JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey just bought 2 10/22's and i am having a hell of a time getting the factory plug screws out of receiver so i can mount a scope plate? anybody help close by? im in hillsboro?

thanks in advance.

The screws go all the way through the receiver. So if backing them out is not working, you could always screw them inward until the pop out the other side. Should help with all but the one above the barrel.

Of coarse you'll want to do this with the gun out of the stock and the trigger housing and bolt removed.

Those screws are often slot heads.
It helps immeasurably to be using the correct size, gunsmith-type, hollow ground screwdriver.
On these, the sides of the blade are cut straight so that they get full purchase on the screw slot.

A hardware store flat bladed screwdriver has sides that are cut on a taper.
Oftentimes death or boogered screws using this type of screwdriver on a firearm.
Once those receiver screws are boogered, it's a trip to the gunsmith.

If you have a screwdriver that accepts "bits" you can get just the hollow ground bit.
On several occasions I have fabbed my own screwdriver tips to fit various screws.

Those screws are often slot heads.
It helps immeasurably to be using the correct size, gunsmith-type, hollow ground screwdriver.
On these, the sides of the blade are cut straight so that they get full purchase on the screw slot.

A hardware store flat bladed screwdriver has sides that are cut on a taper.
Oftentimes death or boogered screws using this type of screwdriver on a firearm.
Once those receiver screws are boogered, it's a trip to the gunsmith.

If you have a screwdriver that accepts "bits" you can get just the hollow ground bit.
On several occasions I have fabbed my own screwdriver tips to fit various screws.
the FAT tool has hollow ground tips
I recommend a torque wrench if your mounting a scope anyway

ok thanks ill check it out. i have a set of precision bits for computers and such i tried and fromwhat i researched was a #3. but dan its tuff. ill try theFAT

the FAT tool has hollow ground tips
I recommend a torque wrench if your mounting a scope anyway
The Husky brand torque screwdriver at Home Depot is a surprisingly nice tool.
Has heft and is well built.
I think it's better than a lot of the stuff I saw on line.
About $50

Last Edited:
also ordered some hollow ground bits see if that and heat well do the trick. Shouldnt be that hard, i just slipped a couple times and know if i messed it up too much it gonna be expensive to get out

Thank you all!!

I prefer tube fed bolt action .22"s, don't eat ammo quite as fast and feeding a tube is easier than stuffing magazines!!
a Ruger 10/22 only eats ammo as fast as you pull the trigger
trigger control saves ammo
and I have a Rem bolt action, I don't find feeding the tube any faster than loading 10/22 rotary mags
but I've been loading 10/22 mags since 1977

I prefer tube fed bolt action .22"s, don't eat ammo quite as fast and feeding a tube is easier than stuffing magazines!!
multiple-choice-all-above-options-test-quiz-uncertainty-gues-words-touch-screen-wall-man-selec...jpg

a Ruger 10/22 only eats ammo as fast as you pull the trigger
trigger control saves ammo
and I have a Rem bolt action, I don't find feeding the tube any faster than loading 10/22 rotary mags
but I've been loading 10/22 mags since 1977
I have been dropping bullets in the tube of this old remmy since "66"
and I can do it faster than loading any other mag. just personal experience.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top