JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just read moments ago that the Shield Arms 15rd mag has a tendency to break at the extension and should not be depended on for SD.

From Active Self Protection:

nc_ohc=CFiXiAbi-fUAX-XQA9k&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio1-1.jpg

Wait......that picture shows like a +3 extension. This is NOT how they come from the factory. Methinks more is going on than a product failure........

G19 isn't going anywhere. Vs the 48, the G19 offers:
-larger size/weight meaning it's a little less snappier and handles rapid fire better.
-MOS/milled versions that accept some awesome red dots. 48's slimmer footprint means red dots with small windows.
-a standardized accessory rail, so practically everything works from minimalist EDC (olights/TLR-7) to larger for duty use (TLR-1/X300)
-OEM mags that have decades of proven reliability.
-OEM mags that are standardized, cheap and plentiful, allowing the use of anything from 15rds to 17rders w/ extensions to 33rd fun sticks. If you have a PCC, interchangeability with that as well.

If anything, G19 is a duty level gun that can be pressed into a CCW role... G48 with SA mags definitely fills the niche of a CCW gun with amazing capacity, but most people would definitely opt for something larger for duty/OWB carry. Even the soon-to-come MOS version that adds optics-readiness and a limited accessory rail seems meh.

Lastly, I think it's also just a liiiittle too large for some smaller-to-medium framed people to comfortably EDC? P365 or the XL version seems to make more sense for most people IMO (and you can still carry a 15rd magazine as a spare).

I don't like the idea of using a steel magazine in a Glock, it will eventually shave enough meat off the polymer mag release to cause failures.

I think Shield Arms strongly advises (and sells) a metal mag release for this very reason.

If anything, G19 is a duty level gun that can be pressed into a CCW role...

Is it or is it a CCW gun that can be pressed into a duty role? If I was going to pick a strictly duty gun I'd opt for a 17, I choose the 19 primarily for the shorter more concealable grip. The truth is it works both ways and IMO on the sliding scale it is still the ultimate compromise between the two worlds.

I think Shield Arms strongly advises (and sells) a metal mag release for this very reason.

So, buy our steel mags and our steel mag release so you can use our steel mags and BTW that will now shave on your polymer factory mags, sounds like a great deal. :s0125:

Is it or is it a CCW gun that can be pressed into a duty role? If I was going to pick a strictly duty gun I'd opt for a 17, I choose the 19 primarily for the shorter more concealable grip. . .

I'd still hold by my statement: Yes, the Glock 17 is the definitive duty gun. And while the Glock 19 was marketed towards detectives/plain clothes officers upon it's release in '88, it mostly found its niche amongst smaller-framed and female agents.. and I'd still say that's "duty" in the sense of usage by LEO or armed security. Think the G26 was released in '95 and that was marketed as a back-up gun that still shared magazine compatibility with the "duty" sidearm. So that's sorta CCW, but I'd still kind of consider it duty...?

I guess when I say CCW, it's more in reference to the proliferation of civilian concealed carry as well as the firearm industry beginning to cater to that growing market? And that didn't really didn't happen until the mid-2000s.. Have to remember DC v Heller didn't happen until 2008.

. . .So, buy our steel mags and our steel mag release so you can use our steel mags and BTW that will now shave on your polymer factory mags, sounds like a great deal.
Yeah - just another reason why I still think the P365 makes more sense as a CCW piece? Stack-and-a-half metal mags by design, from the manufacturer. Shorter, more CCW-friendly grip length at 10 or 12rd. Better factory sights and the XL version is optics-ready. Oh and since the serialized firearm is just the insert, it's modular and can be set up different ways (p365, p365xl, p365 longslide, or p365-X)

Last Edited:
Bottom line, the G19 is not obsolete, it is not even close to being obsolescent.
Just the 9MM part is obsolete add four numbers and you have a G-23, way more interesting. No G-48 size frame in the stupendous 40 S&W caliber.

Okay just messing with the thread. I prefer a 19 to a 48.

Just the 9MM part is obsolete add four numbers and you have a G-23, way more interesting. No G-48 size frame in the stupendous 40 S&W caliber.

Not according to sales in modern history and the recent supply and demand. Plus it has been around nearly four times as long, its going no where.

9mm - 1902 * 118 years
45acp - 1905 * 115 years
40S&W - 1990 * 30 years

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads