JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sweet build, I bet you really enjoy it.

I couldn't tell you how many 10/22's I've owned but it's a fair number. I currently have 4 + a takedown Charger and made a deal to buy one of the new factory takedown ultralights just yesterday.

So funny thing, with my six 10/22 based guns no two are really suited for the same job ;-)

I won't know until tomorrow when I shoot it, but I'll be sure to report back :)

I originally thought I might be able to build this one to do everything reasonably well, but I'm quickly finding that's not the case. I'm also finding that although 22lr ammo and the initial 10/22 purchase is cheap, that's where the savings stop! I have more into this than a couple of my AR's :rolleyes:

So today, the Joe and I made it out to the range to perform a 2 person scientific .22 shootout.

We wanted to establish baselines for our rifles and see how various components performed in a controlled environment.

Rifle 1: Rob's
Magpul x-22 stock
High cheek riser
Tactical solutions .920" heavy barrel
Kidd single stage 2.5 lb trigger
Harris bi-pod
Kidd bolt
Kidd spring kit
Burris XTR-312 3-12x50 scope
Tactical solutions picatinny rail

Rifle 2: Joe's
Magpul x-22 stock
Medium cheek riser
Chinesium bi-pod
Vortex 3-9x40 scope
Stock everything else (scope rail, barrel, trigger group, bolt)

Rifle 3: GM (Joe's with a changed barrel)
Green Mountain heavy barrel

After sighting the scopes in shot 11 different types of ammo. Varying from bulk to unobtainable these days.

Attached is the spreadsheet of our shooting results. A VERY STRONG DISCLAIMER... Measurements were taken with a home depot set of calipers that are painfully inaccurate. If we were to do it again we'd use a better set and actually get a reading out to .001. There was a TON of rounding. The numbers we wrote down were only good to the 1/16", but in reality there was probably 1/8" of inaccuracy. (I work in a precision machine shop and routinely measure stuff to the .0001" so these calipers make my soul cry).

22 shootout-page-001.jpg
22 shootout 2-page-001.jpg

Last Edited:
So today, the Joe and I made it out to the range to perform a 2 person scientific .22 shootout.

We wanted to establish baselines for our rifles and see how various components performed in a controlled environment.

Rifle 1: Rob's
Magpul x-22 stock
High cheek riser
Tactical solutions .920" heavy barrel
Kidd single stage 2.5 lb trigger
Harris bi-pod
Kidd bolt
Kidd spring kit
Burris XTR-312 3-12x50 scope
Tactical solutions picatinny rail

Rifle 2: Joe's
Magpul x-22 stock
Medium cheek riser
Chinesium bi-pod
Vortex 3-9x40 scope
Stock everything else (scope rail, barrel, trigger group, bolt)

Rifle 3: GM (Joe's with a changed barrel)
Green Mountain heavy barrel

After sighting the scopes in shot 11 different types of ammo. Varying from bulk to unobtainable these days.

Attached is the spreadsheet of our shooting results. A VERY STRONG DISCLAIMER... Measurements were taken with a home depot set of calipers that are painfully inaccurate. If we were to do it again we'd use a better set and actually get a reading out to .001. There was a TON of rounding. The numbers we wrote down were only good to the 1/16", but in reality there was probably 1/8" of inaccuracy. (I work in a precision machine shop and routinely measure stuff to the .0001" so these calipers make my soul cry).

View attachment 321149
View attachment 321160

Great post Rob!

I'm really looking forward to getting out past 50' and doing this again (with better calipers). Next time we'll each take turns with Rob's rifle and then with mine (GM barrel installed) so we can figure out if the issues with Rob's gun are shooter-related :D

For anyone considering getting into the 10/22, I highly recommend it. Hard for me to believe, but this is the most fun I've had shooting in a long time. I can see this eventually leading to a long range 700 platform rifle (my wallet is terrified).

Great post Rob!

I'm really looking forward to getting out past 50' and doing this again (with better calipers). Next time we'll each take turns with Rob's rifle and then with mine (GM barrel installed) so we can figure out if the issues with Rob's gun are shooter-related :D

For anyone considering getting into the 10/22, I highly recommend it. Hard for me to believe, but this is the most fun I've had shooting in a long time. I can see this eventually leading to a long range 700 platform rifle (my wallet is terrified).

So Joe, you guys shot at 50 feet (50' as noted above). How many shots per group? Looks like fun. Good luck with your apple seed shooting too...

Though I plan on getting something better, I picked up a Ruger BX trigger on sale for $40 at Bi-Mart (half of retail and $20 cheaper than anywhere else). At this point and for that price it's well worth adding another trigger to the pile of parts @Weebs and I have to compare. I plan on sending my factory trigger to Brimstone for their Tier 3 job.

Installed the trigger last night, a simple job consisting of loosening the takedown screw and drifting a couple pins. My initial impression is that the trigger is much lighter and the reset is more pronounced, though I'm not sure the reset travel was reduced much. Comparing the over travel between stock and the BX, I could find zero difference whatsoever (both about 1/4"). Overall I'm happy with the purchase at $40, but I'd be disappointed if I paid any more than that.

I still haven't had a chance to shoot the gun with the BX trigger, but with it installed I now had my stock trigger in hand. My original plan was to send it off to Brimstone for their $39 Tier 3 package and see how that compared to:

1) My Ruger BX
2) @Weebs' OEM Trigger
3) @Weebs' Kidd Stage 2 Trigger

A third friend of ours @Veno is likely going with the Brimstone Tier 3, so in the spirit of having yet another trigger to try out, I opted for the Brimstone Tier 1. Just put it in the mail today :)

Umm hold up.

I believe my rifle has changed a bit since then. Jerk. Give it its due!!!

That being said we'll do a full work up. I have real calipers

Post some pictures or it didn't happen. My eyes are tired from all this reading. Put those good calipers to good use and measure some groups fired from 50 yards too.... I figured at least one of you guys would have went with a Volquartsen target hammer instead of messing with that BX trigger hogwash...:oops:

Post some pictures or it didn't happen. My eyes are tired from all this reading. Put those good calipers to good use and measure some groups fired from 50 yards too.... I figured at least one of you guys would have went with a Volquartsen target hammer instead of messing with that BX trigger hogwash...:oops:

I almost did but Bi-Mart had the BX on sale for $40! One of us will get curious enough to try out the Volquartsen stuff, once we can afford it.

I agree, @Weebs needs to post pics.

I almost did but Bi-Mart had the BX on sale for $40! One of us will get curious enough to try out the Volquartsen stuff, once we can afford it.

I have a Volquartsen trigger on a Ruger MKIII Target - it's a fantastic trigger. I assume it would be the same on a 10/22. Never tried a BX though, so I can't compare the two.

I have a Volquartsen trigger on a Ruger MKIII Target - it's a fantastic trigger. I assume it would be the same on a 10/22. Never tried a BX though, so I can't compare the two.

You'll have to come out with us on one of our comparison days ;)

I did the basic Volquartsen taget hammer upgrade. I believe it only cost $38.00 on ebay, at the time I bought it. What a heck of a difference it made. I really like that trigger now. This is on a target model, but it made all the difference in the world. I have it set to 2 pounds on the nose and it is extremely consistent and smooth. I've checked out the bx triggers too. They seem to be a little upgrade from factory, but only a little bit better from what I could tell...

Edit to add Ebay listing. No affiliation:

VOLQUARTSEN Ruger 10/22 22LR 22M TARGET HAMMER KIT VC10TH *FAST SHIP*!! | eBay

After upgrading to this hammer kit, and trying different ammo in my rifle, this is what I settled on:

Eley target and SK standard plus work well in this 10-22:
IMG_0741_zpsrssudtq5.jpg

When the weather gets better, I'll be doing some more tests..... Now I have a couple bricks of both Eley and SK standard plus. We'll see which one it really likes after more trigger time...

Last Edited:
Those 10/22s look nice.......

I gave up and got a bolt 10/22.........

It pairs up nice with the can I have............and also takes the BX25 mags........

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top