JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Thomas Jefferson
The Declaration of Independence
Second Continental Congress
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Back in the day, Thomas Day seems to have taken exception to the august Jefferson's word, quote:

If there be an object truly ridiculous in nature, it is an American patriot, signing resolutions of independency with the one hand, and with the other brandishing a whip over his affrighted slaves.

Armitage, David. The Declaration Of Independence: A Global History. 76–77. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 2007.

Unfortunately, the 'men' Jefferson was referring to were, White, Wealthy, Politicians, and for the most part slave owners! Hummm just as is the case today in this country!

While it is true that many , but not all , of the "Founding Fathers" :
Owned Slaves...
Were well to do ...
Owned land...
Thought that only men of their class could or should ______ ( insert whatever here )

Judging them with a 21st century mindset , ideas , values etc...is wrong.
It is well to remember that they were men of their time..with 18th century notions , outlooks and knowledge.

That they were far-sighted enough to craft the documents then , that :
Still shape our way of life , words and sense of self ...
Continue to provoke thought , ideas , feelings and argument...
Should be a testament to their wisdom and life.

Many of us , in the 21st century see that however flawed as a person , Thomas Jefferson and others may have been , the words that they wrote , are the idea , that was and is America , for all of its citizens , today , tomorrow and hopefully forever.
All without the need to criticize , skew or judge them , with a "modern" set of standards.

And yes I do know that many of "Founding Fathers" were often at odds with one another over the very words and ideas that we , now today cherish...
Indeed many of them had differing notions of Life , Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...And with just who and what was entitled to the above...

In the end , however they might have disagreed , we have their words , documents and thoughts , to provide the framework of our country
We owe it to them and our nation's future to carry on with the ideas that they fought for , were jailed for or died for.
Andy

While it is true that many , but not all , of the "Founding Fathers" :
Owned Slaves...
Were well to do ...
Owned land...
Thought that only men of their class could or should ______ ( insert whatever here )

Judging them with a 21st century mindset , ideas , values etc...is wrong.
It is well to remember that they were men of their time..with 18th century notions , outlooks and knowledge.

That they were far-sighted enough to craft the documents then , that :
Still shape our way of life , words and sense of self ...
Continue to provoke thought , ideas , feelings and argument...
Should be a testament to their wisdom and life.

Many of us , in the 21st century see that however flawed as a person , Thomas Jefferson and others may have been , the words that they wrote , are the idea , that was and is America , for all of its citizens , today , tomorrow and hopefully forever.
All without the need to criticize , skew or judge them , with a "modern" set of standards.

And yes I do know that many of "Founding Fathers" were often at odds with one another over the very words and ideas that we , now today cherish...
Indeed many of them had differing notions of Life , Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...And with just who and what was entitled to the above...

In the end , however they might have disagreed , we have their words , documents and thoughts , to provide the framework of our country
We owe it to them and our nation's future to carry on with the ideas that they fought for , were jailed for or died for.
Andy

As usual, Andy, you have articulated my thoughts on a subject far better than I could have.

@3MTA3 ...Thank you.

To answer the OP....

At the end of the day...Any of The Bill of Rights is a "Guaranteed Constitutional Right"...as long as we continue to live up to the ideas , responsibilities and standards that were laid down before us , by the very men who wrote The Bill of Rights.

A question that I have often wondered is :
Are we as a nation and people now , worthy of the ideas , responsibilities and standards set forth in the :
Constitution and Bill of Rights...?
( As a whole , not individuals )
Andy

@3MTA3 ...Thank you.

To answer the OP....

At the end of the day...Any of The Bill of Rights is a "Guaranteed Constitutional Right"...as long as we continue to live up to the ideas , responsibilities and standards that were laid down before us , by the very men who wrote The Bill of Rights.

A question that I have often wondered is :
Are we as a nation and people now , worthy of the ideas , responsibilities and standards set forth in the :
Constitution and Bill of Rights...?
( As a whole , not individuals )
Andy
Exactly how many people will be willing to stand up against the government.
My guess is that it won't be many.
Mmmmmm .
Maybe 3%

Our rights are going away every day a little at a time .
Not just gun rights .
Lol got into this just today .
You can't build a fence in front of your house .
UNLESS it's up to city specks .mmmm

I think we know why all they teach about Jefferson anymore was that he owned slaves and had one as his mistress. You can't destroy the words of the man until you destroy how he is seen.

True, they've been using that tactic for some time now. And their intent is exactly what you said.

Though I take a different view; the fact these were real men, with all the inherent contradictions, foibles, weakness, and sins of our species, makes them even greater. These were not mythologized saints, but men of courage and vision who, despite whatever flaws, founded the greatest nation on the face of the planet. This wild experiment in liberty has done more to lift humanity out of the mud, freed more enslaved people, given hope to those without any, and done more to advance the sciences, technology, and medicine than any other. Far better is it to judge the Founders on what they created.

As Lincoln put it, on this day in 1862 "[the] last best hope for Earth". If American ever goes under, I fear that the world will be plunged into something that will make the Dark Ages look almost pleasant by comparison.

Any law that requires a permit or tax that costs money is automatically unfair to those that are poor and can't afford it.

I will be very interested in how gun person to person purchases are handled in the new Sanctuary counties in Oregon. Will I still have to pay to sell my legally owned firearms? I haven't heard anything from my local Sheriff in Columbia county.

I am a practicing martial artist and I carry a gun. Unfortunately I'm old, but still able to fight. Yet, my wife is very fragile and I feel I need a ace card with me--my gun--. If they took my gun rights away, I would, like many others, become criminals. I would give up all my guns except one, that got stolen. I would have that hidden and used only if our lives were in danger. I would bury my smallest gun NAA 22mg Sidewinder under my basement steps. like John Wick, I would smash the bottom step and place my small gun and 1,000 round of ammo in the hole. Then batch it up like John Wick. Then if the day came, I would take my big hammer and smash the steps.
Kidding aside, many Americans would not give up all their guns. If they did, any criminal could and would just walk into your home, because criminals will always have guns. Why can't the powers that be understand that??? Also why can't they understand that 95% of the time, the police, once called, are never there till after the crime has been committed? I guess because the Senators, politicians, the rich and celebrities would always be except from the take away gun laws.
Sometimes I wish I had been born in the 1800,s.
Signed, Wishful Thinker

I posted this on a different forum at NWFA, but I think it really belongs in this one.

Our Heritage.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads