JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really enjoyed the little traveling music bands playing to the sidewalk bar patrons in Santa Cruz and I enjoyed Tampa Chula too but that was the mid seventies.

If you are serious maybe look at going to the Caribbean side of Mexico instead of Tijuana. We took a cruise ship and we landed on an island of Cozumel. We then took the ferry to mainland Mexico and went to see the Mayan Ruins of Tulum. We also took the Atlantis submarine ride on Cozumel and the sub goes down 100' or so. It was still light at 100' so I took quite a few pictures in the submarine.

View attachment 364431 View attachment 364432 View attachment 364433

I couldn't afford the fare to travel to the east side if I wanted. A round-trip fare will cost about $114.00 to ride the Amtrak to San Diego from Portland The San Diego Trolley runs about $5.00 and I can stay at the world famous Hotel Caesar for about $40.00 per night. Bullfight tickets run about $50.00 and food in the small restaurants usually costs about $25.00 daily. The entire excursion will cost about $650.00 all told. (including incidentals).

I doubt anyone can beat that.

I have absolutely no desire to travel outside the US. If I can't go armed I don't have business going there. There are far too many beautiful places here in the US that I would love to visit.

I don't trust anywhere outside the US.
And actually several places in the US.
Frankly, I'm all in favor of spending my hard-earned money here in the USA - eff Mexico - the POTUS is right - the unabated illegal immigration problem is grave and the idiocy of declaring "sanctuary cities" is an affront to those of us who respect the law of the land.

There a plenty of authentic Mexican food places in this country, esp. in So Cal

Things have changed in 21 years. I don't go into bars and I don't use street drugs. The "powers that be" in the city had lost business from 2008-2009. They lost so much that they couldn't afford to lose any more so they clamped down on the "lawless" element in the city.

Take my word for it, the Tourist Police take protecting the tourist population very seriously!
I still wouldn't go, and I still have roots in SoCal - I will, however, take a fishing boat from San Diego and go into Mexican waters for game fishing. I just don't like the dirty cities and the risk of being accosted by banditos or "crooked" Federales. As I stated before, too many fine places to visit in this country and Canada to spend my vacation dollars.

I couldn't afford the fare to travel to the east side if I wanted. A round-trip fare will cost about $114.00 to ride the Amtrak to San Diego from Portland The San Diego Trolley runs about $5.00 and I can stay at the world famous Hotel Caesar for about $40.00 per night. Bullfight tickets run about $50.00 and food in the small restaurants usually costs about $25.00 daily. The entire excursion will cost about $650.00 all told. (including incidentals).

I doubt anyone can beat that.
I agree that the price is alluring - but all it takes is for one thing to go wrong, and you're stuck in a Mexican jail with no recourse and no "civil rights"

This coming from a nation that can't tolerate the culture that they either don't understand or can't share. You can eat red meat, but can't stand to see man and beast face each other.

It's not about killing the bull, but about the dance of death that can go either one way or the other.

Football, basketball, soccer, baseball... No risk of death is involved. They are all about men dressing up in uniforms and playing with balls. Men being paid ridiculous sums of money for a little "rough and tumble" on the field, being paid tons of cash for endorsements. Pansies!

I have seen a Torero gored in the leg, and thrown into the air, only to arise, and dispatch the bull! (I doubt any football player would have the courage to take such a risk).
Football players are pansies compared to hockey players and soccer players

I still wouldn't go, and I still have roots in SoCal - I will, however, take a fishing boat from San Diego and go into Mexican waters for game fishing. I just don't like the dirty cities and the risk of being accosted by banditos or "crooked" Federales. As I stated before, too many fine places to visit in this country and Canada to spend my vacation dollars.

Then you had best avoid San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York City. San Francisco is toilet city. Evidently you haven't been there is some time.

Frankly, I'm all in favor of spending my hard-earned money here in the USA - eff Mexico - the POTUS is right - the unabated illegal immigration problem is grave and the idiocy of declaring "sanctuary cities" is an affront to those of us who respect the law of the land.

Frankly, I don't like Los Angeles California at all. It is as bad, or worse than the slums on the southern edge of Tijuana.

Then you had best avoid San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York City. San Francisco is toilet city. Evidently you haven't been there is some time.

Downtown LA is slightly better - if I'm going there, it's to see a Kings or Dodgers game, or to attend a play at the LA Music Center

But CA in general is the laughingstock of the rest of the union - they (CA citizens) are just not in on the joke

Generally, when I want to visit someplace other than my home area, it is not to visit a city or to meet people, it is to visit a rural or even less populated area. Besides the fact that I am borderline Aspergers and don't enjoy being around people a lot, I much prefer the open outdoors (forests, etc.) to urban or suburban areas.

As it is, I am increasingly disliking going into PDX to work there - the traffic is usually horrible and then having to work in an office wears on me. This week I setup my hours such that I worked half a day from home on Friday. Without having to deal with people, and then being able to go outside and putz around in my yard and forest, I am already feeling much better.

In my humble opinion, the US of A has "priced itself out of the 'tourism market'.

I agree that the price is alluring - but all it takes is for one thing to go wrong, and you're stuck in a Mexican jail with no recourse and no "civil rights"

What are, or would you be, doing to attract attention from law enforcement? These days, they are increasingly aware of the negative press about the area.

I'll be on foot, and in taxis. Unless they're into harassing taxi drivers I'll probably be safer than in Los Angeles.

When was the last time you were there? I was there in 2010.

What are, or would you be, doing to attract attention from law enforcement? These days, they are increasingly aware of the negative press about the area.

It could be anything. Mexico is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. If you have someone who has a beef with you, it is not that hard for them to pay someone in Mexican LE to arrest you on a false charge.

It is also not unknown for drug traffickers to hide drugs in your luggage/vehicle for you to unknowingly transport back into the USA.

Generally, most tourists don't have problems (my parents never did and they visited Baja a lot), but if you do have a problem, then you cen get into deep doo doo real quick.

It could be anything. Mexico is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. If you have someone who has a beef with you, it is not that hard for them to pay someone in Mexican LE to arrest you on a false charge.

It is also not unknown for drug traffickers to hide drugs in your luggage/vehicle for you to unknowingly transport back into the USA.

Generally, most tourists don't have problems (my parents never did and they visited Baja a lot), but if you do have a problem, then you acan get into deep doo-doo real quick.

I repeat myself at the risk of being misunderstood... I walk across the border, take taxis and accompany my luggage in my hotel/motel room. I do NOT go to the Zona Norte (prostitution zone), nor do I drink. I don't go into "questionable" areas. There's nothing worth going to jail/prison over.

Please stop addressing me as if I were either 12-years-old or a doddering old fool.

Thank you.

Some of my family members still live in Sacramento, CA so I visit once or twice a year. I have not traveled to see anything in CA for a long time. When we were living we say almost everything and drove pretty much every where back when we lived there. San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Sea Ranch, San Simeon for Hurst Castle. Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara. and visited Yosemite park. I haven't traveled to mountain areas in Southern California. But we saw most of the Sierra Nevada mountains in northern to central California and to Mount Lassen and hiked to Bumppass Hell trail in my younger days. Visited Lake Tahoe quite a bit since my aunt and uncle from bay area would rent a condo for a few weeks every year. Swimming and water skiing in those days too. California was quite nice in my childhood and young adult days.

This was like 18 year's ago but my brother and his friend were robbed down there by a taxi driver and his friends took money and gold jewelry but that is there fault you don't go get drunk in another country with your gold chains and rings and a pocket full of cash mmmmmm I guess they learned more than UCSD COULD TEACH THEM

This was like 18 year's ago but my brother and his friend were robbed down there by a taxi driver and his friends took money and gold jewelry but that is there fault you don't go get drunk in another country with your gold chains and rings and a pocket full of cash mmmmmm I guess they learned more than UCSD COULD TEACH THEM

That was a fool stunt. You're right, going into a foreign nation with gold chains hanging off your neck while carrying large amounts of currency in your pockets is just begging to be subject to strong-armed robbery.

That happens.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads