JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
That would be Fritos Barbecue corn chips. But they aren't the same as the old ones. Which as I recall I first had in the 1970's. The old ones were a little sweeter and had no kick. I didn't notice when they disappeared, but I saw them again in Summer 2018. There was discussion about this on the internet. The talk was that the Barbecue flavor Fritos were brought back as a seasonal item but were discontinued again after that Summer. For the past month, I've seen them available again. They are not the same as the Chile-Cheese version

The current ones have a taste of heat in them. Which I've found to be consistent with the trend of a number of food products. That is, a greater tendency to spiciness. This came to my attention in the Polish Dog sandwich at Der Wienerschnitzel. Yes, we still have one in Everett, WA. The owners told me they were the only one in the state. The sausage in this sandwich used to be a Kielbasa-type without hot spicing. The current one is a little on the hotter side.

This discussion reminds me of many consumer food products that have come and gone. Mrs. Merkt and I have decided that it's not wise to accumulate favorites, because when you do this, you will mourn their loss when they are discontinued. Some examples in my life:

Breakfast cereals:

"Jets" made by General Mills. These were made of oats and wheat with a sugar coating. The originals were round balls. Later, they were changed to the shape of a little jet. They've been gone for a long time.

"Trix" also from General Mills. These are still available, but they have been reformulated and for me are not longer edible. The round ball shape disappeared; they are random fruity shapes now but the taste was also changed.

"Honeycombs" by Post. This product has been reformulated at least three times that I know of. The first time this happened, there was a huge consumer blow-back which resulted in the third version. Which isn't the same as the first, but better than the second.

"Puffa Puffa Rice" This was from Kellogg's, frosted puffed rice. It was very good but I don't think it outlasted the 1970's.

Just try to find regular puffed rice.

"Kellogg's Concentrate" Guess who made this one. This was a kinda dietary cereal, not branny but advertised as being good for the digestion. I didn't like it for those reasons but I found it very tasty. Of course it came in a small, pricey, gold-colored box because it packed more densely.

There are many more discontinued cereals, such as:

Many of these were novelty products based on then-current entertainment trends, etc., and were doomed from the start to early discontinuation.

One more thing about "cold" cereals, which my grandparents always referred to as "breakfast food." That is, just how many versions of a certain shape and formulation do we really need? Have you ever noticed just how many versions of Cheerios are on the shelf now? Or Frosted Mini-wheats? I have also noticed that Kellogg's has multiple flavors of Frosted Flakes. I think I've seen Pumpkin Spice Frosted Flakes (-puke-).

Along this same line, just how many versions of Oreo cookies are needed? The marketing people must think many, because I've seen between 12 and 15 different versions. Google says there are 30 different Oreos.

I've got to move this along. I will limit my final comments to lunch meats. Or cold cuts, whatever you want to call them. Consumer preference is really cutting into the selection in this category. My favorite brand has been Oscar Mayer, which is no longer an independent company. Now it is owned by Kraft / Heinz. I think one dynamic for a reduced selection of cold cuts is because these days, fewer people put their own sandwiches and lunches together and purchase fast food out instead.

Cotto Salami is still available. This has been one that I never liked. That so obviously fatty stuff with the whole peppers in it. Read the label, main ingredient, pork hearts. Now I know cold cuts are made of packing house left-over, that's fact. But I don't want to read it on the label.

The one I liked the most was Jellied Corn Beef. Which was flaked corned beef suspended in gelatin (liquified bone and hoof). It hasn't been available for many years. As an adult, I also liked the square-shaped Liver Cheese, the stuff with the little ring of white fat around the edge (my bad). It was available up until about eight or ten years ago, but I haven't seen it since. Just as well, I shouldn't eat anything that fatty.

Two others I liked were Pimento and Pickle Loaf and Olive Loaf. The former has been gone for ten years. I've seen the Olive Loaf in the deli case at Walmart within the last couple of years but not lately.

I may continue with a discussion of candy bars if this post doesn't get me thrown off the website.

Never been a fan of breakfast meals in the morning :rolleyes:

As snacks... I do admit, I was raised on the Malt-O-Meals giant bagged cereals, and Honey Nut Cheerios. I do like frosted Wheaties but.. man, the vast majority of dry cold cereals are just overloaded with sugars and sweeteners. Not a good thing.

A lot of foods are either overloaded with sweeteners, or salt.

I have noticed a lot of "low sodium", "light salt" chips and snack crackers that actually taste more like what they used to taste like...

Can't stand the overly salty chips anymore.

Meats.... I too have noticed more spiciness in several meats, particularly the breakfast sausages and pizza sausages. Not sure what that says about the average consumer nowadays, but I do think part of that has to do with increased preferences for tacos, chili, nachos, things like that... or if it says more about my own taste buds getting old. Something to think about.

Raised on macaroni and cheese... I have noticed a very distinct trend of making the cheese more natural looking versus the nuclear yellow of the 1980s.

As a broke college student; Ramen saved my life at the cost of increased blood pressure long term :s0140: but... prices on those have shot up over double from $0.11 apiece to $0.34 apiece :eek: At that price point; it's cheaper in bulk to get the dry noodles and do the bullion/ broth cubes and seasonings.

Even the cheap meats like Budding sandwich meats, Bar-S hot dogs, and so on have a distinctly different taste now from 10 years ago... not sure if good or bad, fuzzy on that. But... my kid do like Foster Farm's chicken nuggets as well as the popcorn chicken from Safeway. She is also a fan of fresh made meats like pot roasts, rotisserie chicken, ground beef, grilled chicken, and turkey :D she hates hotdogs so that's pretty good. Also seems to hate fries from anyone... even not a fan of chips...but will eat fruits and Graham crackers all day long.

To this day; I studiously avoid Tyson's foil packed chicken. Last time about 10 years ago, I brought one packet along for a hike and let me tell you... opened it, smelled like cat food. Lost the appetite for it and tossed it in the woods and put the foil packet into the fire. 81S11KabzXL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Those cereals are complete garbage, I would never eat the chit let alone feed it to my kids.
My kid has never liked any cereal or even oatmeal. We tried. Oh well. Wife likes eating the whole grain/multi grain Cheerios and Raisin Bran types... same kid hates milk though. Is just fine with real ice cream and not the crap "frozen dairy desserts ". She also like Out Shine Popsicles.

Meats.... I too have noticed more spiciness in several meats, particularly the breakfast sausages and pizza sausages. Not sure what that says about the average consumer nowadays, but I do think part of that has to do with increased preferences for tacos, chili, nachos, things like that... or if it says more about my own taste buds getting old. Something to think about.
My guess as to this trend is that it's a result of the increasing Hispanic proponent in the population.

Ramen saved my life at the cost of increased blood pressure long term
The issue with ramen is that they are fried in oil as part of the manufacturing process.

Raised on macaroni and cheese... I have noticed a very distinct trend of making the cheese more natural looking versus the nuclear yellow of the 1980s.
Yes, it seems that in recent times there has been a trend to glamorize this simple dish. Like making it with expensive cheeses. I have to admit I've had some on cruise ships that was pretty dreamy.

Re. breakfast cereals in general. In their early days, they were pretty simple products. Sugar was not a major component, if at all. The sugar cereal push started after WW2 and was designed to lure more children in as consumers. Now sugared-up cereals are the norm. Even cereals that are not sugar coated usually contain some trace of it.

Cold cereals vs. hot cereals. Cold cereals were always about quick prep. Pour and pour. Hot cereals required some work to prepare. So even way back in the 1910's and 20's, time-saving shortcuts were desired. Hot cereals, like oatmeal, farina (Cream of Wheat), etc. have declined in popularity for a long time and it's all about time spent.

I still eat oatmeal from time to time. Of course now we have the version that cooks more quickly, but that "instant" stuff in the small packets that goes in the microwave oven isn't for me.

Grits is often thought to be a Southern dish, eaten on the side as a starch. I've always eaten it as a hot cereal. My parents were from the North, so that pile of steaming hot grits on the same plate as a protein item was not a thing. Corn meal is similar to grits, just more finely ground. My mother from the North (Iowa) sometimes made corn meal mush, served hot off the stove as a hot cereal with milk. She would make a large batch and the leftover would go into a bowl in the refrigerator. Then the next day, the now solid mass of corn meal would be sliced up and fried. The result was served with butter and syrup and a fried egg or two.

I don't eat cold breakfast cereal much these days. For years, I ate such with half and half, not just milk. With mere milk, it tasted too watery. As age caught up with me, I had to discontinue this practice. Fatty foods no longer agree with me and the half and half trick was full of fat. There is such a thing now as fat-free half and half; once in a while I have some cereal with this. It's not the same, though. Oh, the other thing now is, I have trouble with too much sugar in foods. Not blood sugar problems but digestive in nature.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top