a bone-stock black/synthetic 10/22 with a 25yr. old bushnell 3-9x scope on it, and it will easily shoot dime sized groups all day long if you do your part. I usually plink at plastic bottle caps set on edge, and seed "pods" on the ends of the blades of tall grass if not just @ the blades themselves. ;)

I have a bone-stock black/synthetic 10/22 with a 25yr. old bushnell 3-9x scope on it, and it will easily shoot dime sized groups all day long if you do your part. I usually plink at plastic bottle caps set on edge, and seed "pods" on the ends of the blades of tall grass if not just @ the blades themselves. ;)

When we head to the range Friday we're going to bring @Weebs' stock barrel so we can swap them out and compare :)

Just got back from Cabela's, grabbed some Leupold scope rings to get the x40 Vortex mounted up. No idea if I did it correctly :s0114:

Apologies for the terrible photo. Bipod and mount will be here tomorrow!

IMG_4338.JPG

Got the bi-pod mounted up yesterday. My entire living room smelled like China (aka Harbor Freight) for a good hour after opening the small package :s0118:

I think it'll do fine for range work, but I certainly wouldn't take it anywhere I had to rely on it. Overall I'm happy with it for $16, but I am waiting on a good Harris deal.

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

Sweet build, I bet you really enjoy it.

I couldn't tell you how many 10/22's I've owned but it's a fair number. I currently have 4 + a takedown Charger and made a deal to buy one of the new factory takedown ultralights just yesterday.

So funny thing, with my six 10/22 based guns no two are really suited for the same job ;-)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top