JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Imagine....a world without red M&M's. Wait a second....
Yes, candy was another topic for this discussion.

There have been a lot of candy lines that have come and go in the past few decades. But many of these were bound to be only temporary as they were based on popular trends of a given moment.

It's surprising how many enduring candy products still available that have been around for decades.

M&M's are one of those products, like Oreo cookies, that now have many different variations. Google says that at present, there are just under 50 different kinds. My favorite was the older "with peanuts" but I can't eat them much anymore, too much sugar. And I'm having some problems with chocolate as well. Sigh.

Skittles, they've been around in the US for several decades now. It was my son's favorite candy but I've always hated them, personally.

Even when I was a candy-crazed kid, there were two things that I wouldn't eat. One was peppermint, one of the oldest candies around. The other was licorice, another oldie. I made an exception for Good and Plenty because of the candy coating on the outside. Which was just a generic sugar flavor.

There was a white candy bar marketed in the late 1960's - early 1970's called, "Cool Nougat" which was a favorite of mine. It's been out of production for decades. I forgot which company made it, but they got bought out by Hershey and that firm killed it. It was a seasonal product for Summer, like the Zero bar used to be. I see Zero for sale throughout the year now.

Yes, candy was another topic for this discussion.

There have been a lot of candy lines that have come and go in the past few decades. But many of these were bound to be only temporary as they were based on popular trends of a given moment.

It's surprising how many enduring candy products still available that have been around for decades.

M&M's are one of those products, like Oreo cookies, that now have many different variations. Google says that at present, there are just under 50 different kinds. My favorite was the older "with peanuts" but I can't eat them much anymore, too much sugar. And I'm having some problems with chocolate as well. Sigh.

Skittles, they've been around in the US for several decades now. It was my son's favorite candy but I've always hated them, personally.

Even when I was a candy-crazed kid, there were two things that I wouldn't eat. One was peppermint, one of the oldest candies around. The other was licorice, another oldie. I made an exception for Good and Plenty because of the candy coating on the outside. Which was just a generic sugar flavor.

There was a white candy bar marketed in the late 1960's - early 1970's called, "Cool Nougat" which was a favorite of mine. It's been out of production for decades. I forgot which company made it, but they got bought out by Hershey and that firm killed it. It was a seasonal product for Summer, like the Zero bar used to be. I see Zero for sale throughout the year now.

I hated licorice as a kid. It just tasted nasty. Somewhere around the time I learned to like beer and coffee, I discovered that it was pretty good after all. Still don't like asparagus though. :s0002:

I hated licorice as a kid. It just tasted nasty. Somewhere around the time I learned to like beer and coffee, I discovered that it was pretty good after all. Still don't like asparagus though. :s0002:
I always hated black licorice. Up to a point, and then "Licorice Nibs" came out and I liked that. "Aspergas" is what it was called back in the late '50s-'60s by my family. It was one of those vegies that I could not eat. Not just didn't like, and was ordered to stay at the table until the plate was clean. I gagged. For reels on Asparagus. Here's the thing though. It grew wild on ditch banks all up and down our street. I liked gathering it and would eat it raw sometimes. It was probably my moms fault I couldn't eat it at home. I remember dad saying my mom "Cooked the bubblegum out of everything". Love asperagus now though. Steamed or stir-fried tender crisp.

I always hated black licorice. Up to a point, and then "Licorice Nibs" came out and I liked that. "Aspergas" is what it was called back in the late '50s-'60s by my family. It was one of those vegies that I could not eat. Not just didn't like, and was ordered to stay at the table until the plate was clean. I gagged. For reels on Asparagus. Here's the thing though. It grew wild on ditch banks all up and down our street. I liked gathering it and would eat it raw sometimes. It was probably my moms fault I couldn't eat it at home. I remember dad saying my mom "Cooked the bubblegum out of everything". Love asperagus now though. Steamed or stir-fried tender crisp.
There are a lot of vegetables that I find unappetizing if overcooked.

The only way I can eat oatmeal is by soaking it overnight in milk and adding a tiny amount of brown sugar and raisins or something.. it's really good because there are four states of oatmeal:
1: cold soaked
2: glue
3: poop (see 1)
4: puke (see 2)

The only way I can eat oatmeal is by soaking it overnight in milk and adding a tiny amount of brown sugar and raisins or something.. it's really good because there are four states of oatmeal:
1: cold soaked
2: glue
3: poop (see 1)
4: puke (see 2)
I ate all those breakfast cereals as a kid. Mom and dad rotated through a bunch of cold cereals in those days. I liked Coco Crispys. Run two bowls of cereal through one bowl of milk and have some wicked good chocolate milk!

Oatmeal was meh. Having canned milk to put on it was okay. I was never much of a sweets/candy eater. but burgers and FRIES, oh yeah! Both parents worked and grandma lived next door, with a lot between our houses. Spent a lot of my young child hood at her house. They grew up dirt poor so their food was poor folk food. Still love meat loaf and roast beef hash. Among other poor folk food.

I ate all those breakfast cereals as a kid. Mom and dad rotated through a bunch of cold cereals in those days. I liked Coco Crispys. Run two bowls of cereal through one bowl of milk and have some wicked good chocolate milk!

Oatmeal was meh. Having canned milk to put on it was okay. I was never much of a sweets/candy eater. but burgers and FRIES, oh yeah! Both parents worked and grandma lived next door, with a lot between our houses. Spent a lot of my young child hood at her house. They grew up dirt poor so their food was poor folk food. Still love meat loaf and roast beef hash. Among other poor folk food.
Bless my mom's heart, a couple times a week before we had to catch the school bus she'd make oatmeal/glue. I had two bites in three years only after every single time it was made, me putting whatever was on hand upon it in the hopes of transforming it into something edible. Horrible stuff. I still tease her about it.

You all don't know what you're talking about! Grape nuts is great and it's about the only cold cereal I'll touch these days. The rest of them push my blood sugar through the roof and then I'm crashing a couple hours later. Breakfast is really supposed to be a couple eggs over easy laying on some fried potatoes with onions and peppers if you have them. Add a couple links of sausage and a piece of sour dough toast that's lightly buttered and I'm a happy camper.

You all don't know what you're talking about! Grape nuts is great and it's about the only cold cereal I'll touch these days. The rest of them push my blood sugar through the roof and then I'm crashing a couple hours later. Breakfast is really supposed to be a couple eggs over easy laying on some fried potatoes with onions and peppers if you have them. Add a couple links of sausage and a piece of sour dough toast that's lightly buttered and I'm a happy camper.
There's a reason we call eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and potatoes (and sometimes gravy and/or cheese) a Farmer's Breakfast. That's energy that will last you all the way to a late lunch while you work your butt off. Interestingly, not a lot of sugar in it usually.

I hated licorice as a kid. It just tasted nasty. Somewhere around the time I learned to like beer and coffee, I discovered that it was pretty good after all. Still don't like asparagus though.
True licorice, the black kind, no like. But somewhere along the line, I discovered Red Vines, which I liked until I grew out of them.

Asparagus, we have when it's on sale at Fred Meyer. Mrs. Merkt has to get her load of vegetables to stick to her diet. It's called filler material. I eat it when it's served. My major complaint, it makes my whiz smell funky. Fresh is okay, but I prefer the canned version because it's so soft. Canned probably doesn't contain the same amount of nutrients, though.

In Germany, asparagus often comes in the white. Rather than green. Over there, they keep heaping dirt onto the spears as they break through the soil. Which prevents photosynthesis. I guess it makes it come out more tender? One time when my meal came with green asparagus, I asked the waitress where it came from and she said, "aus Kalifornien." The white stuff comes from the southwest corner of Germany and from France.

True licorice, the black kind, no like. But somewhere along the line, I discovered Red Vines, which I liked until I grew out of them.

Asparagus, we have when it's on sale at Fred Meyer. Mrs. Merkt has to get her load of vegetables to stick to her diet. It's called filler material. I eat it when it's served. My major complaint, it makes my whiz smell funky. Fresh is okay, but I prefer the canned version because it's so soft. Canned probably doesn't contain the same amount of nutrients, though.

In Germany, asparagus often comes in the white. Rather than green. Over there, they keep heaping dirt onto the spears as they break through the soil. Which prevents photosynthesis. I guess it makes it come out more tender? One time when my meal came with green asparagus, I asked the waitress where it came from and she said, "aus Kalifornien." The white stuff comes from the southwest corner of Germany and from France.
For me, asparagus makes my house smell awful. :D

I loved licorice as a kid (still do), so much so the Grand Sobo whipped my bareass with a 3-foot-long strip of it. Funny story goes along with that... :s0140:

I love asparagus - either pickled or buttered & grilled. But I never have it before a date, though. Gotta stick to lots of fresh pineapple for that... ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top