JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uh...Lets see... '57, first leave out of MCRD. In my Greens. :rolleyes:
Only problem was with a drunken sailor who thought he should whip my az.:eek:
His buddies drug him away before he fell and hurt himself.. ;)
Girls were pretty. Food was almost as good as Moms.:D
Tequila tastes like kerosene.:p
Came home without any "Bugs".:)

Uh...Lets see... '57, first leave out of MCRD. In my Greens. :rolleyes:
Only problem was with a drunken sailor who thought he should whip my az.:eek:
His buddies drug him away before he fell and hurt himself.. ;)
Girls were pretty. Food was almost as good as Moms.:D
Tequila tastes like kerosene.:p
Came home without any "Bugs".:)

Sweet merciful crap! The 8th street jail. (The notorious "Tijuana Jail") was only 2 years old. If you went there as a civilian, you likely would either go to prison or remain there until someone with enough money to bribe the Cheif Of Police. (La Mordida, or, "The Bite" was alive and well up until the 1990's).

It 1973, the Republic Of Mexico was "off limits" for "boot liberty". I rode the San Diego Metropolitan transit bus to the International and looked over into Mexico. I was smart enough not to violate standing orders.

In 2011, they finally tore down the old 8th Street City Jail. The place was literally falling apart and has rats roaming it the size of harbor rats! (Essentially the size of large cats). Frequently they would chew on the hands and feet of people jailed while sleeping.

Thank God things have changed!

Last Edited:
Went there in 1981 see no reason to go back. Aside from watching my firends haggle for a purse the high light of my dad was buying a couple of bottles of Kalua to hump back across the border.

Been to TJ MANY times and had some good times there. Some of which I remember. I wouldnt have any problem going there but Ive been to places a LOT worse.

The results of going anywhere are mirrored in your conduct. If you go somewhere looking for the "seamy" side of the place, you'll find it. "Know before you go" and act civilized and you're generally going to have a good time. If you seek out trouble... Surprise! You'll find it!

While these were a few incidents of violence in Tijuana from 2006-2009, the Federales have pushed the Drug Lord operation to the east. The Tourist Police that covers the 71 mile stretch from Tijuana to Ensenada, generally dissuade the "bad guys" or "banditos" from victimizing the tourist population along the Northern Baja California Peninsula.

I just maintain a level of "situational awareness" that I would in any large metropolis. I'm anxious to go back and eat authentic Mexican food as it is prepared on the streets and in the great restaurants of the great city.
When I'm in CA I feel like I'm in TJ

This coming from a nation that can't tolerate the culture that they either don't understand or can't share. You can eat red meat, but can't stand to see man and beast face each other.

It's not about killing the bull, but about the dance of death that can go either one way or the other.

Football, basketball, soccer, baseball... No risk of death is involved. They are all about men dressing up in uniforms and playing with balls. Men being paid ridiculous sums of money for a little "rough and tumble" on the field, being paid tons of cash for endorsements. Pansies!

I have seen a Torero gored in the leg, and thrown into the air, only to arise, and dispatch the bull! (I doubt any football player would have the courage to take such a risk).

1455.jpg
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

Ernest Hemingway

There's real truth in what you say. So many people visit the city and act like fools, throwing caution to the winds. I was there in 2010 as well. I'll go again and enjoy the food, the museums (and the Tijuana Museo Cera too). There are so many things to be enjoyed and in clean, respectable ways. You are 100% correct. If you don't act the fool and violate the law, you can have a ball at about 1/4 the cost that people pay in the US for a vacation.

If you go to Rosarito Beach, you can play and eat at a cost that will make everyone in your neighborhood jealous. Right now the exchange rate is 20.46 Pesos to the US Dollar. This makes Everything in Mexico a better value.
As I said elsewhere, I grew up in Stockton, CA. I'm not afraid to go anywhere. I know how to derail trouble, or handle it if I can't. My wife and I were traveling in Mexico near San Luis one evening when we were stopped at a military road block. We both speak enough Spanish to know what's going on, s we knew they were looking for drug smugglers. We just played stupid tourist and kept looking puzzled and saying "No comprende." The 18 year old with the FN FAL got bored and waved us through.

View attachment 330489
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

Ernest Hemingway

I didn't want to quote "Papa" Hemmingway, but there you have it. During the early part of the 20th century, the bullrings in Mexico would pit a bull against a bear and wager on the outcome. (Think about how even that match generally was).

There are also 19th century fur trader accounts of bulls against bears in California as well as Mexico.
Been around for a long time.

I do have say however , Hemmingway was full of that stuff that falls out of a bulls rear end that you try not to step in!
Never cared for that quote or his one about the hunting of armed man.
I think he was one of those frustrated people who never learned to like themselves or others very much.

But as always if you enjoy reading or quoting him , have at it.
Its a big world in some ways and I don't gotta read him if I don't want ... And there is plenty of his writing to go around for those that do.
Andy

Last Edited:
Andy:

Hemmingway was simply "sticking out his literary tongue" at the "civilized" games of modern man. Since football players can sue the team owners for brain injury incurred by playing, there is very little risk involved.

Life is a gamble. Sometimes you lose everything due to chance, sometimes it's lost due to stupidity. The football players make scads of money and then "pee and moan" about how torn up their bodies are. This is why I call them "pansies".

If you die in the Bullring, that's that's "the cost of doing business". No one is at fault. It's a part of life, the chance you take for engaging in the sport. Americans are such "wussies" that everyone else is responsible for the injuries they incur. They can't deal with the eventuality of permanent tissue damage. It the blame must be placed on someone/something else. The player isn't in control of his own physical detriment. (He didn't know what he was doing while signing a sports contract). ;)

When I'm in CA I feel like I'm in TJ
This is the only close post. Most don't seem to realize you have to be in California first to get to TJ. Been there several times, it was okay, but no real bargains, no real fun, I did not care to see donkey shows or anything like that. Just a hassle to cross the border both ways. I can order food, beer, and ask for the bathroom and say I don't like the rain. My dad did not speak Spanish, but he spoke the "Language of the fields" which sounded the same to me. Nothing at all there for me
I won't put a single toe into California.

Captain O,
Well regardless , he has never impressed me.
But luckily the rest of the world is not limited to my likes and dislikes.
So as I said if others enjoy him , have at it.

And now back to Old Mexico! :D

Andy

I visited Agua Prieta, Ensenada, and TJ in the mid 80's. An adventure is the best I could say about that. Shakedowns occurred regularly (long stories....won't bore you). Things have changed some since then, but I still don't feel the need to be near the border. Not much good happens there. The t-shirt isn't worth it.

I've also had great experiences since then in other parts of Mexico. Acapulco, Mazatlan (2x), and La Paz were fantastic. I stayed at the tourist hotels but ventured deep into the cities to find small restaurants for food and beer (out-friggin-standing!). The big restaurants werent much different than the ones here. The locals will let you know what areas you need to avoid (ask and have a map in hand). They will also point you to the best mom and pop restaurants. It's not much different than any other US city. Keep your head on a swivel, don't get stupid drunk, and don't be a bubblegum.

I never have my head implanted firmly up my rectal orifice. I never go outside at night, and I don't like to venture outside my motel/hotel room until well after sunrise. I dislike bars (having no use for them, I can't see the point in going into them).

I look for good food, museums, intellectually-oriented attractions, and excellent bargains. I know the difference between "kitsch" and collectibles. (Occasionally, they are one and the same).

Having visited the city more than 3 times and walking quite a bit of it, I know where I should go, and the places to be avoided. The Zona Norte (prostitution district) is one such neighborhood.

Last time I patronized prostitutes in Tijuana no one had ever heard of AIDS. Puked a few strawberry margaritas on top of her head in the back booth of a skanky bar. Got in a fight in the street with 40 other people with fists flying all over the place when she started screaming like a shot cow. Good times.

Coming back through the border my buddy from Spain lost his green card and the border guys wouldnt let him in so we had to sneak through a tunnel like something in a Cheech and Chong movie . Oh to be 17 again.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top