JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OP you're late to the party but at least starting to get on board. Yes, buy ammo. And guns. And mags. And body armor...

Since I've owned guns starting during the Clinton "AWB" I've observed state or federal restrictions or impediments including:
* Magazine capacity
* Ammo types (non-lead), non-penetrating
* Gun styles and designs
* Arbitrary feature bans
* Location of possession bans (schools, churches, X number of feet from...)
* Arbitrary taxes on guns and ammo
* Shipping restrictions and common carriers ending transit
* Growing list of "cannot be shipped to CA, HI, NY, IL, CT, MD, MA, CO, NJ....etc.
* Internet purchase taxes
* Spikes (up and down) in prices due to supply and demand shocks
* Laws passed and repealed on guns and ammo
* Companies stop carrying guns and ammo (Sears, Kmart, Walmart, Dicks, etc.)
* Pointless waiting periods
* Pointless state IDs for permission to buy guns or ammo
* Magazine bans down to as low as 8 rounds
* Bans on online ammo ordering (I think in CA)

Basically, if you want it now or think you might want it in your lifetime, now is the time to buy it.

Last Edited:
OP you're late to the party but at least starting to get on board. Yes, buy ammo.

Since I've owned guns starting during the Clinton "AWB" I've observed state or federal restrictions or impediments including:
* Magazine capacity
* Ammo types (non-lead), non-penetrating
* Gun styles and designs
* Arbitrary feature bans
* Location of possession bans (schools, churches, X number of feet from...)
* Arbitrary taxes on guns and ammo
* Shipping restrictions and common carriers ending transit
* Growing list of "cannot be shipped to CA, HI, NY, IL, CT, MD, MA, CO, NJ....etc.
* Internet purchase taxes
* Spikes (up and down) in prices due to supply and demand shocks
* Laws passed and repealed on guns and ammo
* Companies stop carrying guns and ammo (Sears, Kmart, Walmart, Dicks, etc.)

Basically, if you want it now or think you might want it in your lifetime, now is the time to buy it.
WELL STATED INDEED!!

Yes the 70s count..as the 40s,50s on up..

I agree...Use one, buy two. I've noticed since WallyWorld has left the community, ammo has gone up slightly. Keep in mind(Liberal)Gov in one sweep can take your ammo calling it public safety, or whatever excuse they need. They can also regulate gunpowder/primers/lead/shells....
Bottom line...Be prepared, keep your powder dry, don't store all your eggs in one basket, & do not vote DemonRat.
Bi-Mart is my go-to ammo supplier, fair pricing and doesn't limit quantity anymore. However, running into issues with their supply as we are only 6 miles from the California border and 26 miles north of Crescent City. The "crossing guards" at the CA border don't stop vehicles. Imagine how much ammo, mj (don't believe Crescent City is set up to sell marijuana yet) and other tax free stuff heads south? Bi-Mart seems to always be out of my favorite .357 ammo.

Considering the Anti's now run Washington and Oregon, and gun laws only seem to move in one direction. I think its more likely than not, that they will try to ban internet ammo sales, make ammo sales go through an FFL, limit quantity, etc. Walmart, dicks, fred meyer, etc. have made it clear where they stand. Gun shops are going away, due to 1639. Ammo could get expensive and hard to get.:( Hopefully gun owners will take this into consideration when its time to vote.

As for me, Im pretty well stocked. We're talkin a new, full 50 box of 22lr, half box .38 special, couple boxes of bird shot and two 12 gauge slugs. ;)

Considering the Anti's now run Washington and Oregon, and gun laws only seem to move in one direction. I think its more likely than not, that they will try to ban internet ammo sales, make ammo sales go through an FFL, limit quantity, etc. Walmart, dicks, fred meyer, etc. have made it clear where they stand. Gun shops are going away, due to 1639. Ammo could get expensive and hard to get.:( Hopefully gun owners will take this into consideration when its time to vote.

As for me, Im pretty well stocked. We're talkin a new, full 50 box of 22lr, half box .38 special, couple boxes of bird shot and two 12 gauge slugs. ;)
[/QUOT
Only a matter of time before those States decide how much ammo you can have in your possession.

I am not intentionally stockpiling ammo but since I shop more than I shoot, I stockpile ammo:) Hopefully that will change since I started my 2 month abstinence period for firearm related shopping.

Yes the 70s count..as the 40s,50s on up..

I agree...Use one, buy two. I've noticed since WallyWorld has left the community, ammo has gone up slightly. Keep in mind(Liberal)Gov in one sweep can take your ammo calling it public safety, or whatever excuse they need. They can also regulate gunpowder/primers/lead/shells....
Bottom line...Be prepared, keep your powder dry, don't store all your eggs in one basket, & do not vote DemonRat.
I take it you guys up there can still buy online? If so I get my stuff cheaper on line than even the Wally's here. Been using SG ammo for a while now. CCI Mini Mag 22's have been $6 a sleeve for a while. Wally wants over a buck more for the same ammo at least here. To get the most out of it I of course buy case lots but anyone who does not want to do that? Just get a buddy to go in with you. Screw Wally they can virtue signal all they want. :D

Bi-Mart is my go-to ammo supplier, fair pricing and doesn't limit quantity anymore. However, running into issues with their supply as we are only 6 miles from the California border and 26 miles north of Crescent City. The "crossing guards" at the CA border don't stop vehicles. Imagine how much ammo, mj (don't believe Crescent City is set up to sell marijuana yet) and other tax free stuff heads south? Bi-Mart seems to always be out of my favorite .357 ammo.

The CA legislature will probably enact a new law, to stop Govt trade with OR. You know.....because OR is supplying ammo to CA citizens.

If CA can do this: California adds Iowa to 'travel ban' over refusal to fund gender transitions

Then, why not for ammo sales?

Aloha, Mark

Banned_in_CA.jpg

I take it you guys up there can still buy online? If so I get my stuff cheaper on line than even the Wally's here. Been using SG ammo for a while now. CCI Mini Mag 22's have been $6 a sleeve for a while. Wally wants over a buck more for the same ammo at least here. To get the most out of it I of course buy case lots but anyone who does not want to do that? Just get a buddy to go in with you. Screw Wally they can virtue signal all they want. :D
Check out LAX ammunition GOOD PEOPLE...Ironically & Laughingly...It comes from CA

I have stockpiled. I have 45ACP, 38 special, 9mm, 22 lr, 5.56, 308, 300 BO. there are also a couple of boxes of 380, 40, and 7x57. I keep a 1000 cases of 5.56, 45acp and 380. Several boxes of bullets, cans of powder, boxes of primers. I don't shoot much anymore so what I buy goes into the stockpile. I saw a good buy on 12ga 00, so I picked up a case.
If the political trends continue, we will probably have a shooting war in the next 5 years. I hope I'm around that long. Since I live in the NW desert, east of the Cascade Mtns all my ammo and powder is kept dry and cool.

I have stockpiled. I have 45ACP, 38 special, 9mm, 22 lr, 5.56, 308, 300 BO. there are also a couple of boxes of 380, 40, and 7x57. I keep a 1000 cases of 5.56, 45acp and 380. Several boxes of bullets, cans of powder, boxes of primers. I don't shoot much anymore so what I buy goes into the stockpile. I saw a good buy on 12ga 00, so I picked up a case.
If the political trends continue, we will probably have a shooting war in the next 5 years. I hope I'm around that long. Since I live in the NW desert, east of the Cascade Mtns all my ammo and powder is kept dry and cool.
You would make a Great Neighbor!!

Stockpile is such a derogatory word.

I like to prefer to it as a gathering.

Ya, a peaceful gathering of metals that are hurting no one and simply want to exist in harmony with my home and inhabitants.

In my crawl space, attic, closets, garage, pantry, misc unused drawers, etc.

Actually, my ammo and such, is currently working with the government to be re-gendered as "insulation" as that's what it defines itself as.

It certainly does not like being called "arsenal" or "stockpile" among other violent hateful words.

Please, for the love of ammunition, cough, insulation, I apologize, be aware of your wording.

;)

I know this may seem like a political posting but it actually is not. After having seen the gun discussions among the Democratic presidential candidates at the debates and hearing their stances, I wondered if a rainy day for us gun owners are coming. Whether you think one of these candidates will will next year or not, American politics have always gone back and forth between the two parties in our country's history. In other words, the Democrats will regain their power sometime in the future whether they will win next year or not.

When that happens, I can see another post Sandy Hook-like dark days of incredible ammo drought. I got into guns about 3 months before Sandy Hook. I was shocked how after Sandy Hook, even 9mm ammo was scarce as well as Glock 19 magazines that held 15 rounds. Never mind 22LR ammo. My beginner enthusiasm crashed into the realities of no ammo and price gauging. I was caught completely unprepared. I swore I would never be in that position again.
1. As a result, I've started a slow stockpiling of 9mm ammo about a month ago. Is anyone else thinking like me and slowly stockpiling?

2. And so what do you all think is an adequate practical amount of ammo to store up? 1,000 rounds? 5,000 rounds? Is there a realistic limit for any of you?

3. And what other items should we obtain in preparation? Magazines?

I was curious as to what all of you ammo and reloading enthusiasts thought about this. Thanks to everyone for answering in advance.

You are not alone. I live in Commie-fornia. If a demon-rat replaces Trump they will do their utmost to eliminate the 2nd amendment or make it more difficult to buy guns/ammo. Before they had the laws in effect in Cal, many including myself stockpiled ammo. If nothing else, when you try to take something away from people, they want more of it. Demon-rats have never learned that. Prohibition is a perfect example. All it did was make certain people rich and foster a lot of organized crime.

Stockpile is such a derogatory word.

I like to prefer to it as a gathering.

Ya, a peaceful gathering of metals that are hurting no one and simply want to exist in harmony with my home and inhabitants.

In my crawl space, attic, closets, garage, pantry, misc unused drawers, etc.

Actually, my ammo and such, is currently working with the government to be re-gendered as "insulation" as that's what it defines itself as.

It certainly does not like being called "arsenal" or "stockpile" among other violent hateful words.

Please, for the love of ammunition, cough, insulation, I apologize, be aware of your wording.

;)
LOL...Where would America be without a sense of humor?
Myself l'm collector copper & brass shiny stuff & do not care for corrosion. Take Care

YUP! Got sorta caught out in 2009 not being able to feed my habit, so I have been stocking up since then! I would hate to have to move it all now! :s0140:
Prolly a no joke FULL pickup load, and Still, I keep adding! Mostly Hand Loads, but still, that's a LOT of ammo!
If I had to leave in a great big hurry, you all can have what is left over! :D

A lot of good suggestions. I'd add one, primarily for people who are considering moving soon (next year, next 5 years?)...

(sorry, Ura-Ki just posted the move reminder while I was typing this)...

As someone who has had to move with a decent ammo supply, I'd advise practical limits. If you're planning on moving soon, do you have a good plan for how to relocate your supply? For some, they take no stock of what all you have to fit into that truck, and some distances are not practical for multiple moves. Some shippers will not put your ammo on their trucks, so you are doing it yourself.

If you have no plan, some things to think about are can you get by until then or move some ahead of time to friendlies in the area of your new destination?

As to the other suggestions, I second these:

* Reload. If you don't, save your (boxer) brass anyway for the day you either do reload or to contribute to someone who does (trade or relationship building, etc.). I didn't have the space to reload where I was for a good while, but saved every piece of brass I could for the day (now) where I can - yep, had to move that too, but glad I did. Save calibers you don't even shoot right now. Don't shirk the 'eh, 9mm is so cheap'. Yes, it is *now*, so shoot the 1000-round cases you just bought first, but keep your brass cases after firing. It will not likely stay cheap, as many others here have stated. What that threshold is for reloading a given caliber can be a complicated formula for people (cost vs. time), but factors will change and a big one: 'availability', which many don't think of right now, will enter into this, so better to have 1-2K+ of empty cases, dies and sufficient components to reload it if that cost-benefit analysis shifts for you.

* Do not forget your defensive ammunition. Many people do this. They go for the 1000-round cases of FMJ and forget to save money for a few boxes of HPs. Then you need to practice at least occasionally with them in your gun(s) to verify POA hasn't shifted vs. your FMJ. I try to shoot a mag of it in my carry gun every range trip. Sometimes the different pressures (ie. some is +P) will throw you off some, so you gotta be ready for what that ammo will do to your shots when you need to use it.

* Carry, if you are able. Beyond the obvious reasons, it'll also make you more likely to practice (and you'll be more keen to remember those HPs).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top