JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was wondering if you can take a gen 5 glock and put a red dot on it. Based on my search online it seems that you either have to get the slide milled for it, or you can buy an attachment that will hold it.. but the attachment requires a sight adjustment tool to use (which i dont have)
anyone can shed light on this?

also is it the same story for a sig p320?

The short answer is yes. Many pistols, including the two you mentioned often come pre milled from the factory for red dots. Glock refers to them as MOS, I do not know what Sig calls it. If you already have a non milled version, you can easily have them milled however you like, though I do not know if it is cost effective

Major manufactures have started to sell red dot capable pistols that are set up to accept some red dots from the get go. There's some homework required to determine what red dots and mounting adapters work together on specific pistols because they are not all completely standardized across all brands/makes/models. For a while now businesses have offered milling for red dots. That again requires some homework to determine what you want it set up for, though it seems less cost effective than going with one already done by the manufacturer.

That all being said, the same amount of money that a red dot set up goes for poured into training instead would likely give you a more proficient result. Buying gear doesn't equate to improving skills, though it is a common and seemingly much more popular endeavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
The short answer is yes. Many pistols, including the two you mentioned often come pre milled from the factory for red dots. Glock refers to them as MOS, I do not know what Sig calls it. If you already have a non milled version, you can easily have them milled however you like, though I do not know if it is cost effective
They probably aren't as "cost effective" but the good ones are vastly superior IMO. The Glock MOS could have and should have been better than it is, it should have been a deeper cut. The OEM plates suck donkey balls and pretty much require a Forward Controls or CHPWS version but as much as it pains me to say the Holosun SCS might be the best solution for the MOS. I'd like to see them do the same with their EPS. Other than that, typically, an optic specific cut from someone like ATEi or Jagerwerks is going to sit lower (require shorter irons) and be a stronger mounted connection, the problem there is you're married to that optic or at least that footprint.

I'm still using my Gen 3s but if I were to buy a Glock today with the intent on installing an optic I would buy a non-MOS model and send the slide off to be milled for either the Unity ATOM or Agency Arms AOS, both are superior to the MOS.

You could purchase a new slide for your Glock.

You could purchase a new slide for your Glock.

Actually, this is the route I went at first. I wasn't sure I wanted an optic and I bought a ZEV 19-Trilo slide so I wouldn't have to cut my factory slide. Now that I know I'll cut my OEM slide.

Last Edited:
1649874259576.png

Aloha, Mark

PS........IF there's a will there's a way. Please define "EASY"?

Was wondering if you can take a gen 5 glock and put a red dot on it. Based on my search online it seems that you either have to get the slide milled for it, or you can buy an attachment that will hold it.. but the attachment requires a sight adjustment tool to use (which i dont have)
anyone can shed light on this?

also is it the same story for a sig p320?
Personally I think that the adapters that use the rear dovetail are a quite funky.
Even the Glock MOS adapter system has its detractors.

With a Glock, I'd send it out to a known-excellent shop and have it cut for the red dot sight of my choice.
Or I'd get an aftermarket slide from one of the known-excellent manufacturers.

If for a P320 Full Size, an easy way is to acquire a Pro slide.
This slide has all the little shortcomings of previous slides fixed and it is plug-n-play for the updated SIG RDS and I think RMR as well.
Sig Sauer P320 Pro 4.7" Slide Assembly - 9mm
8900142​

And if you have your slide milled, you don't have to use the MOS adapter plates. Keeps the optic a little lower on the slide, a good thing.

What optic do you plan on trying? I'm guessing this is for the G45 that your parents bought for self defense…. If so shooting red dots takes just as much training and time behind the gun as iron sights do. If this is not the case then please disregard my comment.

What optic do you plan on trying? I'm guessing this is for the G45 that your parents bought for self defense…. If so shooting red dots takes just as much training and time behind the gun as iron sights do. If this is not the case then please disregard my comment.
no its for myself.

Might consider trying a laser before modifying the pistol for a red dot. It's made a heck of a difference on my carry pistol. I use a Crimson Trace and it's definitely daylight visible.

Might consider trying a laser before modifying the pistol for a red dot. It's made a heck of a difference on my carry pistol. I use a Crimson Trace and it's definitely daylight visible.
I have a CT laser on my 442, but I can't stand them on a Glock, the laser diode is right in the way of shooting left-handed and racking the slide while using the rear serrations. If I were to put a laser on a Glock I'd go with a Lasermax Guide Rod Laser, a Surefire X400U would be a distant second choice.

Depends on the daylight, they are pretty worthless on a sunny day at high noon.

no its for myself.
What red dot are you going to use? How much time do you have behind a pistol? Is it going to be a carry gun? Not trying to be rude just trying to set a foundation to answer your question. But the answer to putting red dots on Glocks is yes. Very easy. Either get it milled (the best method), mos version w/ plates (not as good but works) or you can get some mounting plates that can be pressed into the rear dovetail allowing you to mount an optic (puts the dot really high but allows a red dot without modifying the slide).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top