JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buying ammo when you can is always a good idea....Never know when the next panic will set in...and its nice to have ammo to share with a new shooter.

Can't afford to buy in bulk or to start up reloading...I am in that boat...
Buy a box or two when you can...with hunting season upon us , shotgun ammo is often seen at "sale" prices...
Maybe skip that coffee drink and put that money towards a box of ammo.
Andy

1. As a result, I've started a slow stockpiling of 9mm ammo about a month ago. Is anyone else thinking like me and slowly stockpiling?

2. And so what do you all think is an adequate practical amount of ammo to store up? 1,000 rounds? 5,000 rounds? Is there a realistic limit for any of you?

3. And what other items should we obtain in preparation? Magazines?

I was curious as to what all of you ammo and reloading enthusiasts thought about this. Thanks to everyone for answering in advance.

Stocking up on anything you all use, while the price is low, is always a good idea. It's an even better idea when whatever it is has an extended or indefinite shelf life.

-First, don't go into debt!-

Figure out what you enjoy shooting, and how much you enjoy doing so in whatever calibers.

Folks shooting "recreationally" every once in a while wont have as much of a "want" vs folks shooting "practical**" twice (or more) per week.

Stock up on consumables first, while the inventory is available, and the price is low. Ammunition, magazines, small parts are all consumables. Components for reloading as well. All have an indefinite shelf life.

If you don't reload, then yah, stock up on ammunition now.

If you don't reload, but are thinking you might at some point, then include components for reloading in your purchase plan. Primers, powder & projectiles. Save all of your brass. Keep an eye out for used reloading gear now, but focus on components.

**"Practical" shooting folks should focus more weighted on reloading stock, because once the next blight hits (and it will), pricing of manufactured ammunition will skyrocket as available inventory plummets. "Practical" folks whom don't reload, simply will not be able to enjoy the sport.

Recreational shooting folks "could" stock up enough ammunition, now, to continue enjoying an occasional outing. But for how long?

Also, always include a bit of .22lr ammunition whenever you buy centerfire (if you don't have "enough" allready). When the blight hits, you can still enjoy shooting, but it may be more .22 with a little centerfire practice.

We don't shoot shotguns, hardly. If we did, or had an interest in getting into such, then I'd also fold in shotgun reloading into our purchase plan...

It all seems complicated, but honestly it isn't. Once you figure out what your needs vs wants are...

Last Edited:
I don't stock pile per say. I keep one 50 cal ammo can full of ammo per caliber. Of course if I was on the news and they showed the 18 ammo cans of ammo........ I don't stock up to shoot forever, I'm more worried about having to grab and go. All that being said, I'm an ammunition manufacture so I make lots of ammo in general. Kate Brown and the dem-full-o-craps are my best salesmen and business is good.

Depends on what you are preparing for and how much you shoot.

I am a prepper so I have a certain minimum for defensive firearms vs hunting firearms.

I try to have the common cartridges - 9mm, .357 mag, etc.

At the other end - maximum, there is none - the only things to consider are space and weight. Whatever happens in the future, no matter how few guns or how little ammo you have, when the anti-gunners come for it, you can count on the media to call it an arsenal of weapons and a stockpile of ammo.

So get what you feel comfortable with.

And BTW - stocking up now means you are late to the game - been doing it for decades, getting more diligent about it for the last few years.

Works if everything uses one "common denominator" load... the idea with those stages is that hopefully if you go through that many mags somebody's had time to top a few empties off from the clips, then refill the clips from the bulk. :)
Then I'm doing alright!
I even have the mag loader for the job, but I doubt she'd like me to call her that. :s0114:

I would, but my life savings is tied up in beanie babies. I'm going to be rich bubblegum.

Good call on the Beanies! We went heavy into Tickle Me Elmo's, and lost everything!!

Off topic humor aside, the OP's questions are absolutely prudent for all. More-so for folks getting into the shooting sports now, not having experienced blight & inflated pricing.

But the answers, as always, revolve around "it depends..."

Democrats have been poking and prodding at ways to make our lives miserable for 100 years. The number of political experiences you have had with this depends on your age. For me, as a young boy in my teens, it started with the 1968 GCA. The next bad apples to come my way were the Clintons, and it's gotten progressively worse and more frequent. If you stop and think about it, Obama had even more tools at his disposal to wreck havoc. A world wide recession made raw manufacturing materials scarcer and more expensive. Everything to make ammunition went sky high, and people were buying up whatever they could find, damn the cost. A box of 375 H&H factory ammo that cost me $17 twenty-five years ago now costs upwards of $75. Many unsavory bretheren bought up ammo of all sorts and then took it to gun shows to gouge us. Remember those bricks of 22 Long Rifle for $80??? How about AR's?? Just because they had it and you didn't.

I rarely purchase factory loads. I have hand loaded my entire life. I have accumulated firearms my entire life as a hobby, I hunt, target shoot, and I practice self defense. I ALWAYS keep a good supply of primers, powders, bullets and brass on hand. Watch the political winds closely.

Now, if you don't handload, you have two choices. You can buy up ammo until you have what you THINK you need, and sit on it. Or you can go out and shoot it all up. Or, you can hand load. Sure, I keep a stock of loading components on hand, and I regularly purchase more to replace what I expend. The summer of 2016, with the very real possibility of getting a Hillary Clinton elected, you can bet I spent some money on stuff I didn't need at that moment. It was reasonably priced, and available.

Human nature is to have really short memories. Look at the last great ammo panic shortage. Most of us know that was not the first time. Will not be the last time. Look how long it took to get .22 ammo in "normal supply again". I am sure many have gone back to buying it when they want to shoot again. I used to keep 10K of the stuff. Now it's 20. For center fire stuff I keep a case or so but also have a LOT of the stuff to roll more if I have to. Stored well it will outlive everyone here.
As mentioned you don't need to put it on credit. As DB said, use one box, buy 2. Do this until you have enough to last a year or so if needed. Price of the stuff right now you are buying at the low end. It's not going to suddenly get cheaper and leave you sorry.

Confining this discussion strictly to rifles, here's the "Panic Proof Prepping" framework I'm working up in an article for Redstate. The building blocks are in terms of "Basic Combat Loads" (BCL)--seven loaded mags, 21 stripper-clips or 210 loose rounds. On this chart, it's more important to "build out than down"--three shooters with three rifles and two BCL's each beats one guy with one rifle and a ton of ammo.

1. A rifle with one set of load-bearing gear and one BCL of full magazines for each able-bodied adult in the house, with one additional BCL of loaded mags each in a drag-bag that goes with the rifle anytime it leaves the house. All rifles should be a common caliber and action type.
2. For each rifle, two BCL's of loaded mags in an ammo can.
3. For each rifle, four BCL's of stripper clips in an ammo can, and one can with two BCL's of empty magazines.
4. For each rifle, four BCL's of bulk ammo in an ammo can.
5. For each rifle, one sealed factory case of bulk ammo.

Still working on it, haven't even touched handguns and training yet.
The above is based on a team effort - that is trained. This concept is great if you have military or police backgrounds (or lots of training) but the reality is that you need to have ammo stored somewhere. You can store it in caches throughout your AOR or at safe houses. But a combat load doesn't last very long if forced to provide cover fire more than once. Single aimed shots is very hard to enforce, especially for those not used to combat.
The stored ammo above and the hundred mags gets a bit expensive, but a good idea.
BUGGING OUT - I am a big non bugging out guy - leaving your area means that you are having to look for cover and concealment. If bugging to another location that is good, but I feel you should prepare in place. Of course, depending on where you live, it depends on what is required. I live in the country and actually my defensive capabilities are fine for mindless zombies, but a semi-determined small force would be able to come at me from several directions. Obviously I need to invite friends to bug out to me.
However, remember enough food and water.

I've always stayed very much on top of and ahead, on my ammo reserves. Not because of a shortage necessarily, but just because I use a lot of ammo and it's the prudent thing to do.

Then, when we do have a shortage, I've got plenty.:s0133:

As a sidenote... I was 15 when the GCA 68 took effect, and caused folks to sign for ammo purchases. My neighbor, my first big gun mentor, who spent his earlier life in Montana at the turn of the century, and later worked in and out of Alaska, wasn't about to stand for any of this invasion of gun and ammo laws. He marched right down to the local second-hand store and bought out all their .22 ammo. Must've been 6 boxes.:eek: That's how it all started, for me.:D

Last Edited:
GCA 68 took effect, and caused folks to sign for ammo purchases.
a year or 2 earlier in Idaho, signing for 22 ammo became State law.
That lasted a few years until the LEO agency heads dumped sacks full of thousands of pounds of worthless signed forms in the hive of the legislators one session. (Geez....that was a HALF CENTURY ago)

Yes the 70s count..as the 40s,50s on up..
Human nature is to have really short memories. Look at the last great ammo panic shortage. Most of us know that was not the first time. Will not be the last time. Look how long it took to get .22 ammo in "normal supply again". I am sure many have gone back to buying it when they want to shoot again. I used to keep 10K of the stuff. Now it's 20. For center fire stuff I keep a case or so but also have a LOT of the stuff to roll more if I have to. Stored well it will outlive everyone here.
As mentioned you don't need to put it on credit. As DB said, use one box, buy 2. Do this until you have enough to last a year or so if needed. Price of the stuff right now you are buying at the low end. It's not going to suddenly get cheaper and leave you sorry.
I agree...Use one, buy two. I've noticed since WallyWorld has left the community, ammo has gone up slightly. Keep in mind(Liberal)Gov in one sweep can take your ammo calling it public safety, or whatever excuse they need. They can also regulate gunpowder/primers/lead/shells....
Bottom line...Be prepared, keep your powder dry, don't store all your eggs in one basket, & do not vote DemonRat.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top