JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did not see another post like this on the Forum so I apologize if I am repeating. I recently purchased a used Ruger 10/22 Target model (Serial 252-XXXXX) that looks like it was manufactured in 2002. It has a laminate stock and the older silver aluminum trigger group.

I attempted to field strip the rifle this morning to give my new toy a good cleaning and I'll be damned if the receiver would not separate from the laminate stock. There is no barrel band on the Target models so the only thing holding the rifle together is the takedown screw. I loosened the takedown screw all the way out, positioned the cross bolt safety in the middle and still could not get the two pieces to separate. They are really welded together good too.

I am looking for some advice from the forum members. Does anyone have an idea or a trick they could pass along? If you have had this issue with separating a rifle and its receiver before, how did you fix it?

This little problem would also explain why the action is so dirty (and probably why I got it so cheap). The previous owner could not take the rifle apart to clean it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

There is a shelf in the stock of all 10-22s that slides into a groove on the receiver and trigger pack as it is seated at the rear tang portion.

This can be very tight on some stocks and less tight on others.

The receiver needs to travel forward of the stock as it is lifted upwards. Lifting only upward will not work so well on a tight stock.

Perhaps a friendly tap from a mallet on the front of the stock rearward as you are pulling up and forward with the barreled action will assist.

Last Edited:
Picture of area in reference.

FEE19A36-D4E9-4964-BAB4-528AE4FE03E3.jpeg

I did not see another post like this on the Forum so I apologize if I am repeating. I recently purchased a used Ruger 10/22 Target model (Serial 252-XXXXX) that looks like it was manufactured in 2002. It has a laminate stock and the older silver aluminum trigger group.

I attempted to field strip the rifle this morning to give my new toy a good cleaning and I'll be damned if the receiver would not separate from the laminate stock. There is no barrel band on the Target models so the only thing holding the rifle together is the takedown screw. I loosened the takedown screw all the way out, positioned the cross bolt safety in the middle and still could not get the two pieces to separate. They are really welded together good too.

I am looking for some advice from the forum members. Does anyone have an idea or a trick they could pass along? If you have had this issue with separating a rifle and its receiver before, how did you fix it?

This little problem would also explain why the action is so dirty (and probably why I got it so cheap). The previous owner could not take the rifle apart to clean it.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Welded? Figuratively?

Do have a vice and a soft hammer?

Hi, Thank you for the information. This is my fourth 10/22 and I have never experienced this problem with my other three rifles. The receivers on my other rifles will practically fall out of the stock once you loosen the take down screw.

No, the two assemblies are not really welded together, just a really tight fit/swollen stock I guess.

I do have a soft blow rubber mallet. I just did not want to have to hit my rifle with it if there was a trick to use that I did not know about. But I will try to tap the receiver forward a little to see if I can get it to budge out of the stock. Will let you know if I am able to get them apart.

Thanks again.

I understand. You can protect your parts from damage by placing a few layers a card stock or electrical tape on the area(s) you want to tap. It's what I do for drifting pistol sights to protect slides and sights, also it's good for areas around roll pin holes too.

In addition to the excellent information above, The safety on mine tends to hang up the strip for me. Just a matter of holding your mouth just right.

Thank you for all the good advice everyone. I did not want to damage the rifle so I ended up taking it to my local gunsmith. After closer examination it looks like the previous owner used epoxy around the back of the receiver and glued the action to the stock. I kid you not. Any idea why someone would want to do that to a 10/22.....any rifle? The smith is going to do what he can to separate the stock from the receiver without destroying them. If he can get it apart, I will probably need to use my Dremel to make some minor adjustments. Or I might be looking for a new stock for this rifle.

Thank you for all the good advice everyone. I did not want to damage the rifle so I ended up taking it to my local gunsmith. After closer examination it looks like the previous owner used epoxy around the back of the receiver and glued the action to the stock. I kid you not. Any idea why someone would want to do that to a 10/22.....any rifle? The smith is going to do what he can to separate the stock from the receiver without destroying them. If he can get it apart, I will probably need to use my Dremel to make some minor adjustments. Or I might be looking for a new stock for this rifle.
I bet it was to attempt to make the action more ridged. There are kits that you can buy to make the rear tang a screwed in tang. Meant to make the action more stable for better precision.

I suppose this might have been the ghetto version.

upload_2019-4-24_18-32-15.jpeg
upload_2019-4-24_18-32-38.jpeg

Email Ruger. Tell them the story. They might be cool and send you a factory replacement.

If not I'm sure something from Boyd's might be suitable. That or the hundreds of other aftermarket stocks for the 10-22.

Another idea, if you have a chest type freezer, you might try sticking the whole rifle in there. The metal will shrink faster/more than the stock, might be just enough to pop it loose. Good luck!

Dave

More great suggestions all. I left the rifle at the gunsmiths tonight and asked that they call me once they have a chance to look at it to let me know what they think. I may just email them tonight or call tomorrow morning to offer the tips you all have suggested. I will post to let you all know the outcome and will try and supply some pictures. Thanks again!

I bet it was to attempt to make the action more ridged. There are kits that you can buy to make the rear tang a screwed in tang. Meant to make the action more stable for better precision.

I suppose this might have been the ghetto version.

View attachment 573177
View attachment 573178

Email Ruger. Tell them the story. They might be cool and send you a factory replacement.

If not I'm sure something from Boyd's might be suitable. That or the hundreds of other aftermarket stocks for the 10-22.
That would make sense as there is no barrel band and only the take down screw holding the receiver to the stock on the Target models.

The smith called and said that they were able to get the rifle and action separated. The gentleman I spoke to did not have any further info for me other than to come pick it up tonight. So I am curious as to what they actually had to do to get it apart. Hopefully they did not damage the stock or action. Will post again tonight or tomorrow after I pick up the rifle to let you know what happened and put up some pictures. Carry on.
:s0042:

When and action/barrel is stuck in the bedding. I place the whole thing in the freezer overnight.
Dead blow rubber mallet will have it coming apart in no time :)

That was going to be my suggestion as well, but it looks like you and Dave had it under control. Sounds like the OP's smith took care of it for him. I sometimes worry that someone is going to buy a rifle from me and not heed the warning that it is bedded nice and tight and think it is actually glued to the stock. You'll find that out when you start working on my BSA....:p
:s0133:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads