JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm new to the CC world and looking for some advice. Currently, I own a DW Guardian (1911, 4.25" barrel w/ 8" overall length and 5.5" height) and am trying out a Silent Thunder IWB holster from Garrett.

No matter what I do to position this thing, I can't help but super obviously print...like I've got a third arm or something poking out. The best I've been able to do is use an extreme cant angle without the holster, which has proven that 5oClock works out okay.

The holster seems very nice - but it's not letting the gun sit low enough to force itself into my back or side and so it prints pretty badly. But, being new to this game, I'm not sure if my problem is necessarily the holster?

In all honesty, I'm planning to put ~200 rounds through the Guardian every week, possibly more, and will likely get a different (and smaller) gun to CC. But, in the meantime, if I wanted to make the Guardian work...Are my expectations on concealment just impossible?

Anyone here CC'ing a pistol like this or bigger and also happen to be athletically lazy in build (you know, the body type where you were in great shape 5 years ago but have since had a kid so it's starting to chubby up ;))...should I be looking at different holster styles or...?

Thanks for any advice,

I usually use GALECO holsters and wear a shirt size one larger. I use a simple Dickies belt and carry 5 - 6 o'clock. Though not a full size rider I stick to mostly anything G19 size or smaller (like a M&P Shield). A button up helps in the cooler days. Most I do is find the right fit angle and then tighten the belt and drape the button up over it. Avoiding tight clothing or short shirts obviously.

All I ever hear online is "the right belt and holster" which is never specified. Usually I just resort to picking the CC piece to the type of day environment I am going to be in. I don't mind changing my attire to help mask printing. Still I get a little from time to time but I've honestly stopped caring. Check youtube reviews for some pointers and ideas that fits around your lifestyle which may help.

Usually those new to CC'ing are really self conscious for like the first month then it just becomes a non issue tbh.

More knowledgeable people will reply, but from what little I know, it seems like your DW Guardian is anything but compact with a fairly long grip? Maybe a cross-draw AIWB would work? Also, what type of shirt/over garment are you wearing? A t-shirt probably ain't going to cut it. Like I said, I don't know much as I am new to shooting also.

I have one for my 4.25" and 5".
Milt Sparks VM2 at 4 o'clock is what you're looking for ;)
Very comfortable, and conceal well, once you find that sweet spot on your hip.

Last Edited:
More knowledgeable people will reply, but from what little I know, it seems like your DW Guardian is anything but compact with a fairly long grip? Maybe a cross-draw AIWB would work? Also, what type of shirt/over garment are you wearing? A t-shirt probably ain't going to cut it. Like I said, I don't know much as I am new to shooting also.

I was testing things out today with a polo and I'm fairly often wearing them. Button-ups are out of style for me unless paired with a vest, in which case they're tucked in and the idea of CC'ing with that set of clothes goes right out the window.

Is off the body carry out of the question?
Or is the man card too stout to play with the idea of a fanny pack? Or are you looking for more of a IWB option?

When Im doing yard work, far from home at the beach or river Ill CC in a fanny pack. Its quick easy and no one even realizes I have a full sized pistol and 1-2 spare mags in there.
In town CC I use smaller firearms now so Im no help there.

Is off the body carry out of the question?
Or is the man card too stout to play with the idea of a fanny pack? Or are you looking for more of a IWB option?

When Im doing yard work, far from home at the beach or river Ill CC in a fanny pack. Its quick easy and no one even realizes I have a full sized pistol and 1-2 spare mags in there.
In town CC I use smaller firearms now so Im no help there.
I carry around a messenger bag on most days. Either it's got my work stuff in it or a camera, so I guess that it's an option. That being said, the idea of having the weapon anywhere other than on my person doesn't appeal to me for both security's sake (if someone is going to mug me, they're going to go for the bag with the big shiny camera in it) and for safety's sake (I'm not willing to wind up as one of those parents whose kid got in their bag and killed someone).

CC definitely revolves around the attire, the handgun, the belt, and the holster.
Sounds like you have room to grow in all areas as you test everything ;)

What height, weight, and clothing sizes are you?
5'07" @ 170lbs. Wear a 32" waist but size up to 34" for comfort. Shirts are funky for me - anywhere from S to L depending the brand. I've got a short torso but 5'10" wingspan...which makes sizing...fun..yea...it's "fun"...

5'07" @ 170lbs. Wear a 32" waist but size up to 34" for comfort. Shirts are funky for me - anywhere from S to L depending the brand. I've got a short torso but 5'10" wingspan...which makes sizing...fun..yea...it's "fun"...

Yea size plays a big part in your CC...

I can carry a G17 or 1911 no problem but I'm 6'1" and 257lbs, shoulders bigger then gut.

Versacarry. It's IWB and I use it for my Kahr CW45. I also use it for my 1911 when I'm feeling randy. Usually under $20. BiMart carries them. They come in different lengths depending how high or deep you want it to ride on your belt.

I carry around a messenger bag on most days. Either it's got my work stuff in it or a camera, so I guess that it's an option. That being said, the idea of having the weapon anywhere other than on my person doesn't appeal to me for both security's sake (if someone is going to mug me, they're going to go for the bag with the big shiny camera in it) and for safety's sake (I'm not willing to wind up as one of those parents whose kid got in their bag and killed someone).
I hear ya. Ive been doing off the body carry for quite a while with my job.. so Ive got real used to keeping my bag within arms length or with me if I leave the truck for a long time as well as being hypersensitive about my surroundings and if someone could get into it. It makes it SO much easier to carry larger items though. As for the fanny pack carry.. short of it (for some) revoking the man card, its by far the easiest low profile, comfortable (short of a backpack or shoulder bag) off the body carry.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your set up and wearing it so we can see better what issues your having!
I'm like Joe13 6 foot, wide shoulders, but the Six pack turned into a keg! I can wear a full size 1911 double stack and be completely concealed and never print!

I also don't carry off body because of the risk of my kids getting into my man purse. They are always looking for candy, money for candy, my sunglasses to play with, etc. My policy is that my gun is either strapped to my body or it is locked up. I do not set it on the bed or the dresser, even for a second, because I might get distracted and leave it unattended with fatal consequences.

I also don't carry off body because of the risk of my kids getting into my man purse. They are always looking for candy, money for candy, my sunglasses to play with, etc. My policy is that my gun is either strapped to my body or it is locked up. I do not set it on the bed or the dresser, even for a second, because I might get distracted and leave it unattended with fatal consequences.
Totally understandable. Im without children so my situation is different. However if I was in your boat I too would do what it takes to keep curious hands away from a loaded firearm and go with on the body carry only. Good on ya.

Corey;
It'll take time and money to get comfortable.
Dress slacks are a little baggy, just right to conceal the gun
E4Mafia added to his shirt by one size, as did I. I wear hawiian shirts, un-tucked.
I get away with sz 38 waist to accentuate my figure, but 40 is more relaxing.
My belt is 1.75 inch wide to exploit the belt loops on 5.11 vaporlite shorts.
The 5.11 belt is rigid, supports the hardware.
The vaporlite shorts have a knife pocket, just right for a spare magazine.
My holster is Stealthgear Ventcore. Fits my Glock 27

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews