JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry. I was responding to your post #74, which was in response to the comment in post #53 about private ownership of ICBMs.

No, the check and balance system was to keep any one branch from becoming too powerful. The Executive branch is not a person. Neither are the legislative and judicial branches.

"Lieut. Col. Smith to Governor Gage Boston, April 22, 1775.

Sir, In obedience to your Excellency's commands, I marched on the evening of the 18th inst. with the corps of grenadiers and light infantry for Concord, to execute your Excellency's orders with respect to destroying all ammunition, artillery, tents, &c., collected there, which was effected, having knocked off the trunnions of three pieces of iron ordnance, some new gun carriages, a great number of carriage wheels burnt, a considerable quantity of flour, some gunpowder and musket balls, with other small articles thrown into the river. Notwithstanding we marched with the utmost expedition and secrecy, we found the country had intelligence or strong suspicion of our coming, and fired many signal guns, and rung the alarm bells repeatedly; and were informed, when at Concord, that some cannon had been taken out of the town that day, that others, with some stores, had been carried three days before. . . ."

"Privately owned merchant ships that, in wartime, were armed by their owners and licensed by the government to attack the maritime trade of the enemy, privateers profited by the sale of ships and cargoes they captured. As soon as word of the war arrived, ship owners in the port cities up and down the Atlantic coast raced to get their sleek sloops and schooners to sea in their new predatory role. They found cannon where they could, signed up oversized civilian crews, and sent messengers to Washington to get licenses called letters-of-marque from the federal government. On 26 June 1812, a week after Congress voted for war, it passed a bill allowing privateers, which President James Madison signed the next day."

Yup, and those Ships carried Letters of Marque, basically permission to destroy any English or other ships, set them a fire, or take them a prize! Most battles saw the victor increasing his own ships compliment of weapons, supplies, and anything else of value! The United States owned exactly 5 Frigates, Ships of the line, but we're bolstered by a factor of 10 through privately held Man-0-War, all operating with the governments blessings!
There were also hundreds of farms and plantations who owned, or at least held large field guns, some captured, some stolen others recovered from past battles, all turned against the English and used to great effect! This all continued right up through WW-II with letters of Marque, impressing privately owned ships and other sea craft into service as privateers in the service of the United States! To this day, though very rarely practiced, the U.S. can, at the pleasure of the sitting President, or his appointed representatives of the military, or congress, issue letters of Marque to civilians for use of any and all privately owned assets to be used in time of war or conflict! The most widely known and used are the "Security Contractors" employees in the middle east and in and around the Persian Gulf area to defend against pirates!
This is constitutionally legal, and is codified within those documents!

All of this is well researched and documented history, easy to suss out with the most basic of google-fu skillz!

Last Edited:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he's trying to reinvent the wheel or tweak an already existing binary trigger system. If somebody has some earth shattering invention that's going to change the game one would not come on a forum and start floating around what ifs and already have restrictions in mind. At this point I'm just going to file this guy under troll. If you have some earth shattering gadget, take it to the right people, secure your patents, and retain legal if need be or just ask a mod to close the thread.

:s0097:
I was going to guess making a binary setup out of the old auto Sears ….

If any one wanted to submit a request to the U.S. Gov, to be put on the list as a potential Privateer, there are actually forms you can download and fill out to submit for review! Upon your acceptance, and depending upon the type of Privateering you wish to partake, a team of representatives will meet with you to discuss matters and to inspect any "Equipment" you plan to use! Once you are approved, there will be Things and Stuff made available to you, including NFA restricted items with certain requirements waived along with fees, and taxes! Once any conflict begins, you will be contacted and given instructions on where to go for "Initial Supplying, chandlering, drayage, armaments', and any refitting required! After that, your mostly on your own for things like fuel, food, medical, and weapons/ammo!

MV5BMjAxODAzNzg0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTAwNDk0MjE@._V1_.jpg

If any one wanted to submit a request to the U.S. Gov, to be put on the list as a potential Privateer, there are actually forms you can download and fill out to submit for review! Upon your acceptance, and depending upon the type of Privateering you wish to partake, a team of representatives will meet with you to discuss matters and to inspect any "Equipment" you plan to use! Once you are approved, there will be Things and Stuff made available to you, including NFA restricted items with certain requirements waived along with fees, and taxes! Once any conflict begins, you will be contacted and given instructions on where to go for "Initial Supplying, chandlering, drayage, armaments', and any refitting required! After that, your mostly on your own for things like fuel, food, medical, and weapons/ammo!
Sounds like you are speaking from personal experience.

When you grow up a Navy Brat, all sorts of potentially useful info drifts past your rudders!
I have known of this for close to 45 years, I found it to be an interesting topic, so dove in head first!
45 years ago nobody was downloading any forms. Try again. :D

To be blunt and honest here....*

Full auto , does not make a firearm "more lethal" .
Many times in my combat deployments , I have been shot at with firearms that were full auto...be they rifles or crew served weapons.
In many cases , I resolved those issues with my shooting....as in accurate shooting of at times a single shot or a few well places ones.
I am here to tell the tale...they are not.
Full auto may the have potential for more hits...but not the guarantee of more hits.

Also saying that something is more lethal is , wrong.
Since one can only be dead...there are no degrees of dead...unless you are Wesley from The Princess Bride...LOL
You can't make someone more dead..

There is no difference in dead , if someone is killed with one of my antique flintlocks...or if they were killed with the latest issued Infantry rifle..
And spare me the arguments of select fire...and 30 + round magazines....
Again those are no guarantee of actual hits....and could just as easily mean faster and more misses.

Now none of the above is to say the we need arm our Infantry with 1795 model Muskets.....
I am just saying that :
Only hits count...
That full auto and 30 + rounds at hand....may only mean more chances to miss...
Dead is dead...one can't be more dead....

Also....
it don't make a whit of difference what firearm or firearm add- on is available....
The willingness to harm others is the difference....not the actual item.
Any item is not dangerous or deadly by itself...Just how a person uses it , may be...or may not be.

An actual AK47 , with a loaded magazine , and a chambered cartridge , selector lever placed on fire / auto....
And said AK47 then put on a table in a crowed room , is not dangerous or deadly....
The only thing it will do by itself....is rust....maybe.

What someone does when they pick it up is a whole other story.....
Since if they want to deadly or dangerous...they would be , no matter what they had a hold of.

*Based on my experiences...others of course will differ and disagree.
Andy

Last Edited:
Full auto , does not make a firearm "more lethal" .
Many times in my combat deployments , I have been shot at with firearms that were full auto...be they rifles or crew served weapons.
In many cases , I resolved those issues with my shooting....as in accurate shooting of at times a single shot or a few well places ones.
A couple of sayings I read somewhere, but can't remember when or where:

"Battles are won with well aimed semi-auto shots."

"May your enemy be on full auto."

A couple of sayings I read somewhere, but can't remember when or where:

"Battles are won with well aimed semi-auto shots."

"May your enemy be on full auto."
Training carries FAR more importance then the type of weapons carried!
Even up through WW-II, bolt action fighting rifles were quite common on the battle field, and training ( Arguably) made each man more lethal, you couldn't just "Spray and Pray" you had to take your time, and aim each shot. When I first started my training, our focus was on making each round count, we didn't carry very much ammo, and a re-supply was almost NEVER going to happen. When you are running high speed, low drag, accuracy and being efficient rule the day! Even with a select fire weapon, you have a finite amount of ammo with you, so, if you had to get stuck in, you had to be conservative with that ammo! My normal M-4 load out was 8 30 round mags, with a 20 rounder in the gun, plus my M-9 with 5 mags total, almost never carried hand grenades, and if I took my M-4/203, I would only add 8 frag grenades max! That's a LOT of weight to have to lug around, on top of your heavy med pack and other gear!
Keep in mind, we also deployed in 2 two man elements, and there was usually no one else unless you called it in, and that could take hours to get additional forces into your A.O. for help, it was usually the other way around, it was friendlies who were in great need, and it was the four of us that showed up!
If things were especially bad, we did carry a SAW onboard with 5 boxes of ammo, and almost always, that got passed off once we made contact with the friendlies! So, that made for Two SAW to add to the fight if needed, but we didn't especially like using them, we usually had our hands full doing what we came to do, and little of that was actual shooting!

Apart from costing more and taking longer, is the background check required for Class 3 guns any different - stricter on pass/fail criteria, or more thorough - from normal guns? Is there any other federal background check that could be used to vet a potential buyer, and if so, under what circumstances can it be used?
Same as a check for a pistol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top