JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So in @P7M13 's thread about blowing up his G20 I got me thinking about my carry load I use in brown bear country and whether it is safe in my gen 3 G20 with aftermarket storm lake barrel.
It is 8.4gr of the now discontinued 800x powder, using a 200gr wfngc hardcast bullet and a cci 350 primer. This load chrono's 1250 fps out of the slightly longer than stock barrel and is quite accurate.
I decided to research the loads genesis and potential safety. Ultimately what I found is one reference in an older imr manual I have using 8.4gr 800x with a 200gr xtp bullet. I believe the other references I used in developing this load are no longer available published online as 800x is no more.
There have been some crazies out there that have put 10gr or more with this same bullet and I know they are well overpressure. The latest nosler data using their 200gr jacketed bullet shows a max of 7.7gr 800x.
Just to be clear I have never seen the slightest sign of pressure with this load, but I know they do not always definitively show. If any of you have published data that may help me discern whether it would be prudent to back out of this load, I am all ears.

Last Edited:
As you reuse your brass, I would watch out for brittleness.
I forgot to mention this load only uses new star brass. After firing it gets annealed and relegated to lighter loads only. I only shoot about 15 rds a year of this stuff through my G20.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews