JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interview with President of CZ

Colt has been operating like some sort of a weird 'members only' club for a long time.

They make a few guns of this and that model, sell them through distributors then onto dealers who sell them online for much higher than MSRP. Seems like maybe the few skilled employees left were 'calling the shots'.

I watched a video last night (from Colt) about the new Python. All I saw was them trying to 'backpedal' about the reported problems and then a rep reported on how 'some ' owners may have loose side plate screws on their Python and that will cause the failure of the cylinder to turn issue because, (and I quote) 'Because the side plate supports the hand that turns they cylinder' (they showed a close up of this)

The side plate 'supports' the hand?? A close up video showed this and it was almost hard to watch. The hand is a loose part that requires the side plate to be secure so it functions properly? And then he stated 'They would be using some 'Threadlocker' to secure the sideplate screws to prevent this'

Threadlocker on a $1500 + gun??

Yes, I hope CZ resurrects Colt.

It is called unions and they almost killed Colt numerous times.

I have a lot of disdain for the fact that almost all of the iconic American brands have been absorbed by foreign concerns. Browning and Winchester by FN , then this ... Remington ran themselves into insolvency ... It makes me sad that Made in America is no longer a thing even with guns for the most part. Ruger is the last man standing so to speak in many respects .

Explain "fudd nostalgia". Does owning a Colt make you a fudd?
Lusting over the name and of times past when Colt actually made quality firearms. You know, "The Good ole days" of 10.5 pound, 5.5 moa M14's and 7 rounds of 45AARP in your leather holstered 1911. The arrogant adherence to the fallacy that if its not made by Colt, its not a true AR-15 or a true 1911, As if different and subjectively better manufacturer don't exist. Sure, 30 years ago buying a Colt might have meant something, same with Bushmaster. To each his own- I whole heartedly agree...but if you're buying something despite the piss poor quality, don't be surprised that you allow will continue. The reason why Colt started putting out garbage is because they knew people would see the name and buy it, until they didn't. Then they cut civilian sales and wondered why they went bankrupt. Why pay for QC when most people aren't going to shoot the gun enough to find a failure, hell they barely shoot it or carry it enough to wear the finish. They'll shoot a box every six months and swear Colt is still the holy grail of manufacturers. dztto54441wy.png

Lusting over the name and of times past when Colt actually made quality firearms. You know, "The Good ole days" of 10.5 pound, 5.5 moa M14's and 7 rounds of 45AARP in your leather holstered 1911. The arrogant adherence to the fallacy that if its not made by Colt, its not a true AR-15 or a true 1911, As if different and subjectively better manufacturer don't exist. Sure, 30 years ago buying a Colt might have meant something, same with Bushmaster. To each his own- I whole heartedly agree...but if you're buying something despite the piss poor quality, don't be surprised that you allow will continue. The reason why Colt started putting out garbage is because they knew people would see the name and buy it, until they didn't. Then they cut civilian sales and wondered why they went bankrupt. Why pay for QC when most people aren't going to shoot the gun enough to find a failure, hell they barely shoot it or carry it enough to wear the finish. They'll shoot a box every six months and swear Colt is still the holy grail of manufacturers.View attachment 827598

I always thought of "fudd" as someone who owns guns, but doesn't support the 2A right for people to own guns they don't approve of. Like Zumbo and his attitude toward AR15s.

I will preface this by saying I do own Colt products, two of them are brand new (two series 70 1911s). They are my favorite because they have the look I prefer (blued with wood grips). I also own a nice Browning Hi-Power that also has the same look.

That said, my Colt guns (1911s and an AR) run great and are accurate. However, I do own other brands of the same gun that also run great and are accurate. Especially my Aero lower with knock-off Colt-like roll mark! Yeah, I bought it because it looks like a Colt! But it was way cheaper and runs like a champ.

Most new Colt buyers i know were really only buying them for their name. Had nothing to do with the quality or lack there of... of the products they've been putting out for quite a few years. Too me the only good Colts are Pre-1980's.... Colt's quality took a turn for the worse during the 80's union strike when they had scabs working the production line and eventually sold the company to private investors. The following years had nothing but turmoil, quality issues, recalls, lots of leadership changes, almost went bankrupt, etc... Really hasn't been the same since. Hopefully CZ can make it a great company again with quality products.

Most new Colt buyers i know were really only buying them for their name. Had nothing to do with the quality or lack there of... of the products they've been putting out for quite a few years. Too me the only good Colts are Pre-1980's.... Colt's quality took a turn for the worse during the 80's union strike when they had scabs working the production line and eventually sold the company to private investors. The following years had nothing but turmoil, quality issues, recalls, lots of leadership changes, almost went bankrupt, etc... Really hasn't been the same since. Hopefully CZ can make it a great company again with quality products.
This is why I didn't buy a 6920 when a friend's gun shop had them on sale at a great price. It's also why I might buy one, or some components, later.

From today's Cornell Publications newsletter;

:
A Czech gun maker announced an agreement to acquire the parent company of Colts Manufacturing, the iconic brand based in West Hartford whose revolver "won the West" in American lore.

Česká Zbrojovka Group SE indicated plans to pay $220 million in cash and 1.1 million shares of its stock for Colt Holding Company LLC, with possible additional shares depending on Colt's future profitability.. The combined company would have $500 million in annual revenue and "presents a real small arms powerhouse," in the words of CZG's chairman Lubomír Kovařík in a company press release.

The deal would be subject to U.S. regulators."

Maybe they will call them CZolts?

I am looking forward (perhaps dreaming is a better word) to CZ making a high quality, no-frills 1911 to get into in the 700-800 dollar range! Something like a Rock Island GI but with better sights and slightly higher grade internal parts!

I am looking forward (perhaps dreaming is a better word) to CZ making a high quality, no-frills 1911
They already did -once - in 2015 and discontinued it shortly thereafter.

Saw one once - excellent fit and finish. Very smooth operating.

Technically they still DO make 1911s - just branded DW.

Colt no longer a USA owned company....
:(
Well, look at what USA (mis)management has done to Colt. They have beem circling the drain for decades, and except for the official bailout (were the gov contracts a backdoor bailout?), becoming the GM of the firearms industry. But, CZ/DanWesson make high-end 1911s and so does Colt. Will be interesting.

I am dreaming of a CZ "Colt" 1911 that does not break the bank!
If ya think about it does it REALLY matter whose name is on a 1911?

Other than the 'last name', high end brands what really differentiates say a S & W made 1911, or a Ruger, Remington, Springfield - or a CZ etc. ?

OK, it is often said Colt uses only forgings for frames and slides and no MIM and that is great but take S & W for instance - a friend of mine bought a new one a few years ago and it was literally one of the nicest 1911s I had ever seen and shot. Its accuracy was unbelievable - 50 yard 6" steel was not difficult and it was a couple $100 below a 'Low End' Colt.

My point is there are some 1911s where the mfgs. have 'cut the corners' to make a price point but when it comes to the middle ground of 1911s why exactly is Colt looked at as the 'Benchmark' of 1911s ? - Like I have as I have owned 6.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top