Interesting Thoughts from Reason on Guns, Violence and Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Nov 20, 2013.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The Truth About Mental Illness and Guns - Reason.com

My takeaway - never get psychological help.

That is completely wrong. But if the government pays for the sessions - they know about the sessions. Or, if the councilors have to report, due to the laws, then the government knows about the sessions. Even if the government doesn't get the specifics, they learn you sought out mental health care.

I get that mental health professionals have to reports if they believe harm (violence) is imminent.
    But, we all go through things in our life, which we should talk to someone to work thru. No harm is going to happen.

Would this apply to such sessions as pre-marital counseling?
    Would we send up a red flag if we asked if the counselor has to report that we are taking sessions?

2. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County

3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

With rulings , laws and reporting like those in the OP...I wonder just how many gun owners who need help , but aren't a danger to themselves and others will not seek the help they need...for fear of losing their right to keep and bear arms....

I understand the stigma of seeking mental health help* and the desire to keep people safe...but the must report everything attitude and the complete abiding by every law or rule without taking into account each individual and their actions and situation , isn't helpful either....
    (*It is too bad that there is a stigma in first place...)
    Andy

Slobray, KKG and Sgt Nambu like this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

That’s depressing!

Be my last visit to that Dr. I can’t imagine my doc reacting along those lines!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Slobray and AndyinEverson like this.
  5. Colts4me

Colts4me
    Valley floor

I am gonna confuse ya'll with my opinion. Government and psychiatrist want to treat mental problems but don't address the root causes. An example is crime, more jobs equals less crime but they give the jobs away then treat the crime. Mental health is effected by the way people have to live life with no choices so what choices they make are bad ones. The quality of life is greatly effected by government and not always in a good way, the can drive people crazy.

I will give another quick example. Gov pushes safety tips saying you must wear skin block in the sun or you will die of skin cancer. So you block the sun from your skin and you don't get the natural vitamin D you need which not only harms you but effects your mental well being. It's the unintended consequences of bad uninformed policies that cause mental illness in most cases, that's my opinion.

Now a word from our sponsero_O

albin25 likes this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper
    SHUT YOUR FACE!!
    SHUT YOUR FACE!! Gold Supporter

Ronald Regan said it best, “Government IS the problem”. o_O

Slobray, albin25 and Diamondback like this.