JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taurus? I've had great luck with Taurus firearms.

BUT:

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

Now me - I'm not a hater. I don't "hate" Sigs.

Despite that fact that every Sig I've owned had to be sent back for warranty work and that they cost twice as much as other brands in the same form factor and that their customer service is horrible and that ......

Well, imagine that ... maybe I do hate Sigs. ;)

So, my Taurus PT-1911 is locked up. I don't know what happened. Fired first round of magazine then slide locked with a live round not quite in battery. It also has an issue with hammer follow that I would love to get fixed. Anyone recommend a smith that would be willing to work on this in this condition? Or should I just toss it into the deep part of the Columbia River and save up for a decent 1911? It would've too bad, since I actually like the pistol, it WAS reliable for a number of years, and hasn't been shot all that much. But if it would cost as much as a new Ruger 1911 to fix it, you know which way I would go. Thanks for any positive comments.
Yes, they were handloads, but the same handloads ran fine in my CZ 97B. Not hot, Wolf 230 gr FMJ, 6.0 gr CFE-Pistol, S&B once fired brass.
Not to be a di*k, but friends don't let friends buy Taurus. Ask me how I know!

Hey, I'm curious, did you get your 1911 problem fixed?
If yes, what was the final prognosis...did the 1911 take a swim?
Hopefully you were able to get it cleared and were able to determine what the cause was e.g. bulged case, link not aligned, etc
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately (at your expense) it was a good read and an interesting dilemma.

Hey, I'm curious, did you get your 1911 problem fixed?
If yes, what was the final prognosis...did the 1911 take a swim?
Hopefully you were able to get it cleared and were able to determine what the cause was e.g. bulged case, link not aligned, etc
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately (at your expense) it was a good read and an interesting dilemma.
Update: it turned out to be a fired case. Sent it back to Taurus, with a description of the issues. They replaced the hammer assembly, sear and sear spring. Test fired it successfully with 16 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ ammo. The hammer follow was definitely fixed, and I fired 5 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ through each of the factory mags, no problem. Then I loaded 8 rounds of factory Mag-Tech 230 gr FMJ ammo and it locked up solid on the second round, just like before. :mad:I brought it home, my son beat it open again. Took it out to the range a second time, ran two full mags of Winchester 230 gr FMJ without a hitch. So, I guess I am limited to that particular ammo. Very frustrating. On the bright side, my new RIA Rock Ultra FS has run everything I have tried in it, including 230 gr FMJ handloads with Titegroup, Bullseye and CFE Pistol, 185 gr JHP handloads with Unique, and factory Mag-Tech 230 gr FMJ and factory 230 gr JHP from Ammo, Inc. and Remington.
Would still like to figure out why the PT-1911 will only function with Winchester ammo. My son thinks the locking lugs are too short on the barrel and jamming on the frame. A new barrel needed, perhaps?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top