JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As some of you read in this thread, I attended a Project Appleseed event last month with my AR15. Spending a weekend getting to know my AR great in that I needed the experience with the platform, but part of me wished I had a .22 like most of the other guys so I could focus on the training. Since then I've been looking for a 10/22 to affordably work on the principles we were taught in the class and take to the next Appleseed event I attend. I've also believed for a long time that a 10/22 is one of those guns everyone should own (along with the AR15, Glock 19, and Remington 870 :s0030:).

My plans at this point are more or less the same as most of the 10/22 builds I see; a reliable rifle accurate from a bench or prone and portable enough that I can take it hiking or hunting if need be. I understand these jack-of-all-trades type builds might not master any one thing, but I think that's fine for my first 10/22 build.

After the class I told my buddy about my plans for a 10/22, who immediately went out and bought one, along with a Tac-Sol barrel, the X-22 stock, and various Kidd goodies. After shooting his my itch grew stronger, as they do. Despite wanting a blued receiver, I purchased this stainless model when it popped up the other day. As a bonus this one already had the Magpul X-22 stock I wanted, the Magpul M-LOK QD sling adapter, and a 16" fluted bull barrel from Green Mountain. My plan was to go with a threaded Kidd lightweight or Ultra Lightweight, as I eventually want to suppress this, but this should do just fine for now. Something tells me this won't be my only 10/22 :D

Part List

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 Stainless
Barrel: Green Mountain 16.5" Blue Fluted Sporter
Trigger: Ruger BX
Stock: Magpul Hunter X-22
Scope: Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12x40 (AO)
Rings: Leupold Rifleman Matte Medium
Bi-Pod: Ohuhu 6-Inch to 9-Inch Adjustable
Other: Magpul M-LOK QD Sling Attachment
Other: Magpul M-LOK Bipod Mount
Other: TacSol Magazine Release

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

Last Edited:
Is that Magpul stock heavier than the factory 10/22 stock?

Funny thing about a 10/22 is when you get done modding it, you can put all the original parts back together and have that second 10/22

Sunday I ordered the Magpul bipod mount and a cheap Chinese bi-pod that got decent reviews. I'm hoping to find a deal on a Harris during the Black Friday sales.

I don't know much about scopes, but I have two Vortex Crossfire 2 scopes which I think might work for this, one 4-12x40 and one 4-12x50. I've also been looking at some of the Leupold lightweight scopes. I can't believe all the different mounting options! I've heard a set of $12 Weaver rings on the factory Weaver rail is all I need but I need to confirm.

If one of those scopes will work for it I should be able to pick up a set of rings and hit the range after work this Friday :D

Is that Magpul stock heavier than the factory 10/22 stock?

Good question! I've been trying to find the weight of the factory stock but mostly found a bunch of dead links. From what little I've found it seems the X-22 and the factory stocks are in the same ballpark (around 2.5lbs).

Funny thing about a 10/22 is when you get done modding it, you can put all the original parts back together and have that second 10/22

Heh yep, the buddy I mentioned offered to put his 10/22 back to stock, sell it to me, then just buy the Kidd receiver (he already has their trigger group and bolt). I actually ran the numbers to see if I'd be better off just buying a Kidd receiver, but man does all of that add up fast! I can't afford to drop all of that cash at once, so this will be a slow build.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is taking our guns out and comparing the different components side-by-side. TacSol barrel vs Green Mountain, Kidd trigger vs stock, affects of the aftermarket bolt, etc. Since he has the Kidd trigger I might have my trigger done at Brimstone, just for the fun of comparison.

Looks like a good plan. Sounds like your buddy is definitely on the right track and you're playing catch up!

I'd really like to see you put a nice L&S lightweight scope on there...

Looks like a good plan. Sounds like your buddy is definitely on the right track and you're playing catch up!

I'd really like to see you put a nice L&S lightweight scope on there...

:s0114::s0114::s0114:

For reference, @Weebs is the aforementioned buddy :s0005:

Where's your build thread?? :D

I have a bone-stock black/synthetic 10/22 with a 25yr. old bushnell 3-9x scope on it, and it will easily shoot dime sized groups all day long if you do your part. I usually plink at plastic bottle caps set on edge, and seed "pods" on the ends of the blades of tall grass if not just @ the blades themselves. ;)

I have a bone-stock black/synthetic 10/22 with a 25yr. old bushnell 3-9x scope on it, and it will easily shoot dime sized groups all day long if you do your part. I usually plink at plastic bottle caps set on edge, and seed "pods" on the ends of the blades of tall grass if not just @ the blades themselves. ;)

When we head to the range Friday we're going to bring @Weebs' stock barrel so we can swap them out and compare :)

Just got back from Cabela's, grabbed some Leupold scope rings to get the x40 Vortex mounted up. No idea if I did it correctly :s0114:

Apologies for the terrible photo. Bipod and mount will be here tomorrow!

IMG_4338.JPG

Got the bi-pod mounted up yesterday. My entire living room smelled like China (aka Harbor Freight) for a good hour after opening the small package :s0118:

I think it'll do fine for range work, but I certainly wouldn't take it anywhere I had to rely on it. Overall I'm happy with it for $16, but I am waiting on a good Harris deal.

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

Sweet build, I bet you really enjoy it.

I couldn't tell you how many 10/22's I've owned but it's a fair number. I currently have 4 + a takedown Charger and made a deal to buy one of the new factory takedown ultralights just yesterday.

So funny thing, with my six 10/22 based guns no two are really suited for the same job ;-)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top