JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I want an AK or AR I want to buy it legally, have the backround check and take legal possession. NOW it's mine, I bought it legally and NO you can't take it!
In the context of this thread about building an AK, what is your post supposed to mean, and who is the "you" you are referring to?

Talk about derailing a tread...

I still am sitting here with an AK kit without the means to assemble it the way I would like to. I can not afford all the tooling to build the kit correctly, so it looks like I will just pick up a completed receiver and a screw kit. Hopefully I will be able to build a proper AK one of these days...

JimBob, I say this with tongue in cheek, but "friends don't let friends screw together their AKs"

There has been a lot of debate about this and IMHO if one is to build a rifle that will last for generations, then it is prudent to build it in a way that ensures a quality build. This is my opinion.

so to bring this thread back on track the only problem that needs to be worked out is the legality of a build party. As long as that is up in the air it will hold back a lot of people wanting to build but dont own the tools.

Koda, I started this thread to see if there is an interest in building AKs among the membership here. I never had any intention of a build party, only suggesting that I have tools available, which I have since put in the classifieds. I'm sure these tools could be re-sold to others here who may find an interest as well.

:)

Koda, I started this thread to see if there is an interest in building AKs among the membership here. I never had any intention of a build party, only suggesting that I have tools available, which I have since put in the classifieds. I'm sure these tools could be re-sold to others here who may find an interest as well.

:)
Ah, got it now. Sorry, this thread has gotten long....

Buying the tools and then selling them later seems like the only shur legal option.

The "you" in post #110. I didn't mean to drag this thread off track.

That still does not explain the context of your post. And all you did explaining the word "you", was refer the word you. If you did not mean to get this thread off track. Why did you even post such a statement on this thread? You are entitled to your opinion. But sometimes it is best to keep your opinion to yourself.

I have seen the flat steel that is formed and assembled into an AK with no Serial number available over the counter at a Gunshow. My point is that if you build an AK with no serial number and it examined by a cop you might have a legal problem. And that if I buy an AK over the counter with the serial number and background check that it is a 100% legal purchase. The government should not be able to classify said AK as illegal after the fact. After reading this thread and learning what is required to build an AK, I am not interested in building.

I have some new us barrels and receiver flats laying around somewhere if you get bored and want to bend some...
Do the barrels have all of the FSB/GB, Trunion, hand guard retainer, and Gas ports holes/slots pre milled?

Well Mongo1, Thank you for a much better explanation. If you would have articulated that in the first place, there would not have been any friction. You do have a point. If you are found with an AK and no serial number. Sure a ton of questions are going to come up. But if you are the person that built it and can prove it. What is there to worry about? Now the current law as I understand it. You are not allowed to manufacture for monetary profit. Your not supposed to sell them for cash. But I did not find anything about trading. So it would be possible to have possession of one with no numbers. Then you have even more questions to answer. But it is possible to build an AK with numbers. There are many companies out there that are manufacturing 100% receivers and then you assemble your own rifle. When you do that it eliminates the first three major steps in your build process. It saves about 2 hrs of work if you have the tooling. Now when you assemble a rifle with a numbered receiver, you can legally sell it to anybody that is allowed to own.

Last Edited:
I have some new us barrels and receiver flats laying around somewhere if you get bored and want to bend some...

Are these flats for you or are you selling them? That is another sticking point in building your own. The ATF has regs on building and one of them is that if your are manufacturing your own rifle. You have to do 100% of the receiver bending and finishing yourself. You are not allowed to have somebody bend them for you. You can barrow/buy or rent the tooling but you have to do the proccess yourself.

You can build any serial no# parts with out a no# that you want for your self and you can later sell them to any one. you just cannot build an resell as a business. it is called building with the intent to sell. The ATF rules state that if you build for your self you are not required to have a serial no# but they do recommend to mark it in some way so that if it stolen and you report it you can prove it is yours.

I have seen the flat steel that is formed and assembled into an AK with no Serial number available over the counter at a Gunshow. My point is that if you build an AK with no serial number and it examined by a cop you might have a legal problem. And that if I buy an AK over the counter with the serial number and background check that it is a 100% legal purchase. The government should not be able to classify said AK as illegal after the fact. After reading this thread and learning what is required to build an AK, I am not interested in building.

Actually, it's completely legal to build your own kit, for your own use, even without a serial number, and that's per the ATF themselves. Now, build your own, using the legal to purchase kits, then try to sell it to someone else later, without adding a serial number, and you will be in trouble. The ATF defines the rules for adding a serial number yourself if you do want to sell it.

Building these kits is 100% legal. The only legal question is whether or not you can 'borrow' someone else's tools (press, for example) or if you have to use your own. There is another thread about this where that has been addressed.

You can build any serial no# parts with out a no# that you want for your self and you can later sell them to any one. you just cannot build an resell as a business. it is called building with the intent to sell. The ATF rules state that if you build for your self you are not required to have a serial no# but they do recommend to mark it in some way so that if it stolen and you report it you can prove it is yours.

Good clarification, I had understood that marking rule that it was required to add a mark (such as a serial number) if you were going to transfer ownership to anyone else.

the marking requirements only apply to licensed firearm manufacturers. You don't have to mark one (serialize) to sell, trade of gift. Yes, you can sell it later, you just cant be in the business of making them to sell.

27 CFR 478.92

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.92

(I'm not disagreeing that if by chance your home made firearm was ever inspected by law enforcement you probably will get a lot of questions. )

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top