JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
For me the only comfortable way to carry is AIWB. I'm 5'10 and 185 Lbs. I wear standard jeans and a large carhartt shirts and flannel. Normally I carry a Glock G45 in a Trex Arms sidecar holster and an ares aegis belt. I've spent plenty of money on holsters and belts to find what's comfortable. It all takes time.

For many years I have carried a 1911A1 with the 5" Barrel. Using a Leather Pancake Holster worn at a 5 O'CLOCK position on a Bianchi 1-3/4" Gun Belt. Lots of Folks make a High Quality Pancake including Bianchi. I have a Roy Baker Pancake. I believe he designed the first one and it has served me well.

Proper sized shirts are a requirement.

What part of the gun is doing the printing? Is it the butt of the grip or does it seem like the whole gun sits too far off your body? I' not super familiar with your holster. Is it fairly thick or does it seem ok? How tight/loose is your shirt? Because you could maybe try a looser shirt/cover garment.

That holster is also fairly adjustable. I'm assuming you've adjusted the CANT and ride height and still can't get it to conceal very well? Have you tried repositioning it up to 3 o'clock to see if that helps at all?

Have you called Garett? They can probably offer some suggestions.

Alternatively, how do you feel about appendix carry. I've got a 5 inch Wilson CQB that I sometimes carry and it disappears at appendix with a JM Custom AIWB-WC holster. You could probably put your holster at appendix to kinda get a feel for things and see if you like it at all. But with a full size grip you may still get some printing without a wing and claw to help tuck the grip in. But at least you can get a rough idea of how it feels.

Also, what belt are you running? Is it a purpose made gun belt vs. a Walmart special or similar? Because a good stiff belt can really help sometimes.

My solution to a large gun on a small frame has been to secure a holster inside a pair of cargo pants. It's not a fast draw, but it never prints and nobody thinks the diff in your pants is a gun. Stands upright, never moves. For those days i want to carry my g20/21 over my G33/p365/xds

I carry just about everything inside the waistband at 4 o'clock with a polo shirt with a relaxed fit. All I carry is full sized guns. The only IWB holster I use is a Cascadia Concealment IWB. When dressed casually, I use a 5.11 trainer belt. When dressed in slacks, I use a Kramer leather gunbelt.

In the winter, I often switch to a Safariland 6378 paddle holster or Bravo Concealment OWB under a soft-shell jacket. In the winter, I always carry with a weapon light since Its dark all the time.

1DAA340D-12A5-4D24-AB3A-F457FEF82F66.jpeg

I have a 1791 leather holster for my 1911, carries low and conceals nicely, that said it took me buying 3 holsters to get the right combo. Trial and error and a box full of never again used holsters is the only way I've been able to make it work.

Agreed that a pic of your rig would help.

Most people won't notice.

Are you looking down when seeing this print or in the mirror?

What position you carrying it?

I kept noticing this too when starting to carry a larger pistol, I noticed it's really bad when I look down to see, once I started looking in a mirror and standing up straight is wasn't noticeable at all.

Properly posture will help
Maybe using a holster with some cant to it?

Use button up shirt with some kind of print.
I wear carhart plaid type design, and you can't see crap

Corey, I'm not much bigger than you 5' 9.5"ish at about 190 and I've carried a Colt Combat Commander with ease. You've already mentioned you upsize your pants for comfort, that perfect. You'll want your shirts an upsize as well to cover the butt of the gun.

Here's what's worked for me specifically, a Milt Sparks Nexus iwb, horsehide and steer. That rides on a 14oz steel reinforced Bigfoot Gunbelt. This combination, worn at about 3'oclock will disappear under a t-shirt, polo or button down one size up from my normal size, so XL rather than L... Here's the Colt
In the Nexus...

Be prepared to spend good money on a high quality holster and belt to carry that kinda weight... It'll be well worth it...

FF160254-9287-46F5-8D59-18B1CCD0B397.jpeg

Most people won't notice. You will know this is true the first time you go to get in your car and realize your shirt has ridden up your back and 150 people just saw YOU walk to your car and said nothing.

5'07" @ 170lbs. Wear a 32" waist but size up to 34" for comfort. Shirts are funky for me - anywhere from S to L depending the brand. I've got a short torso but 5'10" wingspan...which makes sizing...fun..yea...it's "fun"...
I am 5'11" , 165# with a 6'2" wingspan , so I understand the shirt size thing.

I wear a jacket for CC ( as well as keeping warm ) - This Colt Combat Commander is in a holster from Tracker Leather, on a vintage ( 1985 ) Ted Blocker belt.

k8gE9opl.jpg

I carry just about everything inside the waistband at 4 o'clock with a polo shirt with a relaxed fit. All I carry is full sized guns. The only IWB holster I use is a Cascadia Concealment IWB. When dressed casually, I use a 5.11 trainer belt. When dressed in slacks, I use a Kramer leather gunbelt.

In the winter, I often switch to a Safariland 6378 paddle holster or Bravo Concealment OWB under a soft-shell jacket. In the winter, I always carry with a weapon light since Its dark all the time.

View attachment 616176

+1 for Cascadia Concealment. I now carry a G19 because of his quality holsters. I'm 6'1" and 205 and no printing with jeans and a t-shirt.

It's all in the holster IMHO.

Most people won't notice. You will know this is true the first time you go to get in your car and realize your shirt has ridden up your back and 150 people just saw YOU walk to your car and said nothing.

Happened to me the other day. Shirt rode up and tucked itself behind the grip. I walked around the grocery store and I was the only one that eventually noticed. :rolleyes:

Hickok45 did a couple of videos on holsters, and I copy what he does. An unbuttoned shirt or long vest over a pocket T or Polo shirt, year around. I've cut the sleeves from a heavier denim shirt to make my warm weather "Vest". Wearing a heavier shirt or vest in the cold months. Commonly called a "cover garment".
I suggest something from S&W M&P compact size or smaller which makes cc so much easier.

Usually the long grip is the major culprit that does the most printing. Be sure the cloth doesn't let the dark gun show thru, darker material and printed clothing help a lot.
Hickok is 6'8" and can carry just about anything he wants, but usually conceals compact or smaller.
IWB is usually the best as the combination of the holster AND your belt pulling your gun in tight to your body helps to hide its outline. My $0.02 worth
Good luck!
Gabby

Last Edited:
My holster has a device that pushes against the belt and draws the grip in tight to the body. No printing at all.

Happened to me the other day. Shirt rode up and tucked itself behind the grip. I walked around the grocery store and I was the only one that eventually noticed. :rolleyes:

K.J.
I think most people who see an uncovered firearm out in public tend to mind their own business. I've seen several O.C. here in C. J. and I wasn't the only one and no one said a word. Including yours truly! So since no one made a fuss about your accidental reveal, doesn't mean it wasn't noticed.
Gabby

But, in the meantime, if I wanted to make the Guardian work...Are my expectations on concealment just impossible?

Not at all impossible.
A commander size 1911 is quite comfortable with the right belt and holster. Google shows me the holster you mentioned is a single clip... get rid of it and get a double clip IWB with a forward cant, the rearward clip will suck the grip in towards your body more. No holster will work properly without a dedicated gun belt.

Short answer: get a Bigfoot Gunbelt and a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.

I'm 5'8", broad shoulders and back, close to 200. When I carry a 1911, it's often at about 7 o'clock IWB (lefty) and can conceal fairly well wearing an XL t shirt. My arm hangs over the pistol in front, and the grip tends to hide fairly well from the rear. That said, I have been financially fortunate enough to have a few carry options at my disposal. Easier concealed options I use based on what my surroundings will be are a Ruger LCP, a Glock 30s, or an. S&W 637. I carry the revolver AIWB, and the Glock and lcp in the same manner as a 1911.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top