JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any opinions on getting a 6.8 barrel? I never seen a barrel in 6.8 to convert a 5.45x39 parts kit so I'm thinking a custom barrel?
Why not try going 10mm the 5.45x39 bolt will work but what will be the best way for the mags.....

I'm asking this due to having a few AR's and the three bolts are very close to being the same.

Possible, Montana Rifleman or Green Mountian may have chambered blanks. They will need to be turned to an AK profile they may even turn them for you. My CNC lathe will be up soon I hope. The Ak stuff I do funds it!

It May Require a Custom Gas Tube/Piston.

I know the 6.5 Grendel and 300BLK had to use a short AMD gas system.

Last Edited:
Just thought I would let you know that by the new ATF rules any equipment that takes the serialized part from 80% to finish will be required to be done on your own equipment it cannot be used by anyone else loaned to anyone. if you use any equipment that belongs to someone else one person must have an FFL and they need to put a serial no on it. this includes fixtures, drill press, arbor press, any tooling that is used to make the part. any other work that you do to make the gun is ok just not the part that should have the serial no

Just thought I would let you know that by the new ATF rules any equipment that takes the serialized part from 80% to finish will be required to be done on your own equipment it cannot be used by anyone else loaned to anyone. if you use any equipment that belongs to someone else one person must have an FFL and they need to put a serial no on it. this includes fixtures, drill press, arbor press, any tooling that is used to make the part. any other work that you do to make the gun is ok just not the part that should have the serial no

That's a pretty important note. Any chance you happen to have a reference on that rule for our records?

Here are your ref
18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3)(A) and (B): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM) 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(10): DEFINITIONS (MANUFACTURER) 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11)(B): DEFINITIONS (DEALER) 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(21)(A): DEFINITIONS (ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS) 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(1)(A): LICENSE REQUIRED 18 U.S.C. 923(i): IDENTIFICATION OF FIREARMS 27 CFR 478.92(a): IDENTIFICATION OF FIREARMS

So that rule is pretty easy to circumvent with reason. The ATF has stated that ANY work done to a 80% receiver makes it into a firearm. Drilling one hole crosses the line and it is now no longer a paperweight but is a gun. So As long as the individual creates the firearm (to wit, drill the first hole without others machinery or help) It is now a firearm and there is no restriction about you working on a firearm with a friends help or equipment. Its only creating the firearm that is restricted.

Is this a legal defense? I wouldn't want to to test it, however by the law it makes sense.

Interesting discussion and thread drift. I think the OP's intent was not to put together a build party, but rather test the waters for an ad to sell his tools.

But, it sounds like there is definite interest in a 'build party'. Heck, if the women can have Tupperware and 'lady thing' parties, why can't some guys have an AK build party. Sell them some kits/receivers, bring the tools (each person bring their own drill to get their first piece started, just to keep the ATF happy?). Sounds like a fun evening. Even sounds like something that would be up Contract Pilot's alley. It certainly would be nice to learn from a few folks that have the knowledge about the process and about the tools to make it happen. Assuming it's all legal with the ATF, of course.

You need to look at what the ATF has determined is an 80% receiver, any machining beyond that is what will be the problem, you can do the work your self on tour own equipment with your own tooling, using any tooling or equipment that belongs to anyone else is the problem. you just cant loan the tooling to some one. a quick search and you will find what they say is a 80% receiver.

The other thing about the ATF ruling is it refers to a business. I don't think it has any bearing on a couple of friends who get together and use the same tools.

Last Edited:
The ATF stated if you are making or modifying parts they consider you in the business. they made this rule to keep friends from sharing tools.

I wonder why the ATF would care if friends share tools? People do that all the time for a wide variety of reasons. Just seems like an unnecessary complication for an otherwise completely legal procedure. And yes, I know it's the government, so maybe that's the only answer that's needed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top