JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently sold the G17 I had owned for about 3 years, and replaced it with a G34. I've only put about 150rds through the G34 so far, and while it's better than the G17 (especially the trigger), I still don't like it, and I still don't shoot it very well.

The only other polymer hi-cap 9mm I've owned was a PX4 beretta, and while I liked it better than a glock, it wasn't good enough to justify the high cost of extra mags for it.

I've been looking online at various handguns that are similar to glocks, and the only one that seems comparable to a G34 is the M&P9. I don't like the look or feel of XDs. EAA and CZ makes some nice looking pistols, and I haven't read anything bad about them as far as reliability or accuracy goes, but they're heavy, and I haven't handled one yet to know if I'd like one or not.

Here's what I want in a pistol and the reasons I bought another glock and am having doubts that there's not really anything out there that will be a significant improvement:
-9mm (not interested in any other calibers)
-needs to be as reliable as a pistol can possibly be
-hi-capacity (15rds or more)
-full size (and the longer the barrel the better)
-reasonably lightweight (steel frames are likely out)
-fairly resistant to bad weather (will be used for both SD and as an occasional backpacking gun)
-easy to strip/clean
-a rail for lights/lasers
-reasonably priced mags
-simple/easy to operate (I hate manual safeties and decockers)
-decent trigger pull (and would prefer it to come that way from the factory rather than having to install an aftermarket one)
-good ergonomics, something that points well and is easy to shoot (that's the only thing I don't like about glocks....well, that and the fact that they're butt ugly and foreign made/owned)

So, is there any other guns that meet all (or at least most) of those criteria that is better than or comparable to a glock?

"better than" a Glock gets into a realm of personal preference.

The truth is, XD, M&P, Glock... they'll generally be superbly reliable, parts are available for all, (though more accessories for the Glock)

Whatever feels best in your hand, suits your CCW needs, and won't annoy you out of carrying it when you need it is the "better" gun... I've got big, long-boned hands, and no matter how I try, I always end up lining the slide of the Glock up with the first joint of my thumb (the bone, not the skin)

I went with the M&P with no safety, and no mag safety. The large palm swell fills that empty space where my hand can't compress enough to grip the tiny guns.

SW M&P 4.25" 9 17R Without the internal lock and magazine disconnect is the only that I could dig up that has all your criteria. Oh, and that version also can come with Lumi sights. with a rail.

I carry and rotate the glock 27 and s&w m&p 40c, and a m&p 360 scandium. The one that feels the best, is the m&p 40c, the new gen 4 fits better now due to my smaller mitts. I have had others shot the s&w and love the way it feels and shoots, even if they have a preference for other firearms. When carrying, its just a different feel that I can't explain. Great sometimes, others I would rather carry the glock, with the same feeling.

I also love the xdm 45 Bitone I have, but it's a brick tucked in. For when out in the woods, and fishing. I love it. I just hope that I never have to be one handed and/or very weak, one more worry...do I have a good enough grip to fire it. You need to make sure you have a great grip (major plus & major minus in my book). It's a dream to shoot at the range!! I want the new compact in 45 for my waders. lol

The only other polymer hi-cap 9mm I've owned was a PX4 beretta, and while I liked it better than a glock, it wasn't good enough to justify the high cost of extra mags for it.

Wow, you screwed up on that one.

First, a growing number of people like the PX-4 out of all of the polymers on the market. It started off kind of slow in 2007 with just the F models in 9mm and .40, but now there are G, D, C, compact and stainless models out for it as well as a .45ACP model.

And if one ever becomes a Beretta owner, one has to become aware of a company called MDS. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Beretta Group. They make contract mags discounted for not having the Beretta name on them to lower their bulk cost. They make the same quality mags as the "P.B.' marked mags, but you get them for anywhere to a third to one half off the $40.00 MSRP for a factory mag. Every Beretta I own has two to five of these magazines for it and I don't have to mark them for any performance differences.

Mec-Gar also makes world class magazines for the platform, using anti-friction coated tubes. These can also be had for a third less than a P.B. marked factory mag.

Should have stuck with the PX4. Either convert a F into a G for no manual safety or get a Constant Action model.

BRXF9C21_1__01957_zoom.jpg

It's hard to beat a g17. I have a beretta 92 as well but it's more picky with ammo than the glock. However, in the .40 S&W (g22) i like the older ruger p series more than the glock. Maybe it has to do with weight more than anything else. The G22 is the same exact frame as the G17 and it doesn't lend well to the snap of the .40.

Thanks for the replies.

I can't remember what PX4 I had but it seems like it was one with a manual safety.

All the walthers I've shot/handled had great ergonomics, but mags are expensive, and I've read bad things about them since S&W took over.

I haven't shot or handled any HKs, but it would have to shoot/feel absolutely amazing to justify what they cost.

Next gun show I go to, I'll make an effort to fondle a bunch of different guns and see if there's anything I like better.

Try a SR9 or a p series it has a manual safety but is still a nice pistola I could'nt bring myself to buy a glock for it lacked certain aesthetics and my beretta 92 is my baby but it's heavy for packing on hunting,hiking and CC

im a g23.29. 20. guy my self and no there is nothing out there any better than a glock except another glock and there equals ;) im sorry guys im just in love with there dependability kinda like a lab

Try a SR9 or a p series it has a manual safety but is still a nice pistola I could'nt bring myself to buy a glock for it lacked certain aesthetics and my beretta 92 is my baby but it's heavy for packing on hunting,hiking and CC

I actually bought the sr9 when it first came out. It's similar but the glock is better than the sr9 in terms in trigger pull and reliability. I love the dependability of the glock and over time the looks grew in me too.

im a g23.29. 20. guy my self and no there is nothing out there any better than a glock except another glock and there equals im sorry guys im just in love with there dependability kinda like a lab

My lab jumps my six foot fence, knocks over my garbage and makes a huge mess with whatever he finds inside. Or he drags it back over the fence and buries it (halfway) in one of his 50 or so holes.

XDM hands down. I own a xdm 3.8 compact, but i used to own a px4 sub compact and ive shot a glock too and hands down the xdm is the easiest to shoot, more accurate and just all around a great gun i love mine; out of all the guns ive had i won't be getting rid of my xdm.

I would suggest you trim your list of requirements some.

Finding a platform that fits your hand well the #1 priority. I'm not going to bash glocks, they go bang when you need them to. But it's probably the very last gun I would put in my holster. Just because it goes bang doesn't mean I hit my target.

Most platforms these days can be found in 9mm, so I doubt that will be a problem.

And reliability is more about you than the design. Don't mistake being designed assuming the user is incompetent to mean more reliable. If you can manage to perform basic maintenance like keeping the rails lubed, action clean and springs changed out when necessary, then 99% of pistols will be reliable. Everything else is fluff.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top