JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
download.jpg

If you have walked Avenida Revolucion (Revolution Avenue) in Tijuana, you'll see the "Zonkeys" posed on the street for photographs. These are primarily for tourists and have "Tijuana" and the current year painted on the backdrop for the photographer. The "Zonkeys" are painted donkeys and a thriving tourist industry.

In a secondary reference, the city's soccer team is known as "The Zonkeys", named after the painted donkeys for wich the city has become known.

I have a friend that owns a villa overlooking the ocean in La Bufadora. He claims there is no danger to foreigners. I guess I'm just a chickensh*t cuz I don't wanna go down there anymore. Used to go to TJ in the 70s when I lived in San Diego... best damn family style carnitas that I've ever had. Can't find that anywhere in Oregon.

If anyone knows what a "zonkey" is and has seen one, let me know.

Yup, Javier's photo cart.
On the corner, 2 blocks north of the Jai-Alai palace on Revelucion...

I grew up in San Diego.
Went to TJ more times than I can count.
It's a diverse city, and now a bit less dangerous than in the late 2000s.
The shopping center next to the cultural museum is more local than anything else.
The cultural museum is fantastic.
Playas is good. But for really good food, surf, go to K39 on the coast road.
Saw Santana at the bull ring. What a show.
Woudn't see bullfighting if you paid me. Just not my thing.

Border TJ that tourists see is not TJ where folks live.

I have a friend that owns a villa overlooking the ocean in La Bufadora. He claims there is no danger to foreigners. I guess I'm just a chickensh*t cuz I don't wanna go down there anymore. Used to go to TJ in the 70s when I lived in San Diego... best damn family style carnitas that I've ever had. Can't find that anywhere in Oregon.

You can not find real Mexican food with the same flavors anywhere in Oregon.
I've been looking since I moved here in 1996.

You can not find real Mexican food with the same flavors anywhere in Oregon.
I've been looking since I moved here in 1996.

And people wonder why I love the flavors of Tijuana! Evidently, you remember how the food in Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada are far different from the food served in the USA. The ingredients are slightly different, due to their source, providing different flavors.

Remember, Mexican food tastes best with dysentery!

Said by someone that has contracted it on a number of occasions.

Truth be told, the new "Garita Chapparal" (Port of Entry) and new civic improvements have virtually eliminated the problems with disease. In 2011 the latest improvements to the International Wastewater Treatment Facility that had been built in 1997 have improved the city's sanitation. This development has arranged for the city's old plumbing to handle everything that had been the norm in the US for more than a century.

Things do improve/change... unlike people that live in the past.

I get enough life and death at work. I've seen someone's s head look like a deflated balloon with his brains spread on the pavement. I don't need any more blood, especially for "sport". Their culture may value that and it's their right I guess, but it certainly doesn't mean I have to patronize it.
I remember glancing at the front page of various Mexican periodicals or daily occasionally and asking myself "what the f planet am I from?". the planet of the sensitized snowflake where not even a bloody tampon is shown to the masses.

Too far to travel to buy cheap tacos. They even have ta kill ya in Idaho !
My buddy goes south of there. Drives. And hardly goes anywhere unarmed. But he feels completely safe in his travels down there
And I say good for him.
Not for me. New sanitation or not

In 2007 I was standing in line at US Customs (well south of the Old Customs House at the San Ysidro Port Of Entry) and watched the Tourist Police interviewing two older ladies from the US. One of the two "bad guys" they had in the back of their cruiser began suffering from a severe case of "smart mouth". One of the cops reached in and slapped the living snot out of him!

The Tourist Police aren't tolerating any guff from the local scum. The City of Tijuana wants to protect one of its biggest sources of income... the tourist trade!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top