JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Police, and military, contracts in u.s. and worldwide will keep buying the 19 and 17....that is if they opt for glock. They wont buy slim lines for lack of capacity.

Further, manufacturers know we civilians still like buying guns used by police and military because we want a gun as stuff as they have.....wannabes maybe, but I want a proven system.

The slimline will not replace the 17/19 guns because they are in different categories. On is popo/military the other civilians and officers buying backups on their own dime.

The 48 should have been released decades ago. Now a 48 buyer has a boat load of options as a cividome. I wouldn't be surprised if 19 sales outpaced the 48 in a few years.

Glock has surrendered a lot of leadership in the last 20 years, but 19 will continue to be a finalist even for civilian market

The Diderot Effect?

I've never found width to be the biggest factor in concealability, nor has weight been something I've considered problematic for any gun I own. I open carry my G21 once in a great while and my s&w 686 every time I hunt. Never once thought "man I sure wish this gun was lighter" but I HAVE thought grips were too long to conceal so if you were saying the G43 with a theoretical 10 round flush fit mag made the G26 obsolete, I'd agree but as far as size goes, I like the G19 fine as it is and will likely never get on the G48 train

Just curious if anyone is dumping their Glock 19 for the new Glock 48.

I am thinking weight savings, slimmer profile, and the all new Shield Arms 15 round magazine give the G48 advantage over the G19.

Is the Glock 19 now obsolete?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
LightX

No! I just sold a 48 in light of 19, it's too narrow for me to get a good handle on.

I honestly haven't been paying attention that much to what the differences were between the 43 and the 48. Had to go look them up to educate myself just now. I like the idea of the 48 especially with 15 round mags. My question is how available are the SA mags? I see they are out of stock on their website.

I do not think the 19 is obsolete though for all the reasons already mentioned.

I am thinking weight savings, slimmer profile, and the all new Shield Arms 15 round magazine give the G48 advantage over the G19.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
LightX

Albeit, I am generalizing here ... I am sure that this is a large percentage of Glock 19 owners who have modified their pistols to fit the hand better. Hence I've seen a lot of hack jobs, stippling, and size reduction, etc, etc... It seems as though almost everyone wants the capacity, but wants a reduction in grip size, functional stippling, fancy slide cuts, MOS capability, and everything else under the sun...
personally, I love the Glock 19. I find it very reliable and accurate; however, the Glock 48 intrigues me.

Glock talk is always fun.

Regarding the post topic - I've got 'em both.

I got lucky a while back and found a G19.3 with the frying-pan finish - nice looking pistol. Staged for home defense and love to take to the range. I'll be keeping it, "fur shure".

I purchased a 43X about a year ago. At the end of the summer I swapped slides with a forum member who had a G48.

With the Shield mags (which have run flawless for me with several hundred rounds down range) there IS a significant difference between the G48 and G19 in concealability ... for ME. But I'm heavy set and carry OWB. So for others there might not be any advantage with the G48 configured with the Shield 15 mag, over a standard G19.

YMMV.

It really is amazing how much of a difference a 1/4 inch in width and a 1/4 lb in weight can make (again, for me). I'm sure a lot of it is psychological, but ounces and inches count.

Bottom line is that the Shield Arms 15-round, flush fit mag was a game changer for me in terms of EDC.

What holster are you running? I'm a big guy too, and prefer OWB carry. Just picked up a 48 on Saturday. Anxious to start carrying it.

Um, no, not at all.
I agree! I have a 26, 19, 23, 32, 30s, 40, and 45. So that being said... you notice that the 19/23/32 are all the same size! The 26 is my backup! Why? Because the 19 is the primary at 4 o'clock position and 26 is appendix! The 26 can use the 19 mags so ummm yea I like the 19 lol. If you want less weight then get the one that you will carry! IDK!
My theory is that if a 48 is what you feel comfortable with and you therefore carry it ALL the TIME then that is all that matters!

Last Edited:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
LightX
I'm happy with 43x and my 15 rounders. A G19 is sweeter with 33 rounder. More mag cap options. :)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews