JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am hoping someone can give me some procedural advice or point me in the right direction. I live in CA, my brother in WA. He would like me to build him an AR for him. If I buy the lower and do the background check in CA, then build the rifle, what would be the process to legally transfer the rifle to him? I know how to do it from WA to CA, but this is new.

Any advice helpful.

you live in CA where everything including sale of firearms is tracked/registered... and evil features are an actual legal term...

you can buy the lower in CA, build it to CA compliant specs including bullet button

then you go to your FFL, get the right paperwork, mail it to him in WA where he then pays sales tax on it and an FFL transfer fee... including the cost to ship the firearm

seriously for the amount of trouble it's worth, he can just buy a complete lower... or if he really wants it for the value of you making it... costs about as much to fly here for the weekend, build it and then go home to CA...

don't even think of handing it to him if he visits you and have him bring it back.. FTF transfers in CA require an FFL and CA forms not withstanding you are residents of different states

I may have missed a step, but that's the general idea

I know the CA laws and just built my own CA compliant AR. Not all require bullet buttons. I guess I want to WA stand on intrafamily or interstate transfer in this scenario.

1. I buy the lower, build the rifle then on my next visit to WA, I hand it to him. (I know CA would not allow this, but hell, this is a communist state).

2. If not allowed could I just bring it up to a WA FFL and have them do the transfer. (That would be CA legal, so I suspect WA would allow it too.

I called two dealers in tri-cities area and they are all back ordered on lowers since about 2 weeks prior to the election. For some reason they are more available here. Otherwise I was going to have him buy the lower and "loan" it to me when I come up in two weeks and return it to him in May.

Last Edited:
Not to hijack the tread, but I am trying to make sense of the CA gun list. Are specific manufacturers banned? Is it just the Kasler vs Lockyer list with the asterisk? Real confusing

That clears it up quite nicely, thank you. It IS incredible regulation. Doesn't look like I'll be traveling through CA with an AR, unless I get a S&W M&P with a button and no pistol grip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top