Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Intruder shot dead by store employee

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by servingu, Apr 15, 2011.

1. servingu

servingu Vancouver (not BC) WA (not DC) Member

A man who broke into a Georgetown business Thursday night was shot dead by a store employee and a second intruder was held at gun point until police could arrive.

Two men who broke into the Sharp's Outdoor Power Equipment store just after 11:30 p.m. were confronted by a store employee, said Jeff Kappel with Seattle police.

The employee shot one of the intruders and held the other at gun point until police arrived. :thumbup:

The wounded intruder was pronounced dead at the scene in the 5900 block of 4th Avenue South, and officers took the surviving intruder into custody.

Police are interviewing the employee to sort out what happened. The intruders have not yet been identified.

Intruder shot dead by store employee | 911 | Georgetown News

2. servingu

servingu Vancouver (not BC) WA (not DC) Member

Bad guys are missing 1 could have been 2 but the surviving bad guy got smart quick...

3. brianjronk

brianjronk Marysville, WA Active Member

I love when the good guys win

4. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Bring on the civil lawsuits!

5. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

Bring on the civil lawsuits!
    THis is why we need legislation that shields people who defend themselves from frivolous lawsuits

6. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I have to agree with this, If the shooting is Justified, then the lawsuits should be voided.

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Several other states have such and all that's needed is to model state law after them

8. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

I also agree but unfortunately not every situation is the same. So these intruders weren't armed right...Is it legal to shoot unarmed robbers breaking into a business? does that fall under the castle law or what? You no longer have to feel your life is in danger to shoot them? These are serious Q's I don't know the answer too...be nice

9. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Cops say it was self-defence, so looks like the perps were armed.

10. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

got it. But can you legally shoot an unarmed burgler that is inside your home with your DVD player in hand? I wouldn't do it for moral reasons but I'm wondering if its legal. I thought I read a while back the castle law is iffy but it does cover this type of senario. I thought I read a story about a guy in Keizer shooting a young car stereo thief in his drive way and he got acquited too

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

2 vs one is mass attack.. plus the very act of breaking in is a violent felony. I have a wife to protect and so me go boom boom and will sleep well

12. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You can but the DVD player has to be over his head in a treatening manor. Either way I can assure you he would be putting the DVD player down and not exiting my house with it. Well unless I was looking for an upgrade from the insurance money.

13. xm193

can you legally shoot an unarmed burgler that is inside your home with your DVD player in hand

when i come upon him and he is twenty and im 65 and im holding a gun,what am i gone to do give him a chance to disarm me?

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I would guess,having been in a "power store" that there was plenty of weapons (ie: axes,hammers,various bladed tools,chains,shovels,rakes,forked tools,etc) to injure or kill someone.

Off topic,did y'all know that most of the weapons in martial arts were actually tools that the Okinawa farmers learned to defend themselves with?

Plus as BK said multiple intruders that just BROKE in.

I'm sure he isn't sleeping great,but I hope he knows he was justified in his actions

BTW, I would guess the people that say they would "sleep well" after a shooting,have never actually shot someone. Ask a war vet how long it takes to "sleep well"

15. mjbskwim

I don't care how old you are,in Seatac I just guessing you are justified.

16. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

yea... in oregon, anyway. i dont know what the WA law looks like. but in OR, we have a bona fide castle doctrine.

BS. the statute does not make any stipulation- if somebody is committing the crime of burglary, you can blast his ***, and you're under no obligation to establish that you were threatened.

google "ORS 161.219"

17. mjbskwim

See the guy was ballsy enough to not give a fornication if YOU might be armed or not.Just go right in.
    Does that seem like the thinking of o rash human being? Not caring if he will get shot or not?

This is all a "catch 22". Since I have a gun,I can not let him better me or he most definitely does pose a threat to my life,so as soon as he enters my abode,he is threatening my life.
    To think otherwise is just naive.

18. Ben Beckerich

i dont disagree with you. its my feeling that 9 out of 10 scenarios, i'd shoot. but regardless of the reason, the law is very protective- you can have the best reason on earth, but it's not even needed. if he's there to commit residential burglary, he's already well within the scope of justifiable.

19. xm193

thank you
    if a man comes into my home with bad intentions i don't need the government to sanctify my shooting its god given

20. Ben Beckerich

God gives you the right to do any number of things that the government will lock you up for. so be all that as it may, it's still wise to know what your government thinks about something you chose to do. especially when we're dealing with things that have resulted in good men being locked up for the rest of their lives.